Aldeer.com

Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions

Posted By: khunter

Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/05/17 10:35 PM

Going to be buying a new scope soon and liked what I’ve seen of the Leupold VX6-5 HDseries. Both have the same glass with the VX5 not having some of the extras. Going to go look through one soon but wondering if anyone has any field experience with them.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/05/17 11:23 PM

Can't go wrong with anything VX6 wise.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/05/17 11:52 PM

Leupold makes a lot of scopes but I've also been hearing more and more failures of Leupolds. Also hearing of scopes getting sent back multiple times before they are fixed.Take it any way you like but I didn't hear of near as many failures just five years ago.
Posted By: khunter

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/06/17 12:12 AM

What types of failures and were they across all series? No brand preferences, the Leupold just fit what I was looking for to put on a new rifle.
Posted By: James

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/06/17 12:17 AM

Looked through a Vx5 last week it was nice, but i grabbed a Vxr 4-12×50 And a Nikon black 1,000 instead...
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/06/17 09:29 AM

Love my VX6-HD 3-18x44, no issues yet, fingers crossed. If scoping a rifle today...google search Leica ER5 4-20x50, Europtic has them half off for some reason. Only been able to find it through a google search.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/06/17 09:34 AM

Originally Posted By: ChrisAU
Love my VX6-HD 3-18x44, no issues yet, fingers crossed. If scoping a rifle today...google search Leica ER5 4-20x50, Europtic has them half off for some reason. Only been able to find it through a google search.

Probably because they are closing.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/06/17 09:56 AM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Originally Posted By: ChrisAU

Probably because they are closing.

Who is closing? EuroOptic or Leica scopes?
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/06/17 10:04 AM

Leica isn’t closing, rumor that they’ve discontinued the ER5 series but the message hasn’t gotten out everywhere and only a handful are half off on Europtic.

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/06/17 10:35 AM

Originally Posted By: khunter
What types of failures and were they across all series? No brand preferences, the Leupold just fit what I was looking for to put on a new rifle.

Just a higher rate of failure across the board the last few years than previously.
Posted By: RikkiV

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/06/17 01:31 PM

I have a vx5 and so far it has been great. Tracked perfectly when sighting in and very clear glass

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/11/17 10:48 AM

I just grabbed a 4-12x50 from euro optic at that half off price. Why not at that level of discount
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/11/17 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: James
Looked through a Vx5 last week it was nice, but i grabbed a Vxr 4-12×50 And a Nikon black 1,000 instead...

How do you like that Nikon black 1000?

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/11/17 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: RikkiV
I have a vx5 and so far it has been great. Tracked perfectly when sighting in and very clear glass

What does that mean to you that it tracked perfectly? How did you test it? I'm not at all saying that they won't adjust or serve as a hunting scope but I've never seen one that would track perfectly.

I mean did you shoot a measured grid or did you just shoot a group and guess how far it was from the center and then guess how many clicks you needed, and you saw that it moved about where you thought and then adjusted a little more? I'm really not knocking you if that's what you are talking about tracking perfectly because that's what nearly everyone does and nearly what everyone means when they say that their scope tracks perfectly,and that's why scope manufacturers get away with producing scopes that really don't track perfectly.

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/11/17 09:33 PM

You ever done a box test RH Clark? I have with my vx6's. Worked and tracked just fine
Posted By: RikkiV

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/11/17 10:37 PM

Shot twice on a grid. Both shots hit same spot. Adjusted scope, shot twice with the bullets now hitting where I adjusted the scope to. Those two shots were dead center so I adjusted scope to hit high. Shot twice and both bullets hit accordingly. Maybe tracking isn’t the technical term but it did real good getting my bullet to hit where I wanted

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/12/17 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
You ever done a box test RH Clark? I have with my vx6's. Worked and tracked just fine

Yea,I've done the box test. I'm glad your Leupold tracks perfectly. Be happy because it's a rare one.

My Leupolds would adjust but not track perfectly.

Unless you are shooting a precisely measured grid a box test is only telling you that you have repeatable adjustments,not how accurate those adjustments are. Even then the margin of error can be combined with shooter error and won't give you an accurate test. The only way to really measure adjustments is with a chart when the scope is held in a vice. Leupolds typically fail miserably.
Posted By: James

Re: Leupold VX5HDor 6HD opinions - 11/12/17 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: BamaGrad85
Originally Posted By: James

How do you like that Nikon black 1000?
I like it, it's a no frills nothing fancy scope, but the glass is clear and the illuminated reticle is nice. I was just in there to pick-up the Vxr but they just got a few Nikons back in stock so i snagged one.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM