Aldeer.com

Superformance

Posted By: AC870

Superformance - 12/09/18 03:29 PM

Anybody using Hornady Superformance 165 grains in .308?
I shot these years ago in 30-06 and just been wondering how they d perform in a .308.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Superformance - 12/09/18 03:40 PM

From what I've seen I haven't been very impressed.
Odocoileus has a Browning single shot in 280 and it shoots them like a buck shot pattern.
Posted By: donia

Re: Superformance - 12/09/18 04:16 PM

I never got a good grouping with them in my a-bolt. seemed a lil too hot, as i’d get bolt jam/lock every now and then.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Superformance - 12/09/18 04:21 PM

Shoot fine in my A-Bolt, but I prefer the regular old customs.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Superformance - 12/09/18 04:38 PM

I'm not impressed with them. I've personally only seen one gun that would shoot them well. Its all it would shoot well though and it stacked them. Everything else I've had looked more like a buck shot group than a rifle.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Superformance - 12/09/18 04:41 PM

I've shot a bunch of Superfromance 150 gr. They'll punch the same hole out of my .308 Finnlight. Killed a bunch of deer with them too, either bang flop or run 40 yards tops, then flop. No complaints here.

Re: Superformance - 12/09/18 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
I've shot a bunch of Superfromance 150 gr. They'll punch the same hole out of my .308 Finnlight. Killed a bunch of deer with them too, either bang flop or run 40 yards tops, then flop. No complaints here.

I've talked to other that say the same thing.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Superformance - 12/09/18 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by gundoc
Originally Posted by 2Dogs

I've talked to other that say the same thing.

I always favored 150s out of a '06 or .308 for our little Bama deer.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Superformance - 12/09/18 05:55 PM

If it’s the SST bullet I’d shoot anything else. The SST is the worst bullet I’ve ever used

Re: Superformance - 12/09/18 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bowhunter84
If it’s the SST bullet I’d shoot anything else. The SST is the worst bullet I’ve ever used

I've often thought the SST was the problem with the Superformance ammo more so than the powder/charge weight.

It would be interesting to see that ammo line loaded with the GMX

And after posting that, I realized they load the Superformance line with a lot of different bullets...I've never seen it loaded with anything but SSTs. Might have to try some others if I can find it
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Superformance - 12/09/18 07:36 PM

My son shoots the supers in 150gr sst in his steyr .308 and I shoot them in my Daniel Defence DDM5V1 AR10. We have had excellent results with both accuracy and performance. He shot a huge 245lb buck with it last week in North East Texas and it destroyed both lungs and left an exit wound the size of a racket ball. I am truly shocked to hear some say that the SST is a bad choice. For Alabama whitetails, I think it is a great choice. We have it in loads from .243 to .300 win mag. Can someone tell me how it didn’t perform. If it was a good shot, I can’t imagine it not performing?!?!
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Superformance - 12/09/18 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by gundoc
Originally Posted by Bowhunter84

I've often thought the SST was the problem with the Superformance ammo more so than the powder/charge weight.

It would be interesting to see that ammo line loaded with the GMX

And after posting that, I realized they load the Superformance line with a lot of different bullets...I've never seen it loaded with anything but SSTs. Might have to try some others if I can find it

soft points work well . my 7mags and 35 whelens like them a lot .
Posted By: James

Re: Superformance - 12/09/18 08:02 PM

I call it supersuckformance lol. Seriously it use to shoot great out of my sako finnlight, but when they went to that fancy box and name, my gun no longer liked it. But i don't mind, cause whatever powder they were using would foul my gun up quick anyhow...
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Superformance - 12/09/18 08:11 PM

I shot the regular sst loads in my 270win. It was about the best bullet that I've used in that rifle. I always got exits and a great blood trail. Never shot the superformance, though.
Posted By: 1shot

Re: Superformance - 12/09/18 08:29 PM

My 35Whelen will flat out stack the 200gr SP SuperFormance. Everything else I’ve shot them out of they were all over the place.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Superformance - 12/10/18 12:36 AM

One buddy swears by them out of his Tikka 300wm. I've never liked the groups. Can't speak to bullet performance
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Superformance - 12/10/18 12:38 AM

Yes, I use the 265gr SuperP in my 444.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Superformance - 12/10/18 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Big Bore
My son shoots the supers in 150gr sst in his steyr .308 and I shoot them in my Daniel Defence DDM5V1 AR10. We have had excellent results with both accuracy and performance. He shot a huge 245lb buck with it last week in North East Texas and it destroyed both lungs and left an exit wound the size of a racket ball. I am truly shocked to hear some say that the SST is a bad choice. For Alabama whitetails, I think it is a great choice. We have it in loads from .243 to .300 win mag. Can someone tell me how it didn’t perform. If it was a good shot, I can’t imagine it not performing?!?!

Something like that works great on a broadside lung shot. Might fragment on bone however too much to continue penetration. I want a bullet that will travel stem to stern after busting bone if I need it to.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Superformance - 12/10/18 01:48 AM

Don’t know if you can judge a bullet by a double lung shot, a 22LR will go through both lungs.
Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: Superformance - 12/10/18 02:31 AM

The powder is good, I make some great superformance TTSX! The ammo is more miss than hit
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Superformance - 12/10/18 11:16 AM

I've helped folks set up rifles in 5-6 calibers with the Superformance ammo. Never had it shoot more than 1.25 MOA, and usually a lot better. Best I have seen with it was a .25-06 that shot .6 MOA with a hot barrel.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Superformance - 12/10/18 03:45 PM

Y'all can't shoot those SST's the Mexican Triangle, (which is like the Bermuda one) that sits over Alabama will cause your bullet to blow up in midair ricochet off the button buck's head come straight back at you and YOU WILL shoot yer dern eye out. Not to mention lose the deer with no blood trail.

I'm just repeating what I read on another internet board. I don't have any first hand knowledge of this. Thanks.

Just a piece of advise... most of calibers y'all are shooting can't turn one into jello with an exit wound if you are going to shoot it in the arse. That's called a bad shot angle. Y'all need to start shooting bigger guns if that's the reasoning behind needing a TTSX XYZ Titanum Bullet coating in lithium ion bacon grease. If you are planning on taking arse shots 7 Mag is just a starting point. Ain't no dam way I'd shoot one in the arse with something like a .243 or .25-06 probably not even with a .308. That's still questionable in my opinion.

Re: Superformance - 12/10/18 07:01 PM

95gr fusion shot just under 2700fps in one of my rifles. An 80gr ttsx @3450 with superformance performs better with double lung shots. I’ll pass on the magnums, SST’s, and arse shots
Posted By: BigUncleLeroy

Re: Superformance - 12/11/18 05:08 PM

They are money out my Xbolt .308 but scatter like buck shot out of my Ruger M77 .280
Posted By: quickshot

Re: Superformance - 12/12/18 01:00 AM

Blood trail what caliber you using to get that speed from 80gr?

Re: Superformance - 12/13/18 01:29 AM

Factory ammo is more than adequate. Handloading enables the 243 to come alive. 108gr eldx @3100fps will make a 6.5 creedmore look silly at long range.
Posted By: Jotjackson

Re: Superformance - 12/24/18 06:50 AM

Rifle barrels are like women, meaning each one has it's own personality. By hand loading your own cartridges you will find what combination of powder/bullet the barrel will perform to it's highest level of accuracy with.

Factory ammo will, most of the time be more accurate than most of us can shoot but hand loading will always enhance the end results, which is what we are always looking for.

Jerry
Posted By: modoc_333

Re: Superformance - 12/30/18 01:46 AM

I shoot it with the SST bullet in my 270. Best round I have ever used in anything. Accurate as I could possibly want and absolutely devistating on whitetails. Maybe I just got lucky with the gun shooting it straight.... But once it gets to the deer, I have good shot placement. Haha. As mentioned before, don't try to shoot them in the butt. I have shot several deer with it and they all have dropped quickly (or instantly), with exit wounds and great blood trails but the important parts on the inside absolutely destroyed. What more could I want?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM