Aldeer.com

22 hornet ammo question

Posted By: blade

22 hornet ammo question - 07/22/18 09:21 PM

Is 22 hornet ammo in general a dirty ammo? I’ve shot a couple different types and it’s really leaving a lot of residue in the barrel. Hornady and S&B are the two types I’ve shot so far.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: 22 hornet ammo question - 07/23/18 02:36 PM

I do not own, nor have I shot a Hornet. However, I know they use pistol powders. It has been my experience that pistol powders burn pretty sooty, especially at lower pressures. Not sure if that's the case here. Alot of folks out there reloading it, give ole google a search.

Re: 22 hornet ammo question - 07/23/18 03:22 PM

Thanks O, not much I can do about it except keep it clean, I guess.
Posted By: nitroexpress

Re: 22 hornet ammo question - 08/19/18 04:43 PM

S&B is a big offender for unburnt powder in low pressure cases, right along with PMC. I've shot lots of Winchester over the last thirty years, but, once fired Winchesters are then reloaded. I have been using IMR 4227 for long time and I load at the top of the velocity area that shoots accurately in my savage. I also only neck size after so the necks can seal the chamber tighter to produce a more efficient burn. I am starting to work with some cast 44 grain round nose that will allow me to use red dot, unique and a few other fast powders that should be on the cleaner side, like Hodgdon''s Lil'gun powder. A high energy double based powder in small case cartridges is a must in my experience. So, try some Winchester factory loads and think about getting into hand loading for that great little cartridge. If ever a dollar savings can be realized quickly by hand loading, that is one cartridge that will do it if you shoot it a lot.

Re: 22 hornet ammo question - 08/20/18 12:59 AM

Thanks Nitro!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM