Aldeer.com

Thumbhole Stocks?

Posted By: ivanwright

Thumbhole Stocks? - 11/21/17 10:16 AM

Thinking of getting a nice looking wood grain stock for the first hunting rifle I was given... it's a Winchester Model 70 .270. Came with the sporter style synthetic stock. I kind of just want to nice it up to hand down to my kids one day.

Anyway, considering a thumbhole stock because I kind of like the look, but not sure how practical that is from a hunting perspective. Only experience I have to compare would be my Rem 870 Shurshot stock... which I really like for turkey hunting.

Anyone have any thoughts on thumbhole stock vs more classic stock for a hunting rifle?
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Thumbhole Stocks? - 11/21/17 01:13 PM

I used to think they were cool. Now I don't think I'd own one. I used to prefer laminated stocks, now I appreciate nice traditional wood stocks. Taste changes, get whatever you like, it will be fine for hunting. Maybe slightly heavier, but still fine.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Thumbhole Stocks? - 11/21/17 01:16 PM

They're practical on some firearms. I love having them on shotguns used for turkey hunting. Other than that I'm not sure of the need. Hard to beat a good traditional stock on a hunting rifle.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM