Aldeer.com

Stiffening a cheap stock

Posted By: GomerPyle

Stiffening a cheap stock - 11/16/17 03:43 PM

I have a savage 11 .308. shoots good, but one thing that bothers me is the flimsy plastic stock. I was initially just going to replace it, but now I'm saving up to hopefully do a custom build at some point, so don't really want to dump much $ into this one.

Anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive way to stiffen this factory stock? it's free-floated when there's no pressure on the end of the stock, but it moves easily to the point where it touches the barrel. Can you fill it with something that hardens so that it isn't as flexible? I've heard people mention JB Weld, but didn't know if that really works or not.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Stiffening a cheap stock - 11/16/17 03:49 PM

I used spray foam in my ruger american

Re: Stiffening a cheap stock - 11/16/17 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: jmudler
I used spray foam in my ruger american

You serious, Clark? If so, got any pics and/or a write up on how you went about doing it? how'd it turn out?
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Stiffening a cheap stock - 11/16/17 05:00 PM

I stiffened one on a model 70 a little with a carbon arrow shaft and some JB weld. It only helps a little though. I bedded it and had plenty left over ,otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Stiffening a cheap stock - 11/16/17 05:57 PM

Waste of your time.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Stiffening a cheap stock - 11/16/17 06:17 PM

If it ain't broke, no need to fix it. I have a Remington 700 with the cheap plastic stock that shoots good. Bothers me also but if I try to fix it I may end up altering the accuracy. Leave it alone until you decide to drop some real cash into it.
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Stiffening a cheap stock - 11/16/17 08:10 PM

Hog it out with a dremel, cut down a carbon arrow shaft to fit and bed it in with jb weld or some kind of bedding compound.

Re: Stiffening a cheap stock - 11/16/17 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: just_an_illusion
Hog it out with a dremel, cut down a carbon arrow shaft to fit and bed it in with jb weld or some kind of bedding compound.

was thinking of something like that but using a threaded rod instead of an arrow. seems it'd be stiffer and more surface area for the compound to "hold"
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Stiffening a cheap stock - 11/16/17 10:18 PM

https://www.hogueinc.com/savage-10-11-14...k-ghillie-green

grin
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Stiffening a cheap stock - 11/16/17 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: GomerPyle
Originally Posted By: just_an_illusion

was thinking of something like that but using a threaded rod instead of an arrow. seems it'd be stiffer and more surface area for the compound to "hold"

You can put a steel bar in there if you don't care how heavy it is.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Stiffening a cheap stock - 11/16/17 11:30 PM

I've used extruded aluminum c channel (the small stuff like they use on an ADT yard sign...don't laugh grin ) and the original acra-glas from Brownells. NOT the gel. You want it real thin so it will flow and level itself out. I've done that on both Savage and an A Bolt that had a custom heavy barrel that after floating removed so much of the stock it was flimsy.

An arrow shaft would probably work well too. The all thread rod is a good idea too, just degrease whatever you use really well in order to get good adhesion between the epoxy and the stiffener
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Stiffening a cheap stock - 11/17/17 10:03 AM

The Savage stock is a PITA. And stupidly enough really nobody makes a good replacement that doesn't cost as much as a used rifle.

I've always had the best results stiffening a stock using all thread because you can tailor the side easily. Carbon arrow would work I'm sure as well. Doesn't take much. I think stiffening the stock to completely rigid is overrated because I'm not sure what people are doing to put that much torque on the fore end but maybe a bipod, etc. really doesn't matter however I would agree they could use a little stiffening.

The first thing I do to stiffen the stock is throw the factory job in the trash can. Then..

I'd look at a Laminated Boyds. I'd rather spend time finishing that stock and possibly bedding it than messing with the factory stock.

I'd look at a Hogue Piller but the full bedding block one is a whole lot better. The pillar can be flimsy too.

If you've got the money the B&C is the way to go. probably cost as much or more than the gun though.
Posted By: Oscarflytyer

Re: Stiffening a cheap stock - 11/17/17 10:08 PM

Haven't done it, but.. Looked into it, and if I were to do it, would be an aluminum arrow shaft, or aluminum rod form hardware store, embedded in Acruglas. Then bbl free floated up to within 1 1/2" of front action bed point.
Posted By: 5Pages

Re: Stiffening a cheap stock - 11/21/17 10:32 AM

Had the same problem with Savage, replaced the stock with Boyds.

Re: Stiffening a cheap stock - 11/21/17 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By: 5Pages
Had the same problem with Savage, replaced the stock with Boyds.

Yeah, I'd looked at them, but all they have is wood/laminate, and I'm kinda off that look for now. plus really don't wanna spend $150 on a stock. May give the threaded rod/JB Weld deal a try. If it doesn't work, then I'm right back to replacing the stock anyway. What've I got to lose, right?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM