Aldeer.com

Muzzle Brake

Posted By: JKlep

Muzzle Brake - 11/11/19 03:40 PM

Considering putting a muzzle brake on my 700 sps tactical.308. 1 in 10 twist with a 20" heavy barrel. It is already threaded for brake or suppressor. Gun is very accurate already. I have heard the brake will help with fine tuning,but I am skeptical. What are yall's opinions/ and or recommendations on type etc.? And possibly best place to find.

Thanks guys.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/11/19 04:11 PM

From what I've read it can help but, there's also a chance for less accuracy. The 2 reasons I wouldn't on that gun for me would be the noise and the recoils not bad on that gun in my opinion. That brake will blast some ears if someone's with you not wearing hearing protection. My buddy shot a mt goat in Kodiak and i forgot to put my plugs in, my ears rang forever once I could gear again lol
Posted By: 1shot

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/11/19 04:12 PM

Muzzle brakes are the devil.. All kidding aside I’ve seen guns both ways better and worse. Plenty of off the shelf brakes out there or you can have a smith make you one for typically around $100

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...s/muzzle-brake-30-caliber-prod86909.aspx
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/11/19 04:32 PM

Hate the damn noisy things, especially when someone is pounding through a full magazine with his AR next to me at the range. 😈
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/11/19 08:07 PM

Here is my logic: If it shoots don't mess with it.
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/11/19 09:50 PM

The only reason I would put a brake on that would be if I was having trouble staying on target to see hits.
Posted By: JKlep

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/11/19 10:03 PM

No problems with staying on target or with recoil at all, was just wanting yall's opinion on it and if you thought it may be of any benefit. I guess I should keep the theory of "If it is not broken, dont fix it!" or "If it shoots don't mess with it" as Goatkiller said.

Thanks all.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/11/19 10:51 PM

First time I’ve ever heard someone trying to tighten groups by adding a brake. Some people like them. I DESPISE them
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/11/19 11:22 PM

I hate em, bout deafened myself shooting a big buck with a 375H&H with one.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/12/19 12:23 AM

No way in Hell I'd add a muzzle brake to any weapon that I own and I have the same rifle that's being discussed, threaded and all that.
Posted By: James

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/12/19 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller

Here is my logic: If it shoots don't mess with it.

This.
Posted By: .308

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/12/19 10:39 AM

I had a brake put on my Ruger American 7.62 when I bought it, the barrel was threaded & it looks cool enough but man it's loud. No way I would shoot it without hearing protection.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/14/19 07:30 PM

i had a Troy muzzle brake put on that exact gun when i had mine - as .308 says above, it looks cool on the gun; i didn't have any issues with accuracy ...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: daylate

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/15/19 01:03 AM

If recoil is not an issue, why consider a muzzle brake? Just asking because I am not aware of any other function of a muzzle brake except reducing recoil.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/15/19 03:54 AM

Maybe 300mag up other wise it's just something else to clean on the gun.its Worth the trade off on a semi auto but don't find it useful in a bolt gun
Posted By: jrs89

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/15/19 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by joshm28
First time I’ve ever heard someone trying to tighten groups by adding a brake. Some people like them. I DESPISE them

Way to loud.
Posted By: burbank

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/15/19 12:27 PM

Sat beside a guy at the range with a 300 win mag (with MB) and it was horribly loud. Almost shook your insides when he shot it.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/15/19 12:29 PM

The thing about having a threaded barrel; for a hundred bucks or so the op can install a self timing brake like a little bastard, or hellfire, and if he doesn’t like it he can unscrew it and be done with it.

They definitely make the gun seem louder to the shooter, and bystanders, but like anything else they have their place. Personally I find great enjoyment in tinkering with a gun and don’t blame the guy for wanting to try something different.

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/15/19 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Bunny
The thing about having a threaded barrel; for a hundred bucks or so the op can install a self timing brake like a little bastard, or hellfire, and if he doesn’t like it he can unscrew it and be done with it.

They definitely make the gun seem louder to the shooter, and bystanders, but like anything else they have their place. Personally I find great enjoyment in tinkering with a gun and don’t blame the guy for wanting to try something different.

They are louder to the shooter, but WAAAY louder to anyone to the side of the shooter. Hate the damn things.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/15/19 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

They are louder to the shooter, but WAAAY louder to anyone to the side of the shooter. Hate the damn things.

People to the side of the shooter would be considered a bystander.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/15/19 02:04 PM

I have the same gun. I have a brake on it for the sole purpose of attaching my suppressor. If I am not shooting the suppressor, I remove the brake. It is way louder with the brake than without it.

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/15/19 02:23 PM

My Warbird has one and it's loud as hell! I've rattled some SOBs out of their tree stands with that bad girl 😀

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/15/19 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

People to the side of the shooter would be considered a bystander.

Bystanders get blast and noise a helluva lot worse than the shooter.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/15/19 03:11 PM

screw brakes.....................if our lawmakers had any damn sense, suppressors would be available "over the counter" at any retail store that sells hunting equipment. Hell, in some places they're not just allowed, they're required, like cars are required to have mufflers.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/15/19 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

screw brakes.....................if our lawmakers had any damn sense, suppressors would be available "over the counter" at any retail store that sells hunting equipment. Hell, in some places they're not just allowed, they're required, like cars are required to have mufflers.

go to the zone ... AutoZone

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/15/19 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

Ha, hard pass. I'm way too pretty to go to prison.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/16/19 04:30 AM

I have two 30 cal magnums with brakes. One is a lightweight mountain rifle and has about zero kick.

It drops everything I shoot at, so don't worry about hearing damage. It's one and done.

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/16/19 04:43 AM

It can be done legally you know lol
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/16/19 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by TickaTicka
It drops everything I shoot at, so don't worry about hearing damage.

The day will come when this statement haunts you.
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/16/19 01:43 PM

Generally, yes, brakes suck....However, there are some forward vent designs with no side porting that mitigate some recoil and don’t redirect any more noise/blast back at the shooter. Conversely, most of these are heavy, and can change tune, even on a heavy barrel. For my few hunting ARs and other stuff that a brake is run on, I have access to some custom made, Titanium, forward vent brakes that weigh next to nothing and don’t increase blast/noise in any situation. They have had zero detrimental effects on accuracy, that I could tell. Something like that might be your huckleberry, but they’re not cheap....due to the titanium, but they’re cheaper than the big name versions online. $100-125 vs $200. 5/8x24 (26/27/30) and 1/2x28 (223).
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/16/19 02:11 PM

My 7 mag has a muzzle brake on it. Shoots like a dream but is extremely loud. I mean head busting loud.

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/17/19 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by James

It can be done legally you know lol

Not without jumping through lengthy expensive hoops.
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/17/19 12:45 AM

I'll shoot the Alaska survival model 1 Derringer in 45/70 before shooting a braked rifle.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/18/19 02:27 AM

It isn’t expensive. Lengthy, yes. Expensive no.

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/18/19 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote

Maybe.

Find the muzzle break.

Find the dead elk 600 yards away. I pulled the trigger once. It flopped.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/18/19 01:36 PM

Nice rifle minus the brake lol. As someone who has hearing damage you will absolutely regret not protecting your ears. Mines due to working in and around heavy manufacturing during my consulting days. (Steel Mills and Paper Mills). I’m slowly doing away with anything that doesn’t have a removable brake.

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/18/19 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by doekiller

Your definition of expensive and mine are obviously different.

$200 for the stamp, for each suppressor. Then, from what I can tell you have to be willing to spend at least $500-600 for a decent suppressor, and that's on the low end. Just the $200 stamp is enough to price a lot of folks out of them when they're struggling to afford a $500ish entry-level deer rifle, but you're really investing $700-800 for each one.

I got to believe if they were deregulated, the prices would drop significantly.

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/18/19 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by doekiller

Your definition of expensive and mine are obviously different.

$200 for the stamp, for each suppressor. Then, from what I can tell you have to be willing to spend at least $500-600 for a decent suppressor, and that's on the low end. Just the $200 stamp is enough to price a lot of folks out of them when they're struggling to afford a $500ish entry-level deer rifle, but you're really investing $700-800 for each one.

I got to believe if they were deregulated, the prices would drop significantly.

Truth. Government regulation only serves to drive costs up.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/19/19 02:30 PM

Maybe.

Find the muzzle break.

[Linked Image]

Ticka That is one hell of a beautiful picture!

Re: Muzzle Brake - 11/20/19 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by olemossy

Maybe.

Find the muzzle break.

[Linked Image]

Ticka That is one hell of a beautiful picture!

MT is an amazing place.

I might shoot my rifle outside of a range 5-6 times per year. I may or may not have hearing protection on when that happens. At the range, I've always got it on.

But I will shoot hundreds of 12 GA loads during hunting season. That's where my hearing loss will come from, not my rifle.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM