Aldeer.com

Looking to buy a UTV

Posted By: Forrestgump1

Looking to buy a UTV - 01/09/18 11:15 PM

Ive looked at rangers hondas and yamahas. Even stopped by the kawasaki dealership. Trying to figure out what to go with. Have heard good and bad on polaris, good on honda and yamaha. Kawasaki power wise doesnt seem to be on par. Just looking for any information or recommendations from yall. Im pretty open to all brands.
Posted By: deadeye

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/10/18 01:34 AM

Buy the three seater Yahama Viking and thank me later. I have been VERY pleased with mine. The 6 seater version is too long and low in my opinion. I don't like any of the 4 door UTVs. I am in real estate and use it often to show land. Rides great, ample power, room for 3 big folks, best engine and CVT transmission in the business and built like a tank. Add a set of 27" ITP Mud Lites, winch and folding front windshield and you are good to go. I have a friend that sells multiple brands and he said he rarely sees a Viking back in the shop after they leave other than routine servicing.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/10/18 07:30 AM

The reason you hear more bad about polaris than the others is because for every 1 Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, can am or kubota utv, there are 1,000 polaris utv's.

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/10/18 07:51 AM

Close behind a Yahama Viking would be a Honda. I did A LOT of research.
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/10/18 08:01 AM

My buddy has a Honda Pioneer and loves it, if I bought one that was what I would get.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/10/18 08:29 AM

Big Iron UTVs, the toughest on the market.
http://safervideos.com/pictures/xyo/BigIron600-EFI_main1.jpg
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/10/18 08:53 AM

Kawasaki is probably not as powerful, but they're also cheaper, and pretty reliable. I don't have a lot of need for a lot of HP, just riding around the land. Rangers certainly hold their value, and would probably be my first choice, all things considered.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/10/18 08:54 AM

Buy a polaris. I've owned a few with minimal issues and I own 2 currently. I don't have to take a friends word that it's a good product, I know it is.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/10/18 11:17 AM

My Ranger 900 pulled a broken Viking out of a rice field 3 weeks ago.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/10/18 12:57 PM

There's a good reason Polaris outsells all other brands.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/10/18 12:59 PM

Posted By: burbank

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/10/18 03:05 PM

Cause they need replacing sooner? smile
Originally Posted By: AU338MAG
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/10/18 05:20 PM

I've owned 4 Rangers, currently owning two. When someone makes something better, I'll switch.
Posted By: pcola4

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/10/18 06:39 PM

New they are all getting too expensive. I priced a Polaris 900 two seater band by the time you add a roof and windshield it's 14000. A friend bought the Honda 1000 and loves it but paid 17000. I may stay hunting out of my truck.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/10/18 08:01 PM

Thats what Im running into now. For what I would pay for a new one I could almost buy 2 single cab tacomas. Since when did these things get so expensive?
Posted By: David Ellis

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/11/18 03:34 AM

Polaris works well for me.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/11/18 08:35 AM

The Big Iron is $9000 and made of real metal. No plastic anywhere.
Posted By: Luvbowhuntn

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/11/18 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: TickaTicka
My Ranger 900 pulled a broken Viking out of a rice field 3 weeks ago.

And I pulled 3 Rangers out of flooded rice fields with the Viking I had because their belts were slipping. Neither situation reflects one being a better machine than the other. I bought the Viking I had because I could buy it and load it out how I wanted cheaper than I could buy a stock Ranger. Never once regretted selling my Ranger to upgrade to the Viking 6 that I had. Only reason I ever sold it was due to us not ever riding it anymore. They both make excellent machines
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/11/18 03:05 PM

Depending on your desired use, why not a mini-truck?

Guy has a camo lifted one here in Cullman for $7-8k.

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/11/18 08:37 PM

The Viking has a much better CVT transmission than any other one on the market and the engine is bullet-proof. It also has a full length metal skid plate
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/11/18 10:35 PM

I like my Kawasaki Teryx but they are like anything else. Decide exactly what you are going to do with it then try and test drive several that meets the purpose. Buy whichever one you like.

I will say this. If you want to carry 4 people I wouldn't look at the Polaris. Their wheelbase is WAY to long for my liking. Very difficult to maneuver on trails and dang near impossible in the woods.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/12/18 10:32 AM

I've had or currently have a few of each. I don't "ride" I use them for work and you can keep anything with a bucket seat arrangement I don't like it. Mechanically the machines are all fine but bench seats are the only way to go for me.

The best engineered machine is the Honda without a doubt. It is like driving a car. 4 seater is same wheelbase as 2 seater. Good machine so far I've had no problems.

I've had and have Rangers they've been good machines as well. Anything belt driven will eventually have belt issues but knowing that going in and keeping them maintained is the key to long service. I've got some that have been rode hard and they are good machines. They are relatively inexpensive to maintain and lots of shops know how to work on them. Like Josh said above though a Crew is like driving a bus through the woods. They are long. Better suited for farm land than the woods.

All your others like your Kutoba's, Mules, etc. I don't really know why anyone would buy one of those unless they lived somewhere they had no other dealer support. All those are expensive to maintain and work on and the initially cost is too high.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/12/18 02:49 PM

We have a 2012 Kawasaki Mule for sale...

Biggest diesel they make
Cab
4x4
about 1200 miles on it
Garage kept.
Posted By: jbc

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/12/18 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: burbank
Cause they need replacing sooner? smile
Originally Posted By: AU338MAG

I laughed
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/12/18 07:23 PM

There are lemons from every manufacturer. But I'd play the odds and go with polaris. Try and get a efi model In case you are considering getting a used one
Posted By: Engine5

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/12/18 09:53 PM

I have plenty of dealings with rangers, good machines with the exception of 1 thing. There is no automatic engine braking, when going down a hill or mountain it free wheels. You have to hit the gas pedal to get it to help with braking, which results in using your brake pedal all the way down. For that reason, I will not own another one. Ive been on a honda pioneer once and liked it, but not enough to say that would be my #1.
Posted By: Huntnwork

Re: Looking to buy a UTV - 01/12/18 11:05 PM

Don't think if buying new you can go wrong with any brand. Just test drive them all and buy the one that appeals most to you.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM