Aldeer.com

Slug Question

Posted By: Dazzler

Slug Question - 12/14/18 04:38 PM

Trying to find the best combo for my shotgun.

Winchester 120 with 28” smoothbore using a Carlson’s fully rifled choke.
Currently have a inexpensive tasco scope using a b square saddle mount.

Question is:
1. What is a reasonable effective range and grouping to expect from this setup? I’m currently on paper at 50 yards with win super x rifled slugs (4 inch group). The lightfield exps have been a little inconsistent, but I felt like things were getting dialed in at 50, but had to cut range time short before I felt comfortable with the accuracy.

2. Am I wrong thinking these expensive sabots are effective in a smoothbore with rifled choke? They were my go to when I had a rifled barrel.
Posted By: Razorsharp123

Re: Slug Question - 12/14/18 05:33 PM

The answer to question #2 IMO only is yes.

Re: Slug Question - 12/14/18 07:18 PM

Any suggestions on choke I should try? I’ve got an improved cylinder. Read somewhere that people have good results with rifled slugs and IC. Gonna shoot it some more with rifled choke and try it with the IC for comparison.

Re: Slug Question - 12/15/18 08:59 PM

So turns out the best combo for my shotty was an improved cylinder choke with Herters (1400 FPS) rifled slugs.

Tried some 3” Winchester super x (1700 FPS) and couldn’t get it on paper. Loaded the herters and was punching 2.5” groups at 50 yards.

Pleased with the results especially since 10 herters are less than $5 at cabelas.
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Slug Question - 12/15/18 09:04 PM

Try remington& Hornady too,slugs are kinda loopy accuracy wise.

Re: Slug Question - 12/15/18 10:02 PM

Tried the Remington sluggers with not much luck. I’ll check the hornadys if I can find some. I’ve noticed the slug selection in stores is somewhat limited.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM