Aldeer.com

Skeet o/u 12ga under $500

Posted By: Drake322

Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/13/18 08:17 PM

Since my Son bought his first o/u, he has been on my arse to get one and start back going with him to the range. Cannot afford to do that again like I used to. I may play at it again in the next few months.

New or used, with ejectors, what would consider to be the best skeet gun for the money under $500?
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/13/18 09:10 PM

I've held and shot the Yildiz in 20 and it seemed like a pretty dang good gun for the money.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/13/18 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by odocoileus
I've held and shot the Yildiz in 20 and it seemed like a pretty dang good gun for the money.

Have the same in 12

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/13/18 09:34 PM

These guns do not come with ejectors do they?
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/13/18 09:36 PM

If I recall they have ejectors. Academy lists them as single trigger selectable barrel with ejectors.

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/13/18 09:41 PM

Okay. Thanks I will look them up again

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/13/18 10:39 PM

I also need to add that I may want to add a set of tubes like 28ga later if I like the gun I get (if I get one) so bore diam will be critical.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/14/18 12:38 AM

Personally,I wouldn't buy a cheap O/U. You can get a higher quality semi auto cheaper than an O/U. It just costs more to produce a quality O/U than a quality semi auto.
Posted By: 1shot

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/14/18 12:45 AM

I’ve got a Yildiz 20ga 28” barrels. It has ejectors. I’ve prolly put 1,000 rounds through it without a hiccup. My only complaint was that the action was very tight but a little lapping compound and fixed that. I’d buy another without hesitation if my budget was $500 or less.

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/14/18 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Personally,I wouldn't buy a cheap O/U. You can get a higher quality semi auto cheaper than an O/U. It just costs more to produce a quality O/U than a quality semi auto.

I do not want one. Call me old school, but I was taught by a bunch of older men when I started. There was only one guy that had an auto. Beautiful 1100 that had had a Fajen stock, shell catcher, the works. Shot it rarely. They frowned on people that had autos because of they could not glance at that gun and see it broken open and unloaded. Just a personal preference to me.
Posted By: Ron A.

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/14/18 11:01 AM

I have been thinking about a s/s in 20 gauge. I have read a lot of good things about the Stevens 555.
you might want to check them out.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/14/18 03:20 PM

I have gone completely through a Yildiz O/U to the point of a complete tear down and reassembly. Other than using pins where a more expensive gun would use a threaded part, they are built quite well. They use an aluminum receiver and the would it metal fit isn't as tight as say a Franchi, Beretta or Citori, but internally they are just as well built, and a fraction of the cost f those three. Of those three, the Franchi Instinct SL also uses an aluminum receiver.

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/14/18 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Drake322

I do not want one. Call me old school, but I was taught by a bunch of older men when I started. There was only one guy that had an auto. Beautiful 1100 that had had a Fajen stock, shell catcher, the works. Shot it rarely. They frowned on people that had autos because of they could not glance at that gun and see it broken open and unloaded. Just a personal preference to me.

I can understand that.Just be aware that the quality of the Turkish made cheap O/U guns is not what a B gun would be and even on the serviceable ones is hit or miss.

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/14/18 03:27 PM

I can understand that.Just be aware that the quality of the Turkish made cheap O/U guns is not what a B gun would be and even on the serviceable ones is hit or miss.

Point taken.

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/14/18 05:13 PM

If you look a while,you might possibly find an older SKB,not much above your budget, that would be equal in quality to a new B gun. You want one of the older Japanese made guns though. The company went out of business and the name has recently been appropriated by a Turkish manufacturer.
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/14/18 09:28 PM

If you can find an older Miroku or Charles Daly, go for it. Otherwise, the Yldiz is a good option.

12 gauge in an over/under will thump you pretty good
Posted By: muddy_buckz

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/18/18 01:52 AM

Tristar
Posted By: quickshot

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/18/18 02:14 PM

Saw a Tristar at Wal-Mart for $375 looked like a well built over and under
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/19/18 12:15 AM

Do you have any experience to back up your claims? I put somewhere north of 10k rounds through a yildiz 12ga. Probably a third of that was shooting steel shot while duck hunting the rest was skeet and sporting clays. The only issue I ever experienced was the injectors sticking after getting it muddy and wet through a whole duck season without cleaning it. I now own a yildiz 20ga. It doesn't have many rounds through it, but it gives every indication of being a great gun. I can count numerous times where Beneli and beretta autos failed to function in a duck blind, but only 1 instance of injectors causing me about 10 seconds of grief with the yildiz. There are some very nice o/u out there. Certainly some of them point better than a yildiz, have a better fit and finish, or maybe even have a slight edge in reliability. There is absolutely not a wide margin in functionality, and that's backed up by damn near every review you can find on the Internet.

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/19/18 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Atoler

Do you have any experience to back up your claims? I put somewhere north of 10k rounds through a yildiz 12ga. Probably a third of that was shooting steel shot while duck hunting the rest was skeet and sporting clays. The only issue I ever experienced was the injectors sticking after getting it muddy and wet through a whole duck season without cleaning it. I now own a yildiz 20ga. It doesn't have many rounds through it, but it gives every indication of being a great gun. I can count numerous times where Beneli and beretta autos failed to function in a duck blind, but only 1 instance of injectors causing me about 10 seconds of grief with the yildiz. There are some very nice o/u out there. Certainly some of them point better than a yildiz, have a better fit and finish, or maybe even have a slight edge in reliability. There is absolutely not a wide margin in functionality, and that's backed up by damn near every review you can find on the Internet.

OK then,if it makes you feel better your $400 0/U is every bit as good as a $2000 gun and anyone would have to be a fool to pay more.
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/19/18 03:52 AM

[quote=Atoler][quote=R_H_Clark]

OK then,if it makes you feel better your $400 0/U is every bit as good as a $2000 gun and anyone would have to be a fool to pay more.

You pay more for the better fit & finish. Yldiz makes a fine gun, just noit nearly as pretty as a Beretta.
Posted By: .308

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/19/18 09:22 AM

I have had nothing but good results with my Yildiz O/U 20. Gun snobs will not like a Yildiz but it is a good looking good shooting shotgun & comes with 5 chokes. My only complaint might be it has a sharp recoil for a 20 due to it's light weight but even that isn't a problem for an adult.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Skeet o/u 12ga under $500 - 03/19/18 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Atoler

Looks like that 20 ga did good this weekend too! Nice bird! thumbup
© 2024 ALDEER.COM