Aldeer.com

Leupold problem I think

Posted By: Shack84

Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 06:57 AM

I made the switch to a Leupold vx3i this year. I replaced the Burris I’ve had for years on there. It shoots 18” high and 6” to the right and I’m out of adjustment turrets. I took it back to where I purchased it and the said they shimmed my mount. Should I go with taller rings or is something going on with the scope? It’s on a Remington 700 .308 that was driving tacks before the Burris started fogging up
Posted By: bill

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 07:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Shack84
I made the switch to a Leupold vx3i this year. I replaced the Burris I’ve had for years on there. It shoots 18” high and 6” to the right and I’m out of adjustment turrets. I took it back to where I purchased it and the said they shimmed my mount. Should I go with taller rings or is something going on with the scope? It’s on a Remington 700 .308 that was driving tacks before the Burris started fogging up

Burris would repair or replace your scope at no charge.

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 07:37 AM

I didn’t know that when I bought the Leupold.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 07:53 AM

It's a good chance that their shim job placed torque on your scope tube,which can cause other problems.

You need to know if the scope is out of spec or your receiver or mounts are out of alignment. Out of alignment receiver holes need to be fixed with Burris inserts in signature rings which won't torque the scope tube,and no worries about shims moving either.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 08:06 AM

Originally Posted By: bill

So will Leupold if the scope is the problem. Should not have to shim it if mounts are O.K. The place you bought it from should know that?

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 08:11 AM

Originally Posted By: wew3006

So will Leupold if the scope is the problem. Should not have to shim it if mounts are O.K. The place you bought it from should know that?

Kinda what I was thinking. I bought it from marks so I guess I’ll be headed back up there today for the third time.

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 08:11 AM

Originally Posted By: wew3006

X2
Regardless of the problem, it should not have been shimmed with thin strips of metal.

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 08:14 AM

Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark
It's a good chance that their shim job placed torque on your scope tube,which can cause other problems.

You need to know if the scope is out of spec or your receiver or mounts are out of alignment. Out of alignment receiver holes need to be fixed with Burris inserts in signature rings which won't torque the scope tube,and no worries about shims moving either.

I can’t understand why I didn’t have shims or anything else when I had the Burris on there. They told me that they switched the rings that I had for Leupold rings.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 08:16 AM

Never. I bought a vx3i for my suppressed 308 last week. Took 3 shots to zero. Kinda impressed with it so far.

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 08:23 AM

Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark

I can’t understand why I didn’t have shims or anything else when I had the Burris on there. They told me that they switched the rings that I had for Leupold rings.

You have to start doing all your own mounting. They may have installed the mounts wrong or they may have been out of spec from the start,or your receiver holes may be off and you didn't know it before. Hard to know without having the gun and starting at the start.

What style mounts are on your gun?
Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 08:31 AM

Can you post a pic of your setup? It is probably something simple.
Posted By: Hornhntr

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 05:21 PM

They could have installed a 20 moa base on it. Even then you should still be able to zero at 100 but be almost out of ‘’down’’ adjustment. What distance are you shooting at? If they are leupold adjustable bases then that would explain the windage issues and could be adjusted out. I dont know why they would let it leave there like that. No way it would have been close on a bore sight. As said above pics would be great.

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Hornhntr
They could have installed a 20 moa base on it. Even then you should still be able to zero at 100 but be almost out of ‘’down’’ adjustment. What distance are you shooting at? If they are leupold adjustable bases then that would explain the windage issues and could be adjusted out. I dont know why they would let it leave there like that. No way it would have been close on a bore sight. As said above pics would be great.

In my experience gun shops can't mount scopes worth a crap and boresighters aren't worth a crap,and most people don't give a crap. That's why it left like it did and they did a crap patch job when it came back.

My condolences to the OP
If you are close to Haleyville,I'll help you get it sorted out.

Nevermind,I just saw your location.

Post a picture of the mounts or just tell us what they are.

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 07:40 PM

Hey guys, just got in from work. Took it to a gun smith and we found that the bullet was hitting the baffle in the suppressor. Threaded part of the barrel was bent a little.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 07:57 PM

Was the suppressor on the gun when you shot with the Burris?

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: marshmud991
Was the suppressor on the gun when you shot with the Burris?

No. The way I understood it was that Remington threaded some of the barrels a little bit off. It does not affect the accuracy until you put the suppressor on it.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 08:27 PM

I think they just wanted to sell you some new mounts. What did they say was wrong with the old mounts?
Posted By: Hornhntr

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 08:50 PM

I am confused. It was shooting correctly with the Burris and the suppressor?
You had the Luepold installed and shot with the suppressor and it was 18’’ high?
Have you shot it without the suppressor?

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Hornhntr
I am confused. It was shooting correctly with the Burris and the suppressor?
You had the Luepold installed and shot with the suppressor and it was 18’’ high?
Have you shot it without the suppressor?

I’ve had the Burris on gun for years. It started fogging up last year. Never shot the suppressor with the Burris. Suppressor is shooting fine on another rifle that I have. When you put the suppressor on the gun that I’m having problems with it’s shooting crazy. I have shot it without suppressor and it shoots fine.

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs

I think they just wanted to sell you some new mounts. What did they say was wrong with the old mounts?

To close to the barrel. You’re right, probably just wanted to sell a set.

Re: Leupold problem I think - 11/15/17 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs

To close to the barrel. You’re right, probably just wanted to sell a set.

Not too close to the barrel unless they caused your objective to touch the barrel,or unless they were too close for you to use the scope covers you wanted to use.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM