Aldeer.com

Question for suppressor gurus

Posted By: Kcub

Question for suppressor gurus - 09/17/19 02:39 AM

I just received a silencerco 9k that I plan to use on a .300 BO pistol. I was planning to direct thread it but the guy at the shop was telling me that it would work better and be quieter using a quick detach mount. Is that the case or was the guy just trying to up-sell me?
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/17/19 05:50 AM

I can’t tell a difference, other than it’s easier to get on and off.
Posted By: Thread Killer

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/17/19 07:40 AM

How much money do these silencers cost?
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/17/19 10:41 AM

Attachment method has absolutely zero effect on suppression unless it's a muzzle brake mounted suppressor. He's trying to sell you a mount that you don't need.
Posted By: James

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/17/19 01:51 PM

[Linked Image]

Pffft.............
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/17/19 02:07 PM

I can’t speak to that model but there are some suppressors which benefit from muzzle-brake style mounts IF you use them with rifle rounds. Something about baffle erosion. But those are primarily pistol cans.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/17/19 02:13 PM

Won't be quieter, just easier to get on and off. Also QD mounts help make sure that you torque it down to the same spot every time so as not to change POI, not that it would make a huge difference on a 300 blk though.
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/17/19 02:52 PM

If you’re gonna leave it mounted and not swap it on/off much, there’s no benefit I know of. If you are swapping it around/re-installing it, there’s a level of consistency for POI shift that is potentially pretty big with some models and barrel combos. It’s why the Knight military suppressor flash hider mounts were specs to all be within .0001 % in weight.....because dudes were potentially swapping M4A1s and other rigs with them, and POI shift needed to be predictable.

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/17/19 05:13 PM

That is what I thought. He was just trying to up-sell me. This particular suppressor will stay mounted on this weapon and will not be swapped out. I have another suppressor with QD mount for switching back and forth on other rifles. Thanks for the feed back!
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/17/19 07:40 PM

id rather have a mount for it so it can interchange to rifles with different thread patterns by only buying a new mount rather than another supressor
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/17/19 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Thread Killer
How much money do these silencers cost?

Like most anything in life there are different price points and applications.
$300-3,000
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/17/19 08:09 PM

I direct thread mine but I could see a possible benefit in sound reduction with the QD mount which acts like a muzzle brake WITHOUT the can. It would disturb the airflow a little better in the expansion chamber. Is it enough difference to “hear”? That I am unsure of.
Posted By: Peanut Man

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/28/19 02:36 AM

I should be getting my suppressor back next month. Is there a good tutorial on mounting it y'all would recommend? I am going to direct thread mine.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/28/19 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Peanut Man
I should be getting my suppressor back next month. Is there a good tutorial on mounting it y'all would recommend? I am going to direct thread mine.

Are you serious? You screw it on the barrel. That’s it.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/28/19 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by joshm28

I find it hard to believe someone invested that kind of money in a suppressor and cant figure out which way to turn it to screw it on
Posted By: ValleyDawg

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/28/19 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by GKelly
Originally Posted by joshm28

I find it hard to believe someone invested that kind of money in a suppressor and cant figure out which way to turn it to screw it on

Um..... Righty tighty, lefty loosey.... That outta do it. grin

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/28/19 05:14 PM

I should be getting my suppressor back next month.

Getting it back? You mean you had it, now don't have it but expect it again soon?
Posted By: willdo22

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/28/19 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kcub
I just received a silencerco 9k that I plan to use on a .300 BO pistol. I was planning to direct thread it but the guy at the shop was telling me that it would work better and be quieter using a quick detach mount. Is that the case or was the guy just trying to up-sell me?

FYI that 9k is only rated for subsonic ammo for .300blk.....

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/28/19 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by willdo22

Look out!! She's gonna blow!!! laugh
Posted By: gman

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 09/29/19 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote

Look out!! She's gonna blow!!! laugh
would suck to get an over pressured round like i did last i was at range! Pow pow pow BOOM! Blew the firing cap out the back of the casing.

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 10/01/19 04:08 AM

Well it is direct threaded to 300 blackout shoot
Tin nothing but harnady 190 brain blackout rounds through if

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 10/01/19 04:39 AM

The Omega 9k is rated for Supersonic also....
Posted By: willdo22

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 10/01/19 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by James

Hmm I thought I read Wednesday that it was subs only...I'll have to recheck the one I'm waiting to lose in a boating accident.

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 10/29/19 12:57 PM

It is surprisingly loud. I shot it next to someone shooting supers out of his and mine with the suppressor and subs was as loud, maybe even louder. Was wondering if this is due it being on a AR pistol?
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 10/29/19 01:47 PM

ARs are always louder to the ear than bolt guns because of the action slamming forward(assuming your subs will cycle the weapon).
Posted By: thayerp81

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 10/31/19 06:36 PM

Hmm I thought I read Wednesday that it was subs only...I'll have to recheck the one I'm waiting to lose in a boating accident.

You may have been looking at the Osprey 9, they are rated for subsonic only in 300BO. I bought one years ago when the osprey was the only model they offered (serial # is under 100)... its an amazing can, but wish it was stronger and more versatile like their newer models.

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 10/31/19 07:05 PM

It is surprisingly loud. I shot it next to someone shooting supers out of his and mine with the suppressor and subs was as loud, maybe even louder. Was wondering if this is due it being on a AR pistol?

My AR pistol with subs is comparable to a 22 Magnum
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 10/31/19 08:01 PM

My AR pistol with subs is comparable to a 22 Magnum

That is what I was thinking. Something is not working correctly if it is a loud as an unsuppressed gun.
Posted By: DonH

Re: Question for suppressor gurus - 10/31/19 09:20 PM

I put the asr brake mount on my rifles so I can swap my suppressor from one rig to the next easily.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM