Aldeer.com

are the newer remmy adl's any good?

Posted By: paulfish4570

are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 01/23/20 04:44 PM

i've never found a stock bolt-action rifle with a thinner middle for easy carrying. always was able to get older adls to shoot well ...
Posted By: Bull64

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 01/23/20 04:57 PM

Grandson has a new .270 that shoots under 1” with Federal blue box...
Posted By: gundoc

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 01/23/20 07:33 PM

I've bought quite a few new remmys over the past 6ish years. Never had a problem with any of them.

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 01/23/20 07:57 PM

thanks, doc and bull. might try to pick a good used one after deer season ...
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 01/23/20 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by paulfish4570

I have seen some fine older 700's from "grandpaws closet" in pawnshops and on gunbroker for less than the newer ones bring. 30-06 and 270 being the main calibers I see. 308 being the hens tooth of the bunch.

Ive had no problem accuracy or mechanically from any newer 700's but the finish they use nowdays is crappy on the blued guns and you have to really keep on your cleaning and oiling.
Posted By: 1shot

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 01/24/20 02:37 AM

I’ve messed with a few newer ones myself only seen one with an issue. That particular one had a poorly fitted stock in the bolt handle area. The bolt didn’t completely close without contacting the stock. I had to clean that up but no biggie. All the one I’ve dealt with shot moa or better with factory ammo it liked.

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 01/24/20 02:46 AM

thanks, mart and shot ...
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 01/24/20 12:57 PM

Was told that current 700s (last 3-4 years) are all built on new machinery, with current cnc methods and tolerances, and are more tightly controlled than ever. Take that FWIW, coming from a Remington engineer acquaintance. My follow on question was about MIM and decent parkerizing, and that shortened the discussion. OTOH, my limited experience with post-01 Remington rifles indicates they’re much improved for QC over the last 7-8 years.

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 01/24/20 01:38 PM

thanks, dux ...
Posted By: James

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 01/24/20 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1shot
I’ve messed with a few newer ones myself only seen one with an issue. That particular one had a poorly fitted stock in the bolt handle area. The bolt didn’t completely close without contacting the stock. I had to clean that up but no biggie. All the one I’ve dealt with shot moa or better with factory ammo it liked.

Heck I had to do that to my Ruger m77 mkii 300 mag i purchased 16 years ago 😀
Posted By: treemydog

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 01/24/20 11:25 PM

I bought one from a guy a year or so ago. Varmint 223 model... couldnt get a rem action for what I got it for. Thought it was a sps, but when i showed up with the cash, it was an adl model. Bought it anyway and quickly found some bottom metal and converted it to a hinged floorplate and upgrqded the stock. Shoots lights out.
Posted By: Emuckfwa

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 02/25/20 05:23 PM

I've built several nice guns out of the newer ADLs. You can pick them up cheaper than a barreled action. I the last ones I bought were $288 from Buds Online. Makes a good base to start tinkering with new trigger, stock, and bed the action, and they shoot as well as any.
Posted By: Floridajew

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 02/26/20 08:57 AM

I bought a wally world adl chambered in 270 a few years back they sent me a recall statement for the safety issue. Only complaint I have is If I put 3 rounds in internal mag plus one down the pipe dang thing gets hard to cycle by the 3rd round plus I havent changed out scope on it other than that it's a cheap tack driver . During the summer I plan on adding a better set of glass on top of it wish it was another caliber than 270 as well.

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 02/26/20 01:10 PM

thanks, gents. if i go the adl route, it'll get a timney trigger straightaway ...
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 02/26/20 04:20 PM

I have changed several over to the TriggerTech Primary. I like it every bit as much as a Timney.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 02/26/20 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rmart30

I have seen some fine older 700's from "grandpaws closet" in pawnshops and on gunbroker for less than the newer ones bring.

I wish y'alls pawn shop owners would talk to ours.......most of the pawn shops around here have guns that look like they fell out of a truck and got run over a few times, or got left out in the woods for a week or 2, but they ask as much (sometimes more) than the exact same gun would sell for new. I mean, I know they're pricing it high with the expectation of a little haggling, but dang.

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 02/26/20 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle
Originally Posted by Rmart30

I have seen some fine older 700's from "grandpaws closet" in pawnshops and on gunbroker for less than the newer ones bring.

I wish y'alls pawn shop owners would talk to ours.......most of the pawn shops around here have guns that look like they fell out of a truck and got run over a few times, or got left out in the woods for a week or 2, but they ask as much (sometimes more) than the exact same gun would sell for new. I mean, I know they're pricing it high with the expectation of a little haggling, but dang.

Some of them aren't worth even trying to deal with and I agree some will price used guns higher than new ones. Others ive walked out with some very good deals. Less than $300 on nice older Rem 700's with no glass.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 02/26/20 10:18 PM

What do y'all think about the triggers? Most of the ones I have messed with feel like there must be sand in the stock and the finish on the gun overall.... you'd be better off getting one of those rifles from the pawn shop with road rash and hitting it with some Krylon.

If you are trying to modify it... that's one thing. If not....get a Weatherby Vanguard or a Savage. You can get a Ruger Hawkeye from CDNN for $500.

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 02/27/20 12:27 AM

On the newer 700's I havent felt what I would call a good trigger on any of them other than maybe one or two.. I go into a 700 new or old knowing im going to put a $100 timney in it. Crisp, no creep and adjustable weight. Worth the $100 to me and takes 5 minutes to do.

Re: are the newer remmy adl's any good? - 02/27/20 12:58 PM

thanks, gents. i've refiubished several adls pre-remlin; all good shooters after bedding and barrel floating. the adl plastic stocks fit me very, very well, and have a narrow middle for toting. those are the main reasons i'm considering one for a project.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM