Aldeer.com

Rem. 700 ID

Posted By: Hornhntr

Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 12:34 AM

Looking at a possible trade on this rifle but I havn’t ever seen one like this. Barrel code says it a 1979 model (probably right because the bolt locks with safety engaged) I am thinking a “classic’’ model maybe? I was thinking all BDLs in that year came gloss. Also never seen the grip and forend cap that wasn’t black. This appears to me buried wood. Also thinking it could be custom because there is a plate inset with initials. Trying to establish a value. Thanks in advance
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 01:33 AM

Caliber?

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 01:38 AM

8mm Rem Mag. In more research it looks like the classics didn’t start until 82. And the 8mm version was in 98.
Found a pic of a 79 safari grade but this one has no sights. It’s got me baffled. I am only considering it because I’ve always wanted one in 8mm. And it’s a pretty gun.

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 01:40 AM

I’ve got the ser. Number but can’t do much with that. Got to be a 77-84. After that the 8mm was custom shop only
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 03:22 AM

If that stock is factory, it's the prettiest factory stock I have ever seen on a Remington, and that recoil pad looks like it growed there!

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 04:02 AM

In more research I’m thinking it is a grade 1 custom shop gun. It was this guys fathers gun and he bought it new and has his initials on. Says never fired. I’ve got to travel 2 hours to look at it but I think it’s worth a look if I can get him down in the price. He is wanting 1200 and I think that’s high. (Maybe I’m wrong)
The 8mm seem to be really hard to find.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 04:41 AM

That’s a beautiful firearm. Good luck.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 04:48 AM

That's one sexy rifle.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 04:49 AM

I've been looking through the blue book and the closest I can find to it is a Safari Grade, that's shown as a special order custom shop only rifle. But like yo said, it has no sights. The stock matches though. The 8mm wasn't offered in this grade until 1986 but the way it reads, it was produced until the line was discontinued in 2000.

He may not be that far off on value, but like you, I feel like $1200 is high. I'm thinking $800-$900, specially with it being engraved with his fathers initials.

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by gundoc
I've been looking through the blue book and the closest I can find to it is a Safari Grade, that's shown as a special order custom shop only rifle. But like yo said, it has no sights. The stock matches though. The 8mm wasn't offered in this grade until 1986 but the way it reads, it was produced until the line was discontinued in 2000.

He may not be that far off on value, but like you, I feel like $1200 is high. I'm thinking $800-$900, specially with it being engraved with his fathers initials.

I did a “‘Sold items” search on gunbroker and a regular Bdl can be had for around $600-$900. Im not sure about the safari grade because they have 2 “dots” on the stock at the receiver instead of one like this one has.
You will probably know what the “dots” are really called but I don’t. I did see one 78 model custom shop that looked exactly like it except the wood wasn’t quite as good. If I can get him to bite on 800 I will drive and look at it. I need it like a hole in the head but for some reason 8 Rem mag has intrigued me.
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 11:18 AM

The dot you mention is a crossbolt on safari and magnum rifles. Sometimes, the bolt head is visible, sometimes it is covered with a plug as it is on this rifle.

Crossbolts are meant to restrict free movement of the action during recoil, and protect the stock. They are only necessary in really high recoil rifles, but they are often installed for looks on lighter recoiling rifles.
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 11:21 AM

Custom Shop gun, high grade wood, rare caliber - I think he's pretty reasonable at $1200 for what he has. If you can get it for less, good for you, but if it was mine, I wouldn't have started at $1200
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by UncleHuck

Custom Shop gun, high grade wood, rare caliber - I think he's pretty reasonable at $1200 for what he has. If you can get it for less, good for you, but if it was mine, I wouldn't have started at $1200

Very pretty wood but it's still just a Remington 700. The grade of wood does add some value. The 8mm Remington magnum was a flop as a cartridge, the answer to a question no one was asking, and doesn't really help the value because it is a rare chambering.

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by UncleHuck

Very pretty wood but it's still just a Remington 700. The grade of wood does add some value. The 8mm Remington magnum was a flop as a cartridge, the answer to a question no one was asking, and doesn't really help the value because it is a rare chambering.

I agree with you on the 8mm. Rare doesn’t mean valueable. It even subtracts from the value. Ammo is very hard to find and exspensive when you do find it. I just want an 8mm. Probably not this one because we can’t get together on a price,I would love to have it because I think is it a really pretty gun and you don’t see them everyday. But I can get a shooter grade BDL for half that price. Thanks for all y’alls input.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 04:14 PM

Just curious. What’s the attraction of 8mm.

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 04:40 PM

Grandaddy had one. I remember shooting it as a kid. So nostalgia I guess. And I also tend to like “flop’’ chamberings for some reason.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hornhntr
Grandaddy had one. I remember shooting it as a kid. So nostalgia I guess. And I also tend to like “flop’’ chamberings for some reason.

LOL Remington is your company. They've got this superb marketing ability to have a cartridge that should be good and just running it into the ground.
If the 260 was marketed correctly and given the correct barrel twists the 6.5Creedmoor wouldn't exist or be the #1 6.5MM in the US by a long shot in new production/ammo sales.

Re: Rem. 700 ID - 10/06/18 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by AU7MM08
Originally Posted by Hornhntr

LOL Remington is your company. They've got this superb marketing ability to have a cartridge that should be good and just running it into the ground.
If the 260 was marketed correctly and given the correct barrel twists the 6.5Creedmoor wouldn't exist or be the #1 6.5MM in the US by a long shot in new production/ammo sales.

You got that right! The 6.8 Spc comes to mind also. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread and just had to have one. I like the caliber and still have it but I never figured out why it didn’t gain traction
© 2024 ALDEER.COM