Aldeer.com

best combo of weight/comfort in a climber?

Posted By: paulfish4570

best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/04/19 07:01 PM

i'm 68, but in much better health these days, so i'm looking to get off the ground occasionally. looking for a climber that's the best combination of light weight and 3 hours of comfort. what says the aldeer hive mind?
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/04/19 07:02 PM

Summit will be the number one answer but I prefer the Ol man stands
Posted By: buckhunter2

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/04/19 08:03 PM

TreeWalker hands down!

My summit and API never the leave the attic now.

Ol man is a particularly useful option if faking your own death is your “mo”.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/04/19 08:54 PM

I'll take a summit goliath any day. Like a recliner in a tree.

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/04/19 10:16 PM

the goliath looks comfy, but light weight is my first priority, then comfort, i think. i'm no longer an all-day sitter, and i ain't strong like bull any more. 2-3 hours at a whack is it ...
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/04/19 10:20 PM

A Lone wolf is going to be the lightest, but some find them uncomfortable and they get some getting used to. A summit viper is going to be a lighter version of the Goliath. Very comfortable and can be very comfortable to carry with molle straps and belt, but is bulkier and heavier than the LW.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/04/19 10:42 PM

Summit Goliath, next question?

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/04/19 10:48 PM

goliath is way too heavy for me to tote. if i could still tote that much, and stay in the stand all day, i'd be all over it. i'll give up comfort for light weight. i'd guess sub 20 pounds.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/05/19 12:02 AM

Summit viper aluminum
Posted By: Stob

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/05/19 12:14 AM

My API Grand Slam Magnum Supreme is VERY comfortable.
Once you get in the tree. I would not want to tote it around
Choccolocco WMA.
Posted By: AC870

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/05/19 01:18 AM

Get the lone wolf sit-n-climb. Sat in a friend’s this morning. I’ll be getting another one.

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/05/19 01:36 PM

thanks to all ...
Posted By: grundan

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/05/19 02:35 PM

The summit open shot is listed at 15lbs. I have the old steel version. It’s a good stand. Like already mentioned, the lone wolf is probably the lightest and a 3 hour sit should be easy

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/05/19 04:59 PM

thanks, grundan. i just don't know if my 68-year-old core can do the hand/forearm climb any more. the summit open would be my ideal weight ...
Posted By: grundan

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/06/19 12:30 AM

Hey 4570, I just saw a lone wolf for sale in classified ads
Posted By: Jason Carroll

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/08/19 08:52 PM

The aluminum summit is probably the easiest to use and the most comfortable, for me anyways. It's really not bad on the body and you can take it 6" at a time which would not be inconvenient.. if you have hand or forearm issues you could always get one that you sit down and climb. I've never used one so I don't know what is involved muscle wise to climb with one.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/08/19 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by paulfish4570
goliath is way too heavy for me to tote. if i could still tote that much, and stay in the stand all day, i'd be all over it. i'll give up comfort for light weight. i'd guess sub 20 pounds.

I'm a big fella, but my knees and hip give me fits, as well as sciatic nerve pain. Summit stands are the only ones I can sit comfortably in for any amount of time. I can carry the goliath with my hunting pack attached to it pretty easy and the total weight is at least 40 lbs. Very easy to climb with this stand, and unmatched for comfort.

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/11/19 01:24 PM

thanks, gents ...
Posted By: bill

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/11/19 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by paulfish4570

Paul, they make a Summit Viper Mini that weighs 18lbs and still is rated for 300lbs. The Lone Wolf will definitely be the lightest option but you give up some comfort and they are expensive.

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/11/19 10:35 PM

thanks, bill. the stand would function as a climbing ladder stand, that i can move occasionally from area to area on my son's place. i need something as light as possible so i don't have to pester him to help me move it around.
Posted By: 280AI_HAMMER

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/14/19 09:35 PM

Cougar claw wish it had the spikes like the tree walker
Posted By: hardluck

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/14/19 10:00 PM

If you can find a Timbertall tree stand they are real light. I am not sure if they are still making stands though. I never could get used to the square tubing welded in an angle and that was what bit into the tree. It was comfortable but I like a summit and cougar claw.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/15/19 04:00 AM

I have an old API something-or-other, Cougar, I think. It's light enough, and I pull it apart now and then to inspect the cables for corrosion. I'm comfortable in it.
Posted By: Stickers

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/27/19 02:02 AM

Ol.' Man Vision.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/27/19 03:28 AM

I prefer the API grand slam. Those summit vipers are light and very comfortable but a bitch to handle, IMO.

Dr. B

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/27/19 02:01 PM

i appreciate all of the advice. i've had to hold off because of an ankle sprain; no way i can lift the bottom piece now, and don't know when i'd be able to do so. it's a top of the ankle thing that doesn't bother me walking, but it'd be a PITA to use a climber ...
Posted By: 1955Retiree

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/27/19 03:15 PM

Tree Lounger 19 lbs.
Posted By: High_Voltage

Re: best combo of weight/comfort in a climber? - 12/31/19 03:03 AM

Summit 180 max with surround seat
© 2024 ALDEER.COM