Aldeer.com

Cowboy Action Shooting

Posted By: mark

Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/08/18 03:17 AM

Anyone done it? I'm think it might be kinda fun.
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/08/18 03:35 AM

It's fun for the most part I was never serious just wanted to see how I could run a single action.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/08/18 03:36 AM

I use to shoot cowboy matches pretty regularly. That was 20 + years ago. I shot one match a year or so ago, in Brierfield and had plans to get back into it. I sold my rifle though and would have to buy another one so I just haven't got around to it.

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/08/18 04:52 PM

With the all the rain yesterday I spent way too much time watching old westerns. Put in a bid on a Uberti Cattleman with a birds head.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/08/18 06:57 PM

Like this? grin Got the rifle to go with it now.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/08/18 07:15 PM

[Linked Image]

Good Lord, man! What is that? You can't just post that and not give us details.

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/08/18 07:52 PM

It’s a Uberti 1873 Cattleman with the birds head grip. Replaced the wood with elk antler.
Posted By: James

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/09/18 08:48 PM

They fun to shoot! I've never shot the SASS shoots, but I check their site often.
Posted By: RobertM

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/11/18 02:39 PM

They have SASS matches at Cavern Cove where I've shot IDPA, USPSA, and Ruger Rimfire matches. It looks interesting and fun. Some of the SASS shooters I shoot with have tried to recruit me, but they said a loin cloth isn't part of a cowboy costume.
Posted By: Jwbfx4

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/13/18 03:28 AM

never done it, but been wanting to get in one for a while. Hopefully I’ll get to one this year. Would like to try IDPA as well

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/15/18 10:53 PM

Well, blued it is............................... Ruger Vaquero .357 with a 5.5" barrel.................should be here in a week or so. I know the 357/38 isn't a classic cowboy action caliber, but it's cheaper to feed than a 44-40 or 45 colt and it's my first single action.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/15/18 11:08 PM

Sweet!!! The 357 is one of the most popular calibers in cowboy shooting today.

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/15/18 11:09 PM

Now all you need is a wolff spring kit grin
Posted By: jb20

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/15/18 11:27 PM

I got the itch to shoot my coach after reading this yesterday it didnt take but a few 3 inch 00 and i was good lol

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/15/18 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by jb20
I got the itch to shoot my coach after reading this yesterday it didnt take but a few 3 inch 00 and i was good lol

Pulled both triggers on mine about 13 years ago! Damn shoulder still hurts some time slap

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/15/18 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by James

Pulled both triggers on mine about 13 years ago! Damn shoulder still hurts some time slap

Haha i got a single trigger thought itd be quicker but wish i had the double

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/16/18 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by mark
Well, blued it is............................... Ruger Vaquero .357 with a 5.5" barrel.................should be here in a week or so. I know the 357/38 isn't a classic cowboy action caliber, but it's cheaper to feed than a 44-40 or 45 colt and it's my first single action.

My pair of stainless .357 Vaqueros

[Linked Image]free photo hosting

[Linked Image]

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/16/18 12:52 AM

Shaw i had a vaquero case hardened 4 5/8" 44 mag with simulated ivory grips and I sold it about 4 years ago, still kicking myself for that lol....

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/16/18 01:41 AM

Dumb ass.....

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/16/18 02:09 AM

[Linked Image]

I started out shooting cowboy matches with a .357 Blackhawk and a Marlin 1894 Chambered in .357. I shot .38 special out of both. Since the BH had adjustable sights, I had to shoot in the "modern" class. Everyone started shooting Vaqueros and Colt SAAs with fixed sights and I ended up being the only one shooting a modern gun and it wasn't fun winning my class every month since I was the only one in it.

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/16/18 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Shaw
Dumb ass.....

Yep.

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/16/18 02:27 AM

My pair of stainless .357 Vaqueros

[Linked Image]free photo hosting

[Linked Image]

Those are sweet!

How about posting the photo of the birds head with the elk grips again. I went to show it to my wife yesterday, yes, I'm already working on a second one, and the photo isn't loading.

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/16/18 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by James
Dumb ass.....

Yep.

rofl

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/16/18 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by gundoc

[Linked Image]

I started out shooting cowboy matches with a .357 Blackhawk and a Marlin 1894 Chambered in .357. I shot .38 special out of both. Since the BH had adjustable sights, I had to shoot in the "modern" class. Everyone started shooting Vaqueros and Colt SAAs with fixed sights and I ended up being the only one shooting a modern gun and it wasn't fun winning my class every month since I was the only one in it.

Shoulda stepped down prob woulda beat everybody's ass anyway and felt better bout it grin

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/16/18 03:32 AM

[Linked Image]

Shoulda stepped down prob woulda beat everybody's ass anyway and felt better bout it grin

At the time I couldn't afford a new revolver. So I talked them into letting me shoot the traditional class with my Colt Navy replica black powder revolver....I won grin. A few of them complained about it and the next month told me I'd have to shoot the BP class. Again, I woulda been the only one shooting, so I bought a Uberti in .357. Back then the matches were set up so you only needed 1 revolver. When they went to two, I quit shooting because I was recently divorced and broke.

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/16/18 03:48 AM

[Linked Image]

At the time I couldn't afford a new revolver. So I talked them into letting me shoot the traditional class with my Colt Navy replica black powder revolver....I won grin. A few of them complained about it and the next month told me I'd have to shoot the BP class. Again, I woulda been the only one shooting, so I bought a Uberti in .357. Back then the matches were set up so you only needed 1 revolver. When they went to two, I quit shooting because I was recently divorced and broke.

Ha ya life has its way of getting in your way sometimes but in the end it dont matter if u know whos the best...just takes a lil discipline to u understand and live on

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/16/18 10:43 AM

How about posting the photo of the birds head with the elk grips again. I went to show it to my wife yesterday, yes, I'm already working on a second one, and the photo isn't loading.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]screen capture

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/16/18 01:31 PM

Very nice don't know what it is about the birds head, but I have an itch for one of those also.

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - 04/16/18 02:08 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]screen capture

Showed this to The Admiral and she approves.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM