Aldeer.com

Krylon rattle can

Posted By: grundan

Krylon rattle can - 12/15/18 02:00 AM

Anyone ever rattle can painted a rifle or shotgun? I was sitting in the rain Monday and thought about painting this 700 I’ve got. It’s just a plain old 700 with plastic stock. No intentions of ever selling so not concerned about value going down.
Good shooting rifle but want to paint or dip for weather proofing purposes.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Krylon rattle can - 12/15/18 02:43 AM

I have painted several and it does fine, but it will chip with use. Cerakote offers excellent protection, and it isn’t coming off.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Krylon rattle can - 12/15/18 02:54 AM

Scuff the stock with something aggressive like 100grit, 2 coats of adhesion promoter, 3 coats of base and 3 coats of matte clear.

Re: Krylon rattle can - 12/15/18 04:46 AM

Thanks
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Krylon rattle can - 12/15/18 05:00 AM

Just use some denatured alcohol and clean the oil off. No need to sand on it, it'll stick, ya may wanta remove the paint later. I've painted several using bow paint, just cleaned with alcohol .
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Krylon rattle can - 12/17/18 03:50 PM

Powder Solvent will take Krylon off. You need to top coat it with a clear coat meant for use on firearms. I have used Aluma-hyde Matte clear from Brownells with good results just thought it would never dry. If you use it you need to setup somewhere you can leave it hanging up to a week

Re: Krylon rattle can - 12/17/18 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
Powder Solvent will take Krylon off. You need to top coat it with a clear coat meant for use on firearms. I have used Aluma-hyde Matte clear from Brownells with good results just thought it would never dry. If you use it you need to setup somewhere you can leave it hanging up to a week

The chandelier in the "dining room" that I don't use is what I use to have stocks on to dry grin
Posted By: blade

Re: Krylon rattle can - 12/17/18 05:30 PM

I've painted with the Brownells Aluma hyde (o.d. green) turned out really good and tough. Just follow the instructions and as said above have that Chandelier ready to hang it for a few days.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Krylon rattle can - 12/17/18 05:35 PM

Do the lights on chandelier have to be on or off? Bulb Wattage?
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Krylon rattle can - 12/17/18 06:29 PM

removed stock, left the bolt in it, bu taped the ejection port (or whatever you call it), taped off each end of the scope and put a skinny piece of tape over the numbers on the scope eye peice so they were still legible, stuck a foam earplug in the end of the barrel. After cleaning everything well with alcohol, I did a few light coats of primer, letting it dry thoroughly in between each. Then did a couple of base coats of tan (stock and barrel/action/scope are still separate at this point). Once the tan was thoroughly dry, put the stock back on, did the stripes in green. Let dry again, then for the brown splotches, I took a foam paint brush and picked a few chunks out to break up the shape of the sponge, and blotted the brown on randomly. Once the entire thing was dry, I did 3 or 4 light coats of matte clear coat. It has held up much better than I expected.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Krylon rattle can - 12/17/18 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by odocoileus

rofl

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

[Linked Image]

That looks great Gomer thumbup

Re: Krylon rattle can - 12/17/18 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by odocoileus

It got zip tied to the ceiling so it likely won't be putting out the heat of a traditional paint oven but it's a great back up option.
Posted By: buckhunter2

Re: Krylon rattle can - 12/18/18 03:48 AM

Yep- And I don’t even use a clear coat anymore. If it gets scratched it’s easy to touch up without the clear coat. Even a matte clear coat will cause it to “shine” more than without the clear coat. And it’s a pain to strip the clearcoat if you decide you don’t like the paint job. And when the clearcoat scratches, and it will, it looks like crap in my opinion. I’ve got several seasons of hard hunting on a turkey gun and a rifle without a clearcoat that haven’t required any touch ups.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Krylon rattle can - 12/19/18 02:35 AM

Looks good, thanks for the input. Gonna give the ol rifle a makeover. Gonna get a 1.5 or 2 x scope on her and maybe a little trigger work.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM