Aldeer.com

What the law on suppresors in Alabama ?

Posted By: BPI

What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/14/18 09:52 PM

Specifically for AR's or pistols ?
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/15/18 12:16 AM

They're legal to own and hunt with. Anything more specific that you're needing to know?
Posted By: James

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/15/18 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote
They're legal to own and hunt with. Anything more specific that you're needing to know?

What Wiley Said...

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/15/18 02:21 PM

So they are legal on any legal firearm then ? AR's and high capacity pistols ? No stipulations, license or fees ?
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/15/18 02:32 PM

Have you done any research on this yourself?
Posted By: gundoc

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/15/18 02:40 PM

The state requires no special license or fee's. The federal government collect the $200.00 Tax and issues the Tax Stamp. You keep that with the suppressor at all times. You can legally attach the suppressor to any firearm it will fit on.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/15/18 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by trlrdrdave
Have you done any research on this yourself?

Why bother? You guys know everything ! Just go to the source.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/15/18 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by gundoc
The state requires no special license or fee's. The federal government collect the $200.00 Tax and issues the Tax Stamp. You keep that with the suppressor at all times. You can legally attach the suppressor to any firearm it will fit on.

I knew there was a catch. Thanks gundoc.
Posted By: klay

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/15/18 05:32 PM

I have a question to. I have a family member with one. If he dies, what happens? No one else has a stamp.
Posted By: Mdees

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/15/18 06:15 PM

Klay,
Without a trust the suppressor is surrenderable to you local Sherrif or Police. It may be willed to another, kept in the estate, but the reciever must apply and recieve proper ATF transfer and tax stamp. Possession of a regulated item, here a suppressor (or an SBR, SBS, machine gun etc) fir which one does not have a stamp (linked to their name) is a felony. While now more difficult and expensive, a trust is a better bet for protecting your investment and your loved ones at the same time. Have your family member look into putting one together if they don't already have one.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/15/18 09:10 PM

I will. How exactly does a trust work? Do I still have to get a license, or does it allow family to own it legally
Posted By: Mdees

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/16/18 01:44 AM

I have a revocable living trust for my stamped toys, and some other stuff. It allows me to name anyone I deem worthy of legal access to such, and in my demise, continued possession. I can add and remove as needed. The primary reason I wnt this route was to protect my wife. She has access to my safes, my safes hold NFA-stamped items, thus she also has possession of said items even when I am absent. This is technically verboten. If I were to die untimely, she would otherwise legally have to surrender such items, but because she is on the trust, she can keep them in-situ until such time as they can be dispersed to other family members(also on the trust) or legally sold and transferred off of the trust.
There is much to read about the topic online and I suggest doing so. Asking questions is always a good idea if you are confused about one point or another. NFA laws are something the BATFE do not F around with and ignorance of the laws is never a viable excuse.

FYI: I like the Magpul grips with storage compartments on my ARs that may carry a suppressor. I print full-size color copies of my stamps and fold them in sandwich bags and shove them in there just in case.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/16/18 02:39 AM

Thank you. I'm definetly going to do some more digging.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/16/18 11:19 AM

To add to what Mdees posted, any NFA toy tat's on a Trust will transfer tax free to any of the trustees on the trust. To transfer to anybody else the whole process starts over and another $200 stamp is required.

And for BPI, you REALLY need to do your own research. You were given good info in here but you clearly understand every aspect of getting into NFA. I researched for over 2 years before I spent my first $200. There's a LOT more info readily available now than there was back then and that makes it easier.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/16/18 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mdees
Klay,
Without a trust the suppressor is surrenderable to you local Sherrif or Police. It may be willed to another, kept in the estate, but the reciever must apply and recieve proper ATF transfer and tax stamp. Possession of a regulated item, here a suppressor (or an SBR, SBS, machine gun etc) fir which one does not have a stamp (linked to their name) is a felony. While now more difficult and expensive, a trust is a better bet for protecting your investment and your loved ones at the same time. Have your family member look into putting one together if they don't already have one.

If your family member starts a trust, they will have to do a transfer and apply for a stamp in the name of the trust before the trust owns the item.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/16/18 12:36 PM

To add to what Mdees posted, any NFA toy tat's on a Trust will transfer tax free to any of the trustees on the trust. To transfer to anybody else the whole process starts over and another $200 stamp is required.

And for BPI, you REALLY need to do your own research. You were given good info in here but you clearly understand every aspect of getting into NFA. I researched for over 2 years before I spent my first $200. There's a LOT more info readily available now than there was back then and that makes it easier.

Trust me, this will not be the only source of my info. But I do believe it's a good start. Thanks for all the input.
Posted By: ValleyDawg

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/16/18 02:18 PM

In the event of a death of the suppressor owner, the suppressor will be transferred tax free to whomever your will designates. An atf form 5 will need to be filled out by the receiver and they will have to do the dog and pony show background check and fingerprints etc.. but it is a tax free transfer. That is the case if owned by individual. If owned by a trust with several trustees it still remains owned by the trust and the other trustees still retain use. If it is on a trust with just 1 trustee and that 1 trustee dies then it goes to the beneficiary listed in the trust and again a form 5 tax free transfer can be done.
I am not a professional or lawyer by any means but that is what I have found in my research. Here is an article that helps.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dakotasilencer.com/what-happens-to-your-silencer-when-you-die/amp/
Posted By: ValleyDawg

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/16/18 02:21 PM

Also, as far as general ownership and purchasing questions, silencerco.com and silencershop.com have an excellent library of resources to read and educate yourself on. It really isn't crazy complicated, but the government also makes it more complicated than it needs to be.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/20/18 04:00 AM

dphillips@deanphillipslaw.com

Here is the email for the guy who did my gun trust. Recommended by TS Arms. Cheap and easy best I can tell
Posted By: Boom

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/23/18 04:27 PM

Guess everybody starts somewhere. Class III / NFA. Read up and contact your local CLEO (chief law enforcement officer) for more info.

smh

BOOM

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/25/18 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Boom
Guess everybody starts somewhere. Class III / NFA. Read up and contact your local CLEO (chief law enforcement officer) for more info.

smh

BOOM

What info would they give?

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 03/25/18 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by doekiller
Originally Posted by Boom

smh

BOOM

What info would they give?

I couldn't make myself ask..........
Posted By: NotsoBright

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 04/07/18 10:47 PM

www.atf.gov has the hand book and forms to print if needed.
Posted By: gman

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 05/16/18 03:25 PM

Seeing November '17 apps being approved. Hoping i'm within 30 days of getting stamp for my second can!
Posted By: Alb

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 05/31/18 01:34 PM

I sent my paperwork and check off the last week of November. My LGS called yesterday to tell me my tax stamp was in . I got a Spectre 22 got to shoot it some late yesterday the YouTube videos don't do it justice on just how quiet they are.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 05/31/18 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Alb
I sent my paperwork and check off the last week of November. My LGS called yesterday to tell me my tax stamp was in . I got a Spectre 22 got to shoot it some late yesterday the YouTube videos don't do it justice on just how quiet they are.
Individual or trust? If trust, did you fill out responsible party form at time of application?
Posted By: Alb

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 05/31/18 01:56 PM

It's individual kinda regret that my next can will be set up in a trust.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 05/31/18 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Alb

Congrats! The Spectre and Spectre II are excellent suppressors.
Posted By: Narrow Gap

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/01/18 07:39 AM

Anybody know what the rules are If You owned a suppressor before the law took effect? Are You grandfathered in And Do Not have to have a Tax stamp or Do You have to apply for a Tax stamp?
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/01/18 11:38 AM

The National Firearms Act was enacted on June 26, 1934..............

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/01/18 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by UncleHuck

The National Firearms Act was enacted on June 26, 1934..............
Gotcha. Thanks for info. This subject of suppressors being regulated by The Federal government is a prime example of putting law abiding citizens through a Bunch Of Red tape and Doing nothing to Help with gun violence.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/01/18 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Narrow Gap
Anybody know what the rules are If You owned a suppressor before the law took effect? Are You grandfathered in And Do Not have to have a Tax stamp or Do You have to apply for a Tax stamp?
I'm thinking the rule for that would be...don't mention on an internet site...and don't use it in public where ANYONE could see it. Unless previous owner of said can had a stamp, I'm not sure how ownership could change hands to anyone other than that alphabet agency?

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/01/18 04:20 PM

If you had a suppressor made before the law went into effect in 1934, then you had a certain length of time it register it for free and get a stamp. In other words, there was a grace period. However, there is not a chance you have a suppressor made before the law went into effect.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/01/18 05:01 PM

If you had a suppressor made before the law went into effect in 1934, then you had a certain length of time it register it for free and get a stamp. In other words, there was a grace period. However, there is not a chance you have a suppressor made before the law went into effect.
I think By Your Post You think I have a Suppressor. That is not what I said in My question if my wording was confusing. I would never own a Suppressor and Be subject to the NFA Rules/ Class 3 Of Be Subject To Big brother coming and taking a Look at My gun collection any time they want. Maybe I am wrong on The ATF being able to come an Inspect Your stuff if You are a Class 3 owner but that is My understanding of the Rules?

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/01/18 05:21 PM

I see the myth of the ATF kicking doors in at 2AM to look at silencers is still alive and well. This thing has been discussed over on silencertalk.com and nary a single soul has been invaded by the ATF to see their NFA toys.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/01/18 05:28 PM

I see the myth of the ATF kicking doors in at 2AM to look at silencers is still alive and well. This thing has been discussed over on silencertalk.com and nary a single soul has been invaded by the ATF to see their NFA toys.
Your Right Wiley about Myths. I personally think The Country could do without the ATF and We would not miss a beat. There are a whole lot of misconceptions when it comes to the dealings of the ATF.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/01/18 05:48 PM

I'd love to see the ATF and IRS abolished

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/01/18 07:43 PM

I'd love to see the ATF and IRS abolished
this
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/11/18 12:58 AM

Once you get a suppressor, you forgo your rights on the spot. No discussion. Not saying that they will ever come for it, but they can. All of this crap would be gone if they had passed the hearing protection act. We can all thank Hilary " communist" Clinton and her America hating cronies. After the Vegas shooting, she said it would have been worse if the shooter had "silencers"!!!!!!!! Silencers, really.... What is this? An episode of James Bond in 007? They are called suppressor and they make some noise, just don't ruin your hearing.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/11/18 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Big Bore
Once you get a suppressor, you forgo your rights on the spot. No discussion..

THAT is 100% BULLSCHIT. No discussion.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/11/18 04:28 AM

Wiley...you are trying to say to all that are reading that I am wrong? Really? So you are saying that the ATF can't ask to see your suppressor at any time? Because if that is what you are saying then you are misinforming a whole lot of people and making yourself look like a dumba$$ in the process. I have several suppressors and all of them could be looked at anytime by ATF.

BTW....many AR owners in Illinois didn't think registering them would be a big deal either. Now they are being fined $1,000.00 per day if they don't surrender them to authorities.

Back in 1939, Jews were being asked to register as well.

Funny how history can repeat itself.

Boom

No discussion!

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/11/18 05:04 AM

Wiley...you are trying to say to all that are reading that I am wrong? Really? So you are saying that the ATF can't ask to see your suppressor at any time? Because if that is what you are saying then you are misinforming a whole lot of people and making yourself look like a dumba$$ in the process. I have several suppressors and all of them could be looked at anytime by ATF.

BTW....many AR owners in Illinois didn't think registering them would be a big deal either. So Now they are being fined $1,000.00 per day if they don't surrender them to authorities.

Back in 1939, Jews were being asked to register as well.

Funny how history can repeat itself.

Boom

No discussion!

Meh they can randomly inspect ffl holders at any time, but they can't enter your home or property without a warrant, well maybe yours, but I guarantee they won't mine or Wileys. So now who's spreading the bull & making himself look like a dumbazz? BOOM END OF DISCUSSION. Well there is one more thing, if the ATF does come knocking on your door at 1am, you can bet your azz it won't be because of a few NFA toys!

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/11/18 05:15 AM

This is not worthy of a response or reply. I'm done.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/11/18 07:37 AM

Silencers, really.... What is this? An episode of James Bond in 007? They are called suppressor and they make some noise, just don't ruin your hearing.

I missed this gem...Uh actually when Hiram invented the "suppressor" (as we like to call 'em now) he referred to it as the "Maxim Silencer" it's in his patent thumbup

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2016/10/history-of-suppressors/

You might learn something if you read the link above......

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/13/18 11:19 AM

While the ATF absolutely can come to your door and ask to see your device, they can't enter without a warrant or your permission, and they only have authority to examine the licensed item.

There is virtually no history of them doing this without major reason, and they don't have the staff to regularly check.
Posted By: BC

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/13/18 06:10 PM

While the ATF absolutely can come to your door and ask to see your device, they can't enter without a warrant or your permission, and they only have authority to examine the licensed item.

There is virtually no history of them doing this without major reason, and they don't have the staff to regularly check.

Apparently it happened in Kalifonistan yesterday. There's a thread about it in the General Forum.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/13/18 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by BC

Apparently it happened in Kalifonistan yesterday. There's a thread about it in the General Forum.

Had 0 to do with suppressors from what the gazillion news stories I've read.
Posted By: BC

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 06/14/18 05:44 PM

Not checked for a suppressor per se, but it did play a role in the story.

"Kirschenmann was arraigned on May 21 and given $150,000 bail. The farmer faces nine felony counts of unlawful possession of an “assault weapon,” two counts of possessing a suppressor, and one charge of possessing a “multiburst trigger activator.” There is nothing in the report to indicate Kirschenmann violated any federal laws or that he has misused his firearms in any manner."
Posted By: GKelly

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 07/03/18 08:18 PM

I think By Your Post You think I have a Suppressor. That is not what I said in My question if my wording was confusing. I would never own a Suppressor and Be subject to the NFA Rules/ Class 3 Of Be Subject To Big brother coming and taking a Look at My gun collection any time they want. Maybe I am wrong on The ATF being able to come an Inspect Your stuff if You are a Class 3 owner but that is My understanding of the Rules?

the ATF can not inspect you for owning NFA items anymore than they can inspect anyone else without a warrant. people confuse having NFA tax stamps with FFL licenses if you had an FFL they can inspect once per year randomly during listed business hours (they dont show up at 2am knockin on the door) once you have the tax stamp thats it they cant just show up and demand to look at something without a warrant. its basically no different than making any other legal gun purchase just a more drawn out background check.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 07/04/18 01:33 AM

“More drawn out background check”...yep. They musta seen me post on here. They picked my file up over a month ago...still no word.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 07/05/18 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by gman
“More drawn out background check”...yep. They musta seen me post on here. They picked my file up over a month ago...still no word.

last stamp i got took 7 months on an SBR Ive heard of people waiting close to a year. I really dont understand what takes so long they really dont do anything more than the regular background check that takes 15 minutes in a gunstore. We do all the foot work before its ever sent in getting fingerprints and a Sheriffs signature. it shouldnt take more than 2 weeks.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 07/05/18 05:03 PM

There you go again. Everyone should know by now that logic and government almost never occupy the same space.

I do agree, though. I never figured out why they can't just sell the stamps in the same store that sells the items and dispense with the extra background check. Hell, suppressors have to be installed on a firearm to do anything, and you don't need the secret squirrel background check for a rifle or handgun.

Regarding the time, it's because they can. 3 years ago, my company was seeking a permit for work in LA. Our guy called the Army Corps of Engineers to check on the permit. He was told it was on "Sue's" desk, and she was on vacation for a month. She would get to it when she came back. The ACOE rep couldn't understand why we would want someone else to take over while "Sue" was out, and did not re-assign the project.

Private sector business experience should be a requirement for any prospective government employee, and their customer service rating should determine whether they remain employed, get promotion opportunities, etc. What we have today is what happens when there is no true accountability and folks can't be fired.

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 07/05/18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by GKelly
Originally Posted by gman

last stamp i got took 7 months on an SBR Ive heard of people waiting close to a year. I really dont understand what takes so long they really dont do anything more than the regular background check that takes 15 minutes in a gunstore. We do all the foot work before its ever sent in getting fingerprints and a Sheriffs signature. it shouldnt take more than 2 weeks.

Dont need no Sheriffs sig anymore
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: What the law on suppresors in Alabama ? - 07/05/18 06:49 PM

Submitted mine in December. Still waiting...
© 2024 ALDEER.COM