Aldeer.com

finally found the gun I've always wanted!

Posted By: flounderpounder

finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/29/19 11:27 PM

I finally found me a Steyr in .270wsm today. Its nib but its the matte finish and that's the only thing I don't like about styer's.. Can any of you guys recommend anyone who does cerakoting in the Mobile area?? is there a better protective process that anyone would recommend over cerakote??
Posted By: BCLC

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/30/19 12:43 AM

Congrats on your bucket list rifle!

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/30/19 12:58 AM

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/30/19 01:02 AM

Also going to try my hand at loading my own ammo.. So I'm probably going to have some questions here soon and would appreciate any advice.
Posted By: Bull64

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/30/19 01:30 AM

thumbupget it to gundoc
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/30/19 01:42 AM

Post a picture of it

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/30/19 02:04 AM

I can't figure out how, I've tried!!! I don't mind texting pic after I take a few to someone if they want to put them up.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/30/19 11:12 AM

Am I wrong in thinking that the matte finish actually is a high end rust preventive finish?

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/30/19 11:46 AM

RH that’s what they say but I have a 7mm-08 with the 20” barrel that if it gets wet you better clean it within a few hours if not you will wake up to Orange spots all over that thing!! Every Steyr I’ve ever owned that wasn’t stainless would do that same thing. If you go to some of the Steyr owner forums there are a lot of complaints of the non stainless guns rusting easily, especially with the older models. But you are right they claim there is a built in rust preventative in the metal.
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/30/19 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by flounderpounder
Also going to try my hand at loading my own ammo.. So I'm probably going to have some questions here soon and would appreciate any advice.

A 140gr Accubond is amazing. I’ve got about 15 one shot kills with my weatherby 270wsm and those bullets. Most make it less than 10 yards. I think you will really like the round.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/30/19 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Am I wrong in thinking that the matte finish actually is a high end rust preventive finish?

If it's anything like the matte finish on a Ruger Hawkeye, it will rust if the humidity is above 50% I rub the metal down with a silicone gun cloth and it works well to prohibit rust.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/30/19 06:53 PM

I haven't had any corrosion problems with any of my 5 Steyrs.

I'm not sure when Steyr began using the Mannox finish, but this is straight from Steyr:

The new MANNOX (TM) surfaces finish combines a black matte deluxe optical look with outstanding functional features such as:

* 100 % corrosion resistancy
* Highest scuffing - abrasion resistancy
* Minimum reflection
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/30/19 08:06 PM

The Wsm family likes slower burners. Never met a Steyr that would'nt shoot well.
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/30/19 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by dave260rem!
Never met a Steyr that wouldn't shoot well.

Times 2!
Posted By: James

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/30/19 11:41 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posting up for FP..........
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/30/19 11:57 PM

RH that’s what they say but I have a 7mm-08 with the 20” barrel that if it gets wet you better clean it within a few hours if not you will wake up to Orange spots all over that thing!! Every Steyr I’ve ever owned that wasn’t stainless would do that same thing. If you go to some of the Steyr owner forums there are a lot of complaints of the non stainless guns rusting easily, especially with the older models. But you are right they claim there is a built in rust preventative in the metal.

You should know then .I just thought it was like a nitride finish sort of similar to parkerized. I would see how it does before coating it but I'm not a big fan of coatings anyway. I would rather just clean them with some metal polish and not worry about the finish wearing off.
Posted By: k bush

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/31/19 03:06 AM

Gundoc for the cerakote. Always.
Posted By: Morris

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/31/19 07:01 AM

I could help make arrangements to get it to me from Orange Beach this Sunday/Monday. I can get it to Gundoc next week
Posted By: crocker

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 08/31/19 09:51 PM

I will be leaving gulf shores early Monday and driving close to gundoc myself.
Posted By: jrs89

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 09/01/19 07:42 PM

Heck yea man! 270wsm is nice! I mainly hunt with a model 70 in 270wsm.

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 09/03/19 02:22 AM

Gundoc do I have to do an FFL to have it shipped back to me??
Posted By: Morris

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 09/03/19 03:12 AM

I believe I’m headed to OB mid-late October
Posted By: Fldoghunter

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 09/04/19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Morris

You dont have to go through an FFL to have it shipped back to you. I sent a ruger pistol back to the factory twice and they sent it back straight to me.
Posted By: AU67Skeeter

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 09/04/19 07:21 PM

I finally found me a Steyr in .270wsm today. Its nib but its the matte finish and that's the only thing I don't like about styer's.. Can any of you guys recommend anyone who does cerakoting in the Mobile area?? is there a better protective process that anyone would recommend over cerakote??

Stone Arms in West Mobile, located west of snow road, in front of Richards Garage and Dollar General.

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 09/04/19 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fldoghunter

You dont have to go through an FFL to have it shipped back to you. I sent a ruger pistol back to the factory twice and they sent it back straight to me.

Yeah i believe Doc will say otherwise. I also had to send a ruger back this year and it was shipped back to me, but it was the frame (not stamped with serial ###)

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 09/04/19 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by AU67Skeeter

Stone Arms in West Mobile, located west of snow road, in front of Richards Garage and Dollar General.

Good folks, but they don't do it in house, I turned him on to some one that's local....
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 09/04/19 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by James

Yeah i believe Doc will say otherwise. I also had to send a ruger back this year and it was shipped back to me, but it was the frame (not stamped with serial ###)

As long as it's a repair or replacement of the same model, it can be shipped directly to you from the manufacturer....even across state lines.

Of course, in flounderpounder's situation, it's no problem anyway. Long guns can be mailed in-state with zero problems....even from individual to individual.

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 09/04/19 08:54 PM

Cool. I've only sent off handguns and not long guns....
Posted By: gundoc

Re: finally found the gun I've always wanted! - 09/04/19 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by James

Yeah I can ship right back to Flounderpounder.

James I wasn't aware I could send it right back to you when we did your pistol. I later found out I can/could.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM