Aldeer.com

AR Pistol Braces.

Posted By: gundoc

AR Pistol Braces. - 08/13/19 05:23 PM

I'm hearing rumblings the ATF under Trumps direction is about to reclassify braced pistols as SBRs...

I've heard it from 2 different sources, but it still just scuttlebutt and this point.

Any one else heard anything about this
Posted By: GKelly

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/13/19 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by gundoc
I'm hearing rumblings the ATF under Trumps direction is about to reclassify braced pistols as SBRs...

I've heard it from 2 different sources, but it still just scuttlebutt and this point.

Any one else heard anything about this

I saw that coming the day they made the opinion to allow them thats why I SBR'd mine anyway.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/13/19 05:29 PM

I have not, but it seems like low hanging fruit and it would not surprise me one bit.

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/13/19 05:38 PM

so if they reclassify them what do you do while waiting on a tax stamp? youve already assembled an SBR without a tax stamp do you just break it back down into parts while you wait or just put a regular old non braced pistol buffer tube on it?

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/13/19 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by GKelly
so if they reclassify them what do you do while waiting on a tax stamp? youve already assembled an SBR without a tax stamp do you just break it back down into parts while you wait or just put a regular old non braced pistol buffer tube on it?

Good question. I guess folks who own them will just have to wait and see what happens.

This is precisely why I didn't/don't like the platform.

Too easy to change the legality of them based on someone's interpretation
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/13/19 06:44 PM

I've heard it. The two people I've heard it from are as reliable and connected as someone outside of the BATF can be. It's pretty much a done deal
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/13/19 07:44 PM

so if they reclassify them what do you do while waiting on a tax stamp?

You go ahead and throw a suppressor on it...If you're gonna be a felon, might as well be a quiet one.
Posted By: KHOOKS

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/13/19 08:10 PM

looks like shucks like this would grand daddy in if you already have them. This sucks cause I was going to order a CMMG Banshee 300 in 9mm around X-mas. Now I may have to go the NFA route and cost me $200 and more time.

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/13/19 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by KHOOKS
looks like shucks like this would grand daddy in if you already have them. This sucks cause I was going to order a CMMG Banshee 300 in 9mm around X-mas. Now I may have to go the NFA route and cost me $200 and more time.

nope theyll use the same logic they did with bumpstocks.I been telling people this would happen for years to just go ahead and SBR it and be done with it. ATF opinion letters mean nothing they can change them whenever they feel like it.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/13/19 09:35 PM

Hypothetical....if you wanted a SBR that was suppressed, would you have to pay for 2 stamps (1 for the SBR and 1 for the Suppressor)? Or is it just one for the weapon as a whole?
Posted By: KHOOKS

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/13/19 09:45 PM

I would like to think it could be done as one item. But if it is not a integral suppressed i bet you would have to get one for each.

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/13/19 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

Hypothetical....if you wanted a SBR that was suppressed, would you have to pay for 2 stamps (1 for the SBR and 1 for the Suppressor)? Or is it just one for the weapon as a whole?

If you permanently attach the suppressor, and it's 16" or longer, one stamp
Posted By: James

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/13/19 11:37 PM

nope theyll use the same logic they did with bumpstocks.I been telling people this would happen for years to just go ahead and SBR it and be done with it. ATF opinion letters mean nothing they can change them whenever they feel like it.

Well from my understanding they are coming under fire because the Dayton shooter used a Ar Pistol in the shooting
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/14/19 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by James

Well from my understanding they are coming under fire because the Dayton shooter used a Ar Pistol in the shooting

And then all the people that had nothing to do with it get punished. Oughta be some kind of spray for liberals.
Posted By: Cynical

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/14/19 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by CKyleC
Originally Posted by GomerPyle

If you permanently attach the suppressor, and it's 16" or longer, one stamp

It’s not an SBR if it’s over 16” though.

The answer is yes, two stamps, if the barrel is less than 16” (with permanently pinned or soldered suppressor, or without it being permanent).

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/14/19 01:01 AM

A FFL 07/02 SOT can manufacture a <16" integrally suppressed rifle and it only be one stamp. There's not many of these in the wild, or many people building them, but it is possible
Posted By: willdo22

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/14/19 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote

And then all the people that had nothing to do with it get punished. Oughta be some kind of spray for liberals.

Roundup, but it would take awhile and they might get a monetary settlement.
Posted By: James

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/14/19 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote

But of course. And i don't think it'll end here either
Posted By: Cynical

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/14/19 01:36 AM

A FFL 07/02 SOT can manufacture a <16" integrally suppressed rifle and it only be one stamp. There's not many of these in the wild, or many people building them, but it is possible

I am a manufacturer, with a class 2 SOT. I stand by my answer: Two stamps.

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/14/19 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cynical

I am a manufacturer, with a class 2 SOT. I stand by my answer: Two stamps.

Y'all originally said the same thing, just differently
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/14/19 02:09 PM

i think the term "some braces" was used, there sure is alot of braces "on sale" from several stores recently.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/15/19 01:50 PM

This would be stupid because anyone can change the stock on an AR to any configuration. To be effective they would have to not allow AR Pistols period. 16" minimum barrel length.

Again... this would only hurt law abiding citizens and prevent nothing.

Of course anything they propose would only hurt law abiding citizens. We all know that's how this works.

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/15/19 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
This would be stupid because anyone can change the stock on an AR to any configuration. To be effective they would have to not allow AR Pistols period. 16" minimum barrel length.

Again... this would only hurt law abiding citizens and prevent nothing.

Of course anything they propose would only hurt law abiding citizens. We all know that's how this works.

you are correct anyone can order the parts to make an SBR short of the lower receiver and have them shipped to their door. someone set on committing a crime that is going to cost their life either by death or in prison isnt going to care about a 10 year penalty for making one unregistered. when I made my SBR I had all the parts disassembled in the top of the safe for near a year waiting on my tax stamp if i really wanted to nothing would have prevented me from making one without registering it. They know it wont make a difference too thats what they want because then they can point out all the meaningless laws that arent working to push for an all out ban.
Posted By: globe

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/15/19 02:24 PM

My question would be, would someone about to do a mass shooting care about the law......?
It’s truly amazing that they think it’ll make a difference.
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/15/19 09:47 PM

It ain't about making a difference in shootings or whatnot. It's about one step closer to an all out ban and doing away with the 2nd amendment.

Re: AR Pistol Braces. - 08/16/19 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by just_an_illusion
It ain't about making a difference in shootings or whatnot. It's about one step closer to an all out ban and doing away with the 2nd amendment.

beers
© 2024 ALDEER.COM