Aldeer.com

Favorite hunting rifle sling?

Posted By: AU7MM08

Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/09/17 05:53 PM

I've never actually purchased a hunting rifle sling directly, they've come on used guns I've purchased.
This sling will be going on a Howa 1500 in 6.5Creedmoor.

Anyone have any experience with these?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101688546/quake-claw-contour-sling-with-swivels-nylon
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/09/17 05:59 PM

For hunting its hard to beat a Butler Creek Alaskan.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/09/17 06:00 PM

I use Browning X-Cellerator slings on all of my rifles and shotguns. They're comfortable, offer one hand adjustment, rides on my shoulder like it should, and the easy adjustment makes it easy to use for shooting.

I won't hunt without one.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/09/17 07:25 PM

I got a neoprene sling. I didn't think it would hold up but it has. I like it cause there's a little give in it. Like your rifle has a shock absorber when it's over your shoulder.
Posted By: bambam32

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/09/17 07:39 PM

I had the Quake Claw on my old Benelli. It was an good sling. I sold the gun and the sling is still in my closet. I did like the nylon swivels. Now I use the Viking Tactical sling. I like being able to carry my rifle across my chest. It's a better sling for walking in the woods in my opinion.
Posted By: Powpow65

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/09/17 08:06 PM

I started using the one hand adjustable last year and it's the best I have found so far
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/09/17 08:28 PM

Safari Sling. Keeps my weapon in front of me at all times. I have 'em for every rifle or swap to them when I go to the woods.
Posted By: Reno

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/09/17 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Powpow65
I started using the one hand adjustable last year and it's the best I have found so far

I think that's what I have... My favorite sling. I have several of them
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/09/17 09:43 PM

I bought a ML from Atoler a year or so ago and it came with a Claw sling. This was the first one I've owned, and it's now my favorite. I love that it doesn't slip at all. Anytime in the future that I've got to buy a sling it'll be a Claw.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/09/17 10:01 PM

This is my favorite.

http://www.sloganoutdoors.com/products.html
Posted By: ColeT

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/09/17 10:31 PM

That's pretty much the exact one I have on my 257. Don't get any of those fabric ones with the sticky material. They r junk.
Posted By: deerfeeder89

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/09/17 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Claims Rep.
I bought a ML from Atoler a year or so ago and it came with a Claw sling. This was the first one I've owned, and it's now my favorite. I love that it doesn't slip at all. Anytime in the future that I've got to buy a sling it'll be a Claw.

I bought my first claw sling of anger, I was climbing down from a ladder stand after getting caught in the rain earlier my sling was wet and my gun spun around and smacked the crap out the ladder, put a good I'm scratch down the barrel. I went looking for a sling that wouldn't slide around and bought a claw now I have one on every rifle. It's comfortable and stays on my shoulder wet or dry,don't try and slide around or off my shoulder when I walk
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/10/17 05:25 AM

Vero Vellini Air Cushion or Butler Creek Alaskan, both are neoprene, both are great, prefer the vero vellini by a small margin. Have a couple Claws also, their good but don't stretch like the neoprene's do.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/10/17 06:25 AM

Most all my rifles have "The Claw" on them. I like them because of the no slip and comfort of them
Posted By: modoc_333

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/10/17 09:04 AM

i still use the old school M1907 style leather sling.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/10/17 09:04 AM

on my regular hunting rifles I like a claw or butler creek. on my little short treestand/woods gun i prefer a magpul MS1 sling
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/10/17 09:57 AM

Originally Posted By: riflenut
Vero Vellini Air Cushion

thumbup Fine sling.

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/10/17 09:57 AM

I've used the Claw but I like the Sloganoutdoors better. It holds better than the Claw. You could even split it and wear it like backpack straps when dragging a deer or doing anything where you absolutely don't want your rifle coming off.
Posted By: XVIII

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/10/17 10:03 AM

As mentioned already combos of the butler creek neoprene and the claw.

My fav tho is a much older hand crafted leather one that belonged to my father with some 'deer artwork' on it that's on an old remmy 742 carbine. The leather is very supple and well-handled and has prob been carried for nearly 50yrs.
Posted By: chris4wde2

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/10/17 11:39 AM

I have butler creek slings on everything and love them. 2 things mandatory on my rifles (besides a good scope and rings) is a butler creek sling and a cartridge holder on the buttstock. Just preference
Posted By: 59Hunter

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/11/17 01:28 AM

Montana Sling Company bridle leather slings for guns I won't be hiking all day with. Much better to me for gaining stability for off-hand shots. Butler Creek for turkey gun and have a couple for rifles to use when I'm doing serious walking and will have a stand or tripod to steady aim.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/11/17 05:22 AM

My biggest issue with a lot of the slings I see is the use of plastic for the hardware. Plastic can break and it will happen at the worst possible time. I won't use a sling with plastic parts. I have been using a couple of old Uncle Mike's padded slings for over 30 years most of the time and like them. I finally found a neoprene sling with metal hardware made by Allen this year and will see if I like it. For my "pretty" guns I like to use a Brownells Latigo sling. It's essentially a leather super sling type sling and it looks good, even though it will slip on your shoulder a little.

I usually carry a rifle in my hands when walking to my stand and use a pull up rope in my treestands. I also like to take the sling off when I'm in a shooting house and like the quick detach swivels. I don't like the newer style swivels I see on a lot of the slings like the Claw.

R. H. - that sling you posted looks like a good one except in the pictures on their site it looks like the buckle is plastic. Is this correct?
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/11/17 06:57 AM

I like the butler creek slings, comfortable and durable.

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/11/17 08:00 AM

Originally Posted By: AU338MAG
My biggest issue with a lot of the slings I see is the use of plastic for the hardware. Plastic can break and it will happen at the worst possible time. I won't use a sling with plastic parts. I have been using a couple of old Uncle Mike's padded slings for over 30 years most of the time and like them. I finally found a neoprene sling with metal hardware made by Allen this year and will see if I like it. For my "pretty" guns I like to use a Brownells Latigo sling. It's essentially a leather super sling type sling and it looks good, even though it will slip on your shoulder a little.

I usually carry a rifle in my hands when walking to my stand and use a pull up rope in my treestands. I also like to take the sling off when I'm in a shooting house and like the quick detach swivels. I don't like the newer style swivels I see on a lot of the slings like the Claw.

R. H. - that sling you posted looks like a good one except in the pictures on their site it looks like the buckle is plastic. Is this correct?

Yes,but you wouldn't want a metal piece there digging into your stock.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/11/17 01:17 PM

I use Butler Creek. I like the grip when it is on your shoulder and the neoprene rides better than leather.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/11/17 01:49 PM

I am a carry my rifle in my hands kinda guy or better on a pack, scabbard on a horse, etc. if I am out west. I don't care which kind as long as I can adjust it quickly on the fly. I take all the slack out of it when I get in a shooting house or up a tree hanging on a hook so it isn't dangling or hanging loose.. A lot of times I don't mess with a rope to pull up my gear I just adjust sling so it will go around bandoliero style and climb up the ladder or sticks. When I get up there I take the slack out so I don't have a sling dangling.

Posted By: jmudler

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/12/17 12:32 PM

I have two claws and a redhead. The claw on the xbow is mandatory.
Posted By: rst87

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/12/17 02:17 PM

I have a couple of the butler creek that will hold 4 rifle cartridges I like them a lot. I also have an adjustable browning sling. It's not as "comfortable " but I like being able to adjust the slack when not carrying it. So you won't hang it on stuff
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/12/17 02:23 PM

I like to take my sling off on stand; so something with quick release swivels like the Outdoor Connection Super Sling works for me.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/12/17 05:02 PM

Standard 1" nylon strap works for me.
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/13/17 02:59 PM

Got several Claws. They work as advertised

Wiley made a good point on the safari sling to keep the rifle out front

But my favorite? Handmade thumbhole sling
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/13/17 03:27 PM

I like the Claw slings the best of the ones I have tried.

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/13/17 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Avengedsevenfold
Got several Claws. They work as advertised

Wiley made a good point on the safari sling to keep the rifle out front

But my favorite? Handmade thumbhole sling

Why do you want a thumbhole on a sling?
Posted By: JDawg

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/23/17 12:48 PM

I've tried several and they all seem to slide off of me being a thick fella!! I just bought a gungee sling and I think I finally found a sling I will like!! Y'all check them out!! Biggest thing, they made here in north Alabama!!!
Posted By: Karl9

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/28/17 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
Safari Sling. Keeps my weapon in front of me at all times. I have 'em for every rifle or swap to them when I go to the woods.

I picked one of these up on your recommendation and I like it. It is really nice on the heavy barreled rifles and like you said the gun is at the ready. It is comfortable with a backpack as well.

Thank You!
Posted By: TreeBender

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/29/17 07:48 AM

the claw sling hands down... it may eventually slip off your shoulder but its gonna take your shirt with it
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/29/17 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: wew3006
I like to take my sling off on stand; so something with quick release swivels like the Outdoor Connection Super Sling works for me.

The OC Super Sling is my go-to. I never take mine off my rifle, so our reasons are different.

I just like the fact that it's simple, and quiet.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/29/17 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: hunterbuck
Originally Posted By: wew3006

The OC Super Sling is my go-to. I never take mine off my rifle, so our reasons are different.

I just like the fact that it's simple, and quiet.

I have a couple of Brownells latigo slings. Its basically a leather version of a super sling. No plastic to break.
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/29/17 08:14 PM

THE CLAW!
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 09/30/17 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Karl9
Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote

I picked one of these up on your recommendation and I like it. It is really nice on the heavy barreled rifles and like you said the gun is at the ready. It is comfortable with a backpack as well.

Thank You!

You're welcome! I remember recommending to someone on here and told them that I'd buy it from them at their cost, including shipping, if they didn't like it. But then, I've recommended them to everybody looking for a sling.
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 10/02/17 08:19 PM

Vero velleni
Posted By: bbrown2933

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 10/14/17 10:50 PM

I'm taking your word for it, R.H. Clark, cause I just ordered one. I watched the demo video and it's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Posted By: willdo22

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 10/14/17 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: TreeBender
the claw sling hands down... it may eventually slip off your shoulder but its gonna take your shirt with it
Posted By: mossyhorns25

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 10/29/17 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark

Def wanna get one of these. Did you go with the polymer brute swivels or the steel locking QD swivels? Also is the strap black or gray? Appears gray on their site but listings on ebay say its black.
Posted By: Snowman257wby

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 10/29/17 02:21 PM

Claw
Posted By: JDawg

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 11/03/17 03:28 PM

Gungeesling
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: Favorite hunting rifle sling? - 11/03/17 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: mauvilla
Vero velleni

This.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM