Aldeer.com

.224 Valkyrie

Posted By: BatesConst

.224 Valkyrie - 08/10/18 02:03 AM

I'm building a pretty nice Ar set up. This is my first build and I have someone, "somewhat" coaching me through it. I've decided on the .224 Valkyrie. I have a custom Rock River build in 5.56 and want something in different caliber. What is a good barrel suggestion, that's pretty accurate, without breaking the bank. I know that's a somewhat relative question. But, what should I expect to spend on a good barrel? Any suggestions? Can I get a sub moa barrel for $200 or am I looking at closer to $400? I already have way more in this thing that I thought I would. So far I have collected Aero- Precision striped lower, Strike industries charge handle with extended latch, Tool Craft nickel boron bcg, stainless firing pin and retain pin, POF USA roller cam pin, Seekins precision adj. gas block, Strike industries m spec lower parts, Velocity 3lb drop in trigger with anti rotation parts, Tactical ambidextrous pistol grip, Aero over-sized trigger guard, Daniel Defense collapsible stock, Aero- Precision ar15m4e1 upper with enhanced gen 2 15" quad rail in fde. I think all I have left is the barrel and matching bolt , the buffer tube and ?? am I missing something? Again, this is my first build and I'm not very well versed with "black guns". I'm more of a bolt action guy.
Posted By: Mdees

Re: .224 Valkyrie - 08/10/18 02:41 AM

I can’t speak to the .224 Valkyrie specifically, I gave that chambering a pass, but what I know about it is it is supposed to stay supersonic out to 1200-1300 yards. That makes it suitable for long-range target shooting. Given that, I wouldn’t tolerate any barrel I couldn’t coax 0.25moa out of. You don’t necessarily have to spend $4-600+ on that barrel, I’ve had some bargain barrels shoot very well once I found a load they liked. But you’ll be more likely to find success with at least a mid grade barrel manufacturer. Top manufacturers barrels tend to have much better resale value if you decide to go a different direction later.
Posted By: jrs89

Re: .224 Valkyrie - 08/10/18 02:44 AM

I've read up on the 224 and I like it. I have a complete lower I need to build an upper for. I'll prolly buy the PSA upper they run on sale. I think it'll be great round for my boys.
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: .224 Valkyrie - 08/10/18 03:01 AM

i'm going to pass on the .224 Valkyrie for now. Seems to be more than a few people that can't keep them from blowing primers out. May be ammo or chamber but they haven't determined that yet. The way they were talking it sounds like ammo. This was with factory ammo. Not a wide selection right now. .223 Wylde sounds interesting too.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: .224 Valkyrie - 08/10/18 03:26 PM

I used an 18" Criterion HBAR barrel in 223 Wylde for mine. I think the Valkyrie is cool, but just doesn't fit a need for me. If I want to reach on out there with a 22 I'll grab my 22-250.
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: .224 Valkyrie - 08/10/18 10:42 PM

Hmm I'd look at other long range options .260 6.5Creed 6.5PRC Why? .264's have better SD than .224's and more powder capacity a good idea.

Re: .224 Valkyrie - 08/11/18 12:19 AM

The main reason for the .224 is have a 5 year old and a 3 year old. I expect the recoil will be much less on the .224 versus the Grendel. I would like to stay with the AR 15 platform. I realize the heavier 6.5 is much more versatile, but I want to keep it recoil friendly for the youngsters. I don't have anywhere to stretch it out anyway. And at ranges under 600 there are better options, but hey, why not? I'd love to try to ring that gong at 1000 yards.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: .224 Valkyrie - 08/11/18 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by BatesConst
The main reason for the .224 is have a 5 year old and a 3 year old. I expect the recoil will be much less on the .224 versus the Grendel. I would like to stay with the AR 15 platform. I realize the heavier 6.5 is much more versatile, but I want to keep it recoil friendly for the youngsters. I don't have anywhere to stretch it out anyway. And at ranges under 600 there are better options, but hey, why not? I'd love to try to ring that gong at 1000 yards.

Muzzle brake and ear muffs will help a lot too.
Posted By: James

Re: .224 Valkyrie - 08/11/18 09:41 AM

Grendel is on the AR15 platform. You must've meant Creedmoor, or were you referring to the 224 be available in lighter loads than the Grendel

Re: .224 Valkyrie - 08/13/18 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by James

Grendel is on the AR15 platform. You must've meant Creedmoor, or were you referring to the 224 be available in lighter loads than the Grendel

I'm referring to the. 224 being lighter recoil than the Grendel. Both being in the ar platform. Dave 260 said to look at the 6.5 Creed. That's not part of the ar 15 platform as I understand. I definitely want to stay in the AR 15 platform. With they being said, I'm doing some research and it seems as if White Oak Armament makes some good barrels for under 4 bills. Kreiger, Novaeske(sp?), Lilja and the top tiers seem to run over $500. I hate to spend that on a barrel. I assume you get what you pay for. But surely I can get a good, accurate barrel for sub $400. I'll keep researching, I'd rather stretch the build out over time and get what I want, than settle and get it immediately. Besides, research is part of the fun of a rifle build... Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate the feedback. I'm definitely green when it comes to the AR's.

Re: .224 Valkyrie - 08/13/18 11:58 AM

If you are willing to stretch your build time out, get a suppressor. .30cal, magnum rated, around 14-16oz in weight, and you can use it in about a year. Mine drops the recoil from my 22” barrel 6.5G from close to my 25-06 down to about a .22mag.
Posted By: Haybale

Re: .224 Valkyrie - 08/14/18 05:06 AM

I’ve got 2 white oak barrels in .223 Wylde that will shoot lights out. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.

Re: .224 Valkyrie - 08/16/18 06:33 PM

OP,
If you are still interested in the .224 Valkyrie, there is a barrel group-buy going on over at MSR.hunt.com or through their Facebook. 22” fluted barrels by Satern @ $320/ea

I have a couple Satern barrels and have been very pleased
© 2024 ALDEER.COM