Aldeer.com

AR issue

Posted By: Bar7Mag

AR issue - 10/13/19 01:36 PM

I bought a complete lower from an individual. I bought a complete upper from palmetto state. Took them to the range today for the first time. Tried loading a round and the round went in the chamber but bolt stopped short of closing. I used the charging handle to close the bolt manually. Sighted in on target and click...no boom...pulled back on charging handle to make sure lug had a hold of the round it did so I shut it again and click...Repeated this process several times with other rounds and only once got the gun to fire...any clue what I got going on here...kinda bummed cause I wanted to sight it in for my boys to take on the Tennessee youth hunt...

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 01:37 PM

Also several times after manually closing the round would not be grabbed by the bolt.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 01:53 PM

Are you pushing the release on the side and letting the bolt slam forward ?
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 01:58 PM

Dry fire it with the upper and lower separated. It should cock and fire repeatedly with no issues unless selector is on safe. The click should be covering that, but i’d Start there. Then tear it down and clean everything and lube it up good. New bolts can be rather tight until worn in a little
Posted By: kpswihart

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by CatHeadBiscuit
Dry fire it with the upper and lower separated. It should cock and fire repeatedly with no issues unless selector is on safe. The click should be covering that, but i’d Start there. Then tear it down and clean everything and lube it up good. New bolts can be rather tight until worn in a little

You may consider letting the hammer fall on your thumb and not the actual lower to avoid possibly cracking it.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dixiepatriot

My first thought exactly.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 03:23 PM

I’d be leaning towards an ammo, magazine, or bcg issue. Were the primers dented on the ammo from the times the rifle went into battery and “clicked” but didn’t fire? If you’ve got access to other ammo & magazines those will be easy enough to eliminate as possible causes. Wish I were closer and could help you figure it out, always easier when you can lay hands on the problem. Like Dixie said, let that bolt slam forward when loading it. AR’s don’t respond well to babying or easing the bolt into battery.

Originally Posted by CatHeadBiscuit

This too ^^^^
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 03:26 PM

Did you clean an lube it. A dry AR will do this. Especially the BCG.

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 03:28 PM

Beat like a rented mule!

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 03:30 PM

Should have said that the primers were not dented al allZ

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 03:30 PM

What do y’all recommend lubing it with. I have rem oil on hand.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 03:51 PM

Rem oil will work, take BCG apart to oil and see if anything doesn't look right.

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 03:54 PM

If that is what you have use it. I know a guy that sprays Pam on his. Can't be any worse than that stuff that comes in that OD green little squirt bottle.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 04:02 PM

I prefer StrikeHold CDLP but a little Dexron ATF will go a long ways towards lubricating a firearm.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 04:16 PM

Lube it up and work it by hand a few dozen times. You will probably feel it loosen up. PSA sells a good product, but they are tight and dry.

The last one I put together using their upper, I had to run a mag through it with a BCG from another gun then put the one it shipped with back in it, and it runs great.

If the bolt is closing and hammer is falling and you aren't getting primer hits, that is a headspace issue - maybe a broke firing pin - but either way, a whole different ball of wax.

If the bolt isn't closing all the way, the hammer may be hitting the rear edge of the carrier and making sound like everything is working correctly when the trigger is pulled, when it really isn't.

As stated above, let it fly home by releasing the BCG with the bolt release, or sling shot it with the charging handle. after lubing and hand cycling. Let us know what happenes
Posted By: roadkill

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 04:31 PM

I'm no expert with them but have lots of experience. I'm over toward Arab so if you want to bring it over and I can look at it plus take it down the road to a secluded place and test fire it.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: AR issue - 10/13/19 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bar7Mag
Should have said that the primers were not dented al allZ

Mine usually has dented primers just from chambering a round.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: AR issue - 10/14/19 01:02 AM

do not close the charging handle manually pull it back and let go so it slams into battery it needs some force to close and properly lock the bolt lugs. also check firing pin if its going into battery and not even denting primer it may be missing or broke.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: AR issue - 10/14/19 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by doekiller
Originally Posted by Dixiepatriot

My first thought exactly.

Still wondering about this.
Posted By: kpswihart

Re: AR issue - 10/14/19 12:39 PM

Maybe obvious, but was the firing pin retaining pin installed before the firing pin?

Re: AR issue - 10/16/19 12:57 AM

Sorry Guys, been super busy. I was not hitting the button on the side to release the bolt I was pulling back the charging handle and letting it go. Does that accomplish the same thing or do we get more force with the button on the side. I literally know nothing about these and I think I am going to build one to my specs so that I can actually put all the pieces together(instead of buying a complete lower). I don't think that will be too complicated. Is there anybody around Huntsvegas that would help me build the upper? I have an upper and lower (both stripped) that should make for a fun project to involve my sons in.
Posted By: bambam32

Re: AR issue - 10/16/19 01:14 AM

Can you quantify stopped short of closing? Are you talking a half inch or a millimeter? Will the bolt close without ammo? One of my rifles will not go into battery with 556 even though it clearly says 556/223 on the lower.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: AR issue - 10/16/19 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by bambam32
One of my rifles will not go into battery with 556 even though it clearly says 556/223 on the lower.

What caliber is roll marked onto your barrel? The lower will have nothing to do with rounds not chambering.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: AR issue - 10/16/19 02:02 AM

There’s a shop next to Mr Big guns on Jordan Lane that specializes in AR building. Might be helpful to drop by and talk to him.
Posted By: 2Tgunworks

Re: AR issue - 10/16/19 03:00 AM

pm sent
Posted By: bambam32

Re: AR issue - 10/16/19 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote
Originally Posted by bambam32
One of my rifles will not go into battery with 556 even though it clearly says 556/223 on the lower.

What caliber is roll marked onto your barrel? The lower will have nothing to do with rounds not chambering.

556 NATO 1/7
Posted By: doekiller

Re: AR issue - 10/16/19 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bar7Mag
Sorry Guys, been super busy. I was not hitting the button on the side to release the bolt I was pulling back the charging handle and letting it go. Does that accomplish the same thing or do we get more force with the button on the side.

No, pulling back the charging handle doesn’t do the same thing as hitting the slide release.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM