Aldeer.com

Weatherby SA08 20ga

Posted By: GomerPyle

Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/12/19 09:17 PM

Thoughts on these shotguns? I dont know anything about weatherby shotguns, much less this one in particular...
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/12/19 10:40 PM

It's a Turkish made gun ,right? Not much different from a lot of Turkish made guns except Weatherby may be better to warranty it. Good reviews when they came out.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/12/19 10:52 PM

Yup, RH you're spot on...it's a Turkish shotgun and only thing weatherby is the name stamped on the receiver. Having said that they are well built and function well. I just didn't like having to swap out gas valves depending on whether you're shooting light or heavy loads to make the gun function properly.

[Linked Image]

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/12/19 11:14 PM

Huh....that's interesting. I'm mainly wanting to find a 20ga semiauto for a turkey gun since factory tss loads are becoming more of a thing, but it would also be my dove/rabbit gun on occasion, and that seems like something begging to be lost when time comes to swap it out....I'd found a used one for sale but may hold out for a Franchi
Posted By: sawdust

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/12/19 11:34 PM

Look at a Stoeger m3020. I bought one last year and so far have really liked it.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/13/19 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by sawdust
Look at a Stoeger m3020. I bought one last year and so far have really liked it.

I think that gun and the Franchi and a Benelli are the closest to each other,in that order.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/13/19 02:06 AM

The Stoeger is also a Turkish made gun. You can get practically any level of quality from Turkish manufacturers. On the early models, Beretta made the barrels for the Stoeger and shipped them to Turkey for assembly. Later, Beretta bought the facility.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/13/19 03:09 AM

I wanted one of those SA08’s for a long time. If memory serves, it’s the same gun as the 20-ga. Mossberg. Or it was.
I got a 20-ga. 870 and the urge left.

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/13/19 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by AC870
I wanted one of those SA08’s for a long time. If memory serves, it’s the same gun as the 20-ga. Mossberg.

You are correct. When I was looking at buying one, I think the only real difference is the Weatherby has a slightly better finish on metal and wood … and was more expensive
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/13/19 04:23 AM

Are the little Tri-Star guns still being made?

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/13/19 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by turkey247

They are.

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/13/19 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by gundoc

They are.

Are they decent guns? Looks like they have a couple in the 400-500 range new.
Posted By: buckhunter2

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/13/19 05:22 AM

Unboxed one just yesterday. 24” compact, $378 out the door

I had a black one that was a fine gun. Sold it to a buddy cause the wife wanted a pretty camo gun grin I just said ok, while thinking of thunder chickens and TSS!

https://www.patsarchery.com/products/shotguns-tristar-20202-713780202020-348
[Linked Image]

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/13/19 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

They are.

Are they decent guns? Looks like they have a couple in the 400-500 range new.

Yeah , they are basically the same gun as the Weatherby and Mossberg. Trigger guard has a more traditional shape than the Mossy
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/13/19 11:47 PM

If you’re looking for suggestions the little Yildiz youth model 20 is a sweet shooter and the two we have have functioned flawlessly.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/15/19 09:32 PM

Have a youth 20 GA sa-08 that I dipped. Good little gun. Its a light weight 20 GA and had some kick for a youth, but I like shooting it.

For a high volume shooter, I can't comment.

For the money, good little shotgun.
Posted By: headshot1

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/16/19 12:40 AM

Bought my 8yr old a Max-5 youth s-08 last Christmas. I did have to send the gun back due to the recoil tube having a dent in it causing it to hang up. Customer service was excellent and had it back in a week. He loves the gun and shoots it really well. Seems to be a really well built gun but it does kick due to only weighing 5lbs. He’s killed several ducks and quite a few doves with it. He can wear some skeet out with it. Paid around $475 for it from buds gun shop.
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/16/19 01:42 AM

1187 Compact models with the stock shims can be found for not much more.
Posted By: bill

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/16/19 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by ALMODUX

Yeah, but it's a Remington. I'd take the Turkish made Weatherby all day over the Remington.

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/16/19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by bill

Yeah, but it's a Remington. I'd take the Turkish made Weatherby all day over the Remington.

Fortunately Weather, Mossberg and Tri Star all support their guns with parts if needed.

If they ever stop importing them though, it's a whole different ball game. KBI (Charles Daly) use to import Turkish made semi autos...Good luck finding parts for them now.

Unless Remington disappears you won't have that problem. Not to mention, if properly maintained with just a little cleaning from time to time, the 11-87 will perform just as well as the others, and retain more resale value.
Posted By: bill

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/16/19 02:37 PM

Fortunately Weather, Mossberg and Tri Star all support their guns with parts if needed.

If they ever stop importing them though, it's a whole different ball game. KBI (Charles Daly) use to import Turkish made semi autos...Good luck finding parts for them now.

Unless Remington disappears you won't have that problem. Not to mention, if properly maintained with just a little cleaning from time to time, the 11-87 will perform just as well as the others, and retain more resale value.

With the experience I've had with Remington, parts will likely be needed. I've had two brand new 870's that were pure garbage. You'd definitely have more experience than me on the subject but I won't buy any Remington, post Freedom Group.
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/16/19 04:23 PM

I’ve had zero issues with 20ga Remington stuff, so far. 12ga/rifle stuff, meh. For a turkey gun, there’s more parts, accessories, and options for the Remington, and more custom work available. Not knocking the Turkish Mossies and Weatherbies, because I’d try one with no reservations. Just is what it is on what you need. I’m more interested in the Turkish 28ga for rabbits. wink

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/16/19 06:40 PM

With the experience I've had with Remington, parts will likely be needed. I've had two brand new 870's that were pure garbage. You'd definitely have more experience than me on the subject but I won't buy any Remington, post Freedom Group.

Oh, I'm not saying they don't turn out some that aren't right.

I had a brand new 20 870 in this past weekend to drill and tap.

Owner had not even fired a round through it.

When I function checked it all was good until you pulled the trigger and held it while working the action then releasing the trigger. It wouldn't reset. The bolt lock arm was a few thou too long. It was an easy fix, but something that should have been caught before it left Remington. (Quickshot, if you are reading this, it wasn't yours grin ).

Having said that, I have had to work on quite a few Turkish shotguns for broke or incorrectly working parts. One was a Mossberg, others were Tri-Star, Charles Daly, etc.
Posted By: Jstocks

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/25/19 09:19 PM

If tss is going to be your thing, I'd find a quality pump gun and not a cheaper semi auto.
If you go the semi auto route, hold out for a Franchi or buy the Stoeger. I have not seen or heard of any issues with the two of those except that they don't feed the longer shells (roll crimped MOA, the XXXL, etc...)

I have heard of issues and witnessed issues with:

SA -08
Tri Star
Browning Silver
And a Remington 11-87 youth

Most of the time the "you get what you pay for" saying holds true from my experience. The last thing I want is a turkey gun I have to baby, or that I'm worried about not operating correctly when I get to patterning before the season, or worse yet not functioning properly when I'm hunting (much less on a trip half way across the country)

Advice:

Buy a tried and true make/model: the best at which fits in your predetermined budget.

Semi auto:
Benelli sets the bar IMO

Pump:
Lots to choose from here
870's come reasonable and tons of upgrades to be had.
Winchesters, Browning, Ithaca well made but heavy.
Mossberg has some cheaper no frills thumpers that kill on both ends.
Posted By: Luvbowhuntn

Re: Weatherby SA08 20ga - 01/25/19 09:48 PM

I bought one for my oldest daughter when she was small. I never had any issues with it. Sold it later on to 257 I believe to make a lightweight turkey rig out of. They’re a decent starter gun. Not sure about longevity as I didn’t have that one real long
© 2024 ALDEER.COM