Most Overrated Caliber

Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 05:16 PM

It's a close race between the .270 Win and the 6.5 Creed
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 05:23 PM

For hunting in the SE United States..................300WM

*ducking for cover*

only because it is overkill for this area and a vast majority of people shooting it have no business doing so, because they're not capable of shooting it accurately thanks to the severe flinch they've undoubtedly developed from shooting it.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 05:24 PM

For whitetail deer hunting?

Anything with the word "magnum" at the end.

But...dead is dead.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 05:25 PM

It is surprising what is needed for killing deer and hogs these days

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 05:26 PM

Oh, and having a 4x scope, forget about it!
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 05:29 PM

6.5 Creed. The 270 is in no way, shape, or form overrated. Jack O'Connor is rolling in his grave.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 05:33 PM

Folks just like the name Creedmoor and saying it. If it was the 6.5 Jones no one would give it any attention.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by 3toe
Folks just like the name Creedmoor and saying it. If it was the 6.5 Jones no one would give it any attention.

I don't know. They make a 6mm Creedmoor, and you never hear anything about it.

6.5 Creed seems to get a lot of positive play with the long range guys...even to the point that I believe it's being discussed as a replacement for the .308 for military use.

I have one, but I think nothing more of it than I do about half a dozen other calibers I own.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 06:01 PM

270 Winchester is gay.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 06:02 PM

6.5creedless
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 06:04 PM

6.5 Creedmost
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 06:15 PM

I dont think that the .270 is overrated at all. It is an absolute deer killer both close and far.
Posted By: BPI

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 06:19 PM

The 270 is widely popular and I can see why someone would think it's overrated. But it's still a great round.

An overrated round to me would be the .243 on the weak end and the 300 Winchester mag on the strong end. And of course the 30 30 with powermax ammo.
Posted By: deerfeeder89

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

*ducking for cover*

only because it is overkill for this area and a vast majority of people shooting it have no business doing so, because they're not capable of shooting it accurately thanks to the severe flinch they've undoubtedly developed from shooting it.

This was funny because I know the type your talking about and those same folks are the ones that think they need the 300wm,7 mag, etc to shoot the super long 200yd with. But to each his own I'll hunt with my guns and they can hunt with theirs.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 06:22 PM

In today's market I'm going with 6.5 Creed. Great Round. It has been the hottest thing on the block for several years. I loved 6.5x55 and .260 25 years ago. The magnitude of this resurgence in the form of a re-badged cartridge...... I haven't figured out.... it is just a .260.

It is a great round but in terms of being overrated I would say it takes the top spot. It won't do ANYTHING something that was already on the market would not do or do better for that matter.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
270 Winchester is gay.

Yes
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by deerfeeder89
Originally Posted by GomerPyle

*ducking for cover*

This was funny because I know the type your talking about and those same folks are the ones that think they need the 300wm,7 mag, etc to shoot the super long 200yd with. But to each his own I'll hunt with my guns and they can hunt with theirs.

I think the argument can be made that is it no necessary to shoot a deer with a magnum such as a .300 or 7 Mag in order to make a clean kill. I also believe there are many hunters that get one yet they can't handle the recoil and therefore are not good shots with their rifle. They develop a flinch as a result and shoot these rounds poorly.

However - in terms of the cartridges being Overrated.... They are definitively not. People use them because they believe they will anchor a deer where it is shot. In that regard these do the job very well.

I am not a .300WM guy but I have shot several deer with one. There is nothing overrated about an animal being DRT. Shoot one through the front shoulders and you WILL NOT have to worry about finding it.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

Aint it tho!
I'm almost afraid to take the ol 223 on a squirrel hunt these days. smile
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Out back

Aint it tho!
I'm almost afraid to take the ol 223 on a squirrel hunt these days. smile

I tote a 45-70 for rabbits 🐰 jk jk
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 07:26 PM

270 Winchester is gay.

rolleyesI know of a couple dump-truck loads of deer that wouldn't agree with that...
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 07:30 PM

.270 WSM is the correct answer.
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bull64
270 Winchester is gay.

rolleyesI know of a couple dump-truck loads of deer that wouldn't agree with that...

Me too.

Always gotta be a few that try to ice skate uphill
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 08:15 PM

really !!!!!! most of them . but you'll find any body that loves "choice" as much as me . there are so many that there is choice for each critter and how you hunt it .
Posted By: Stob

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 08:43 PM

270 Winchester is gay.

10-4
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 09:35 PM

I don’t think the 6.5 creed is overrated I just hate that douchebags on the internet have ruined it. It’s a great cartridge (probably my favorite) but there are other cartridges that will do the same thing.
Posted By: BPI

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 10:28 PM

270 Winchester is gay.

Jack O'Conner would disagree.
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 11:16 PM

.223 and AR tactical bs.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/07/18 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by dave260rem!
.223 and AR tactical bs.

I think "tactical" is definitely the most overused word in the guns & ammo world today.
But I wouldn't say that the 223 is overrated, it's actually a very impressive little spitfire.
I couldn't care less about an AR anything, and I don't even own one, but a 223 of some variation will always be in my bag of tricks.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 12:03 AM

It’s true. .270 Win is ghey.
I sold mine after I had a Core Lokt bounce off a 9-point’s neck.
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by AC870

Never had this happen back when I used a 270 but almost everything I shot with it ran forever and the entry and exit hole looked like I had shot it with an archery practice point which meant they didn't bleed very much.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by fladeerhntr

Never had this happen back when I used a 270 but almost everything I shot with it ran forever and the entry and exit hole looked like I had shot it with an archery practice point which meant they didn't bleed very much.

Must be some tough ass deer where you hunt. The 20 or so deer ive shot with a 270 have been dead where they stood
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 12:59 AM

Ford
Posted By: low wall

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 02:10 AM

Woo Hoo! I hadn't read this thread when I put down the .270 as the most UNDERATED.. Good to be a contrarian. My entry for overated would be the 7mm Rem Mag. In the mid to late '70s, it seemed like everybody who was shooting power lines or pastures had to have one, generally with a Bushnell or Weaver scope screwed to a '70s era Remington that was likely doing well to shoot 2 MOA, and hit within an inch of a .270 at 300. But they were shooting LONG RANGE, dontcha know. Good times.
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 02:21 AM

Most overrated caliber to me is a 6.5 greedmore.
Posted By: MallardMan84

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 02:24 AM

Lol I have missed few also, but when I did my part it worked 100% of the time. The only 2 rifles I had from age 12 to 25 were a BAR and a BDL both in 270. I killed many deer between the 2 over that span. In that time I think I shot every bullet on the market. Core Locts and Federal B-Tip were the go to and shot well in both rifles. Nowadays about all I reload are Accubond and TSX. Both of those are semi retired now and a rely on a 6.5.............SE to put meat on the table. I like the low recoil, and it just puts them down.

To each his own, I wouldnt hesitate for a second to carry either of those gay .270 into Elk country.
The most important factor in killing power is shot placement using the appropriate type bullet.

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 02:32 AM

Oh and the most overrated, anything Creedmoor, Magnum, or Weatherby proprietary

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 02:44 AM

It didn’t bounce off but it blew up. Base of neck. Went in about an inch. Blew a hole big as your hand. I dunno if it hit a twig or what. It was good I got down and went to it immediately. It got up. I shot it again and had to stab it with a knife. I was running late and only had the 4 bullets in the gun. I’d shot a doe twice before shooting the buck twice.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by low wall
Woo Hoo! I hadn't read this thread when I put down the .270 as the most UNDERATED.. Good to be a contrarian. My entry for overated would be the 7mm Rem Mag. In the mid to late '70s, it seemed like everybody who was shooting power lines or pastures had to have one, generally with a Bushnell or Weaver scope screwed to a '70s era Remington that was likely doing well to shoot 2 MOA, and hit within an inch of a .270 at 300. But they were shooting LONG RANGE, dontcha know. Good times.

I agree. 7 Mag.
Posted By: 1shot

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 02:49 AM

I lined 2 does up one time to see what the 130gr accubond were all about. #1 doe 130lbs through both shoulders #2 doe 100lbs double lungs and #3 doe 100lbs that I didn’t realize was standing behind #2 neck hit and bullet under skin opposite side. This was at about 75yards all three were DRT and oh by the way this was a .270win I don’t think it’s overrated.

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 03:07 AM

It didn’t bounce off but it blew up. Base of neck. Went in about an inch. Blew a hole big as your hand. I dunno if it hit a twig or what. It was good I got down and went to it immediately. It got up. I shot it again and had to stab it with a knife. I was running late and only had the 4 bullets in the gun. I’d shot a doe twice before shooting the buck twice.

That's tough luck, it would make my think twice also. I shot a buck a couple years ago in about the same spot with a .308, dont remember the bullet, it didnt pass through but he dropped.
Posted By: Powpow65

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 03:09 AM

Any caliber in the hand of a bad shot or inexperienced Hunter is overrated. There are some bad reviews of every caliber, but I bet 90% of that is on the shooter for either making a bad shot or trying to go beyond what the caliber was designed to do, or possibly they are using the wrong bullet. But I'll say 30/30.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 03:17 AM

Pick the cartridge/gun for your situation. I never hunted with the STW in a hardwood drain and I never hunted a large cutover with a 30-30.

I will nominate the 6.5 Creedmoor since the hoopla I've heard and then I checked out the ballistics. It has been a head scratcher hearing that it was similar to a 300 WM in performance. I've also heard it will run at 3200 fps.

No doubt it performs and performs very well on paper and deer, it's just not as magical as some claim.
Posted By: keith5579

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller

.... I haven't figured out.... it is just a .260.

The Creedmoor is an improvement over the .260 when seating the high BC bullets out long and not having OAL issues in magazines--especially when chasing the lands. Better velocity with the .260 but better factory ammunition options with the CM.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 03:30 AM

I think it's kinda funny the 6.5Creedmoor disapproval.
You've got an affordable accurate light recoiling cartridge with solid ballistics with tons of rifle options.
Hell, even Remington is chambering rifles in 6.5Creedmoor, to me that symbolizes they're giving up on the 260.

It would be interesting to compile date from the big hunting rifle manufactures and look at 6.5Creedmoor vs all other 308 based cartridges.
The sales numbers would be absolutely staggering I believe. I would guess it is curb stomping 260Rem, beating up 7MM08, neck and neck with 243 and gaining ground on 308.

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 03:33 AM

I have a 260 and 6.5 creed. Both shoot lights out.

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 03:36 AM

Y’all make me laugh with the “Creedmore” stuff. It reminds me of anything named “Rigby”

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 05:14 AM

I dunno if anyone else has noticed but 7mm-08 ammo always costs a little more. That’s my experience anyway. If .243 and .308 is $21 a box, same brand of 7-08 is $28.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 05:27 AM

I dunno if anyone else has noticed but 7mm-08 ammo always costs a little more. That’s my experience anyway. If .243 and .308 is $21 a box, same brand of 7-08 is $28.

If you can find it 7mm08 stays sold out around tuscaloosa

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb

And all that doesn't make sense to me....
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 05:49 AM

30-06 is also for the gheys.

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 05:56 AM

lol
Posted By: boker

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 06:41 AM

To me the most overrated caliber is an individual thing . I have a buddy that praises the 270 but on the other hand dogs the 30/06 to the point it’s annoying. I believe various calibers are like different size wrenches, they all have their purpose. A 30/30 isn’t the best at shooting 500 yards and a 300 mag isn’t the best brush gun.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 11:51 AM

I can only assume it has to do with production volume. Even when you compare 6.5Creedmoor shooting an identical weight bullet and a powder charge that I assume is identical also.

I could be totally off but yes I've noticed it also.

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 12:00 PM

Y’all make me laugh with the “Creedmore” stuff. It reminds me of anything named “Rigby”

My dog is named Rigby.

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 01:16 PM

Shot a Rigby in .275 (7x57) weighed 7.25 lbs with scope and was delightful.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 01:16 PM

300 Blackout.

The 7.62x39's Weak, Younger Little Brother.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 01:54 PM

With the right load and accuracy even a .223 can get the job done. Ammo type is the key. Some are for yotes and some are for deer you got to know difference and be accurate shooting that ammo. Yes, some larger ones are more forgiving than smaller calibers, so why not lean to toward the one that gives you more of an edge to bring down your game in case your shot is a little off.
Posted By: 1shot

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 01:55 PM

I do think the 7mm Rem mag is overrated ballisticly if you look at case size and powder capacity. Not saying it’s a bad round I’ve got a few myself but there are others that will do what it does better or same with less fuss.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 01:55 PM

Thats why you find what your rifle likes and stock up some when its on sale. Once or twice a year you can find it on sale $12-16 a box online. I found 7mm08 federal premiums a while back on sale for $9, yes nine dollars a box with free shipping.

As for over rated it would be the 6.5 Creedmoor. With all the hype you would think it does things no other caliber has ever done. Its a fine caliber with good balance of recoil and ballistics but for hunting purposes take it, a 260 and a 7mm08 and ya wouldnt know the difference.

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 06:09 PM

Well,you need to be sharing these ammo sales grin

.17 hmr
I can get it done just as good with the .22 wmr.....

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 06:19 PM

My dog is named Rigby.

Sometimes imperialist supremacism is just wrong.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 07:21 PM

My dog is named Rigby.

Sometimes imperialist supremacism is just wrong.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

grin

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 07:24 PM

You coulda named him Dog, or spot. beers

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/08/18 11:03 PM

Ammo cost for us handloaders is components. I get everyone wants to save a dollar or three but if a rifles likes something buy (or load) a case.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/09/18 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
I have a 260 and 6.5 creed. Both shoot lights out.

X12
Posted By: inatree

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/11/18 10:55 PM

I have to say .243 in my opinion. Reason I say that is the ballistics between it and .308 aren't that much.
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/12/18 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie
really !!!!!! most of them . but you'll find any body that loves "choice" as much as me . there are so many that there is choice for each critter and how you hunt it .

x2
That's how I end up with most of my guns. I dream of the day I'll get to hunt some certain critter in some certain setting and get a gun for that specific purpose. Then I use it to go deer hunting in the same place I've hunted for years.

It's nice to dream.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/13/18 10:28 PM

Not that I have a much skin in the fight, but someone saying a certain caliber is gay does not sit well with me. Reminds me of the 9mm vs .45 debates everyone loves to have...but here's my take on it:

I would imagine if you were to ask somebody that has been in an actual combat situation (probably lots of folks on here, in fact: veterans, police officers, etc...or other people that have worked closely with people's brains, eyeballs and vital organs going splat), I doubt they would agree with you when you tell them that certain high powered projectiles are "gay" compared to others.

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/14/18 12:28 AM

I think only closet homos (homophobics) use the word “gay”? There was a study somewhere on the topic a few years back.

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/14/18 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by ozarktroutbum
Not that I have a much skin in the fight, but someone saying a certain caliber is gay does not sit well with me. Reminds me of the 9mm vs .45 debates everyone loves to have...but here's my take on it:

I would imagine if you were to ask somebody that has been in an actual combat situation (probably lots of folks on here, in fact: veterans, police officers, etc...or other people that have worked closely with people's brains, eyeballs and vital organs going splat), I doubt they would agree with you when you tell them that certain high powered projectiles are "gay" compared to others.

Its an inside joke. Apparently, you're not inside so get over it.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/14/18 02:13 AM

Oh Hell........

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/14/18 02:13 AM

Its an inside joke. Apparently, you're not inside so get over it.
I’ll try to come to terms that I haven’t been initiated into the Aldeer elitist society of secret circles. I guess I need to devote more time to analyzing members posts and conversations on a regular basis so I don’t look so socially inept. I will try to get over the fact that I have not been lucky enough to gain access into the “inside” level of aldeer, but I’m not making any promise

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/14/18 02:21 AM

I mean, surely if there was an inside section of aldeer it would have been posted by skinny...like a sticky or something? I understand if you have one of the aldeer paying accounts but for those of us with the free access, we just aren’t always up to speed on the latest

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/14/18 02:22 AM

If you're not first you're last.

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/14/18 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by ozarktroutbum
I mean, surely if there was an inside section of aldeer it would have been posted by skinny...like a sticky or something? I understand if you have one of the aldeer paying accounts but for those of us with the free access, we just aren’t always up to speed on the latest

You should pony up the 💰 for Skinny so you will understand the secret society stuff. Its like the illuminati, only better. laugh
Posted By: Morris

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/14/18 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
If you're not first you're last.

lol
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/17/18 01:53 PM

I like my 6.5 creedmoor i grew up shootin 30-06 in a BAR...an i thought that was the greatest most bestest gun they was an i woulda bare knucle boxed anybody that said otherwise...but i was wrong......i got a $350 6.5 that shoots unbelievably well...with cheap bullets...its a swavahjayy...an does real good..nothin special for me....i do want a 7mm-08 blr tho.
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Most Overrated Caliber - 11/17/18 03:08 PM

6.5 Creed is a good round but good lord, it's got to be the most over hyped, over marketed round on the planet. Sure, it's "efficient" and can handle the long bullets in a short action but it ain't faster than a pile of other 6.5s already out there.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM