Aldeer.com

AR FTF with Silencer?

Posted By: PanolaProductions

AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/25/17 02:09 PM

What would cause the gun to click and dent primers? 300 Blackout AR 8.5" barrel with silencerco omega can shooting 220 gr subsonic hornady's.
Posted By: James

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/25/17 02:35 PM

Slamming the bolt, it's normal. Whats this click you speak of?
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/25/17 02:41 PM

First thing to check is headspace. Then check firing pin protrusion.

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/25/17 02:44 PM

Squeeze the trigger to fire and click. Doesn't fire. Pull bullet out and the primer is dented from firing pin.

What do you mean headspace and how do you check it? How do you check firing pin protrusion?

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/25/17 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: PanolaProductions
Squeeze the trigger to fire and click. Doesn't fire. Pull bullet out and the primer is dented from firing pin.

What do you mean headspace and how do you check it? How do you check firing pin protrusion?
Well disregard what I posted then
Posted By: KHOOKS

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/25/17 03:02 PM

bad ammo? have u tried others?

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/25/17 04:46 PM

If you don't know what that means, then I would take it to a gunsmith to check. Not being condescending or a dick. Do you use that bolt carrier group in another upper and it work normally?
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/25/17 04:51 PM

How big a dent? sounds like a light primer strike maybe your hammer spring is the culprit or installed backwards.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/25/17 08:01 PM

Well, I jumped in here and replied before reading ALL of the previous replies. I have nothing more to add ... carry on grin

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/26/17 09:43 AM

Originally Posted By: KHOOKS
bad ammo? have u tried others?

Ive not really tried anything else. Seemed to be high quality ammo but who knows.

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/26/17 09:44 AM

Originally Posted By: odocoileus
If you don't know what that means, then I would take it to a gunsmith to check. Not being condescending or a dick. Do you use that bolt carrier group in another upper and it work normally?

I would like to find a good gunsmith around here that could check it out. I don't use the bcg in any other gun. I never had this issue before I added the silencer though.

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/26/17 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Goatkiller
How big a dent? sounds like a light primer strike maybe your hammer spring is the culprit or installed backwards.

I believe it is a light primer strike. Seems to be anyway.

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/26/17 09:49 AM

Take the hammer spring out and verify that it is installed correctly. They are really easy to get backwords and them still work, but be light. Adding a can won't effect it, but maybe switching to another ammo with a different primer caused it to show up.

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/26/17 10:17 AM

Originally Posted By: PanolaProductions
Originally Posted By: odocoileus

I would like to find a good gunsmith around here that could check it out. I don't use the bcg in any other gun. I never had this issue before I added the silencer though.
Never an issue before adding the silencer hmmm. Have u checked to see if the bolt is closing all the way? Will the gun fire with suppressor removed? Have you broke it down & cleaned it since you have been shooting it suppressed?
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/26/17 03:47 PM

If the silencer is causing a ftf, as in fail to fire, you have problems. Big problems.

That would be like you car engine shuting off when you adjust the rearview mirror.
Posted By: Bait57

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/26/17 05:33 PM

Sounds like firing pin or spring. Try different ammo. And headspacing could be an issue as well. Is it reloads of factory ammo

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/27/17 08:33 AM

Alright I took it apart last night and found a couple things. 1-The hammer spring is installed correctly. 2- There was a lot of what looked like to me, grains of gun powder inside the lower assembly where the trigger mechanism and all is. Definitely didn't look normal. I wiped it all down and cleaned it out as best I could.

The ammo was made by Silencerco and is called 'Harvester'. I was mistaken about the grain, as it is 208 grain Hornady A-Max. I'm pretty sure I didn't shoot it before I added the silencer because I didn't want to waste any rounds of subs. I haven't shot it since cleaning, but I'm guessing from your responses it could just be an ammo issue. Also makes me wonder a little more considering I don't think they are making this ammo anymore.

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/27/17 09:50 AM

It could be ammo. But I'd get headspace checked out. Did you buy then gun new or second hand? Is it a factory gun or a home built? I think something else is going on.

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/27/17 10:48 AM

I built it. Did a lot of research on what I was doing, but haven't ever built one before. PSA complete upper and I put the lower together with parts kit. All new parts.

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/27/17 11:01 AM

Did the upper come with the bolt carrier group? Sorry to ask so many questions just trying to eliminate problems. I've bought a ton of stuff from them and never had an issue.

At the risk of being repetitive, double, triple, and quadruple check that the hammer spring is correct. Use multiple sources to confirm it. It is very easy to mess up.

After that, I'd call PSA and talk to them about it. If the BCG and upper came together I think a bad one slipped through their QC. Factory ammo should fire in these guns regardless of primers.

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/27/17 11:54 AM

Interesting. Yes the bcg came with it. I will check the hammer spring again. Ive shot close to 50 rounds or so of this ammo through it and its happened probably 5 or 6 times so far
Posted By: SkipJack

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/28/17 07:47 PM

Will it shoot fine with supers and no can?

Will it shoot fine with subs and no can?

Does it shoot a couple rounds then "click" with the can attached?

Running a H2 buffer?

What gas block?

We need more info...

The "light primer strike" is when you chamber a round and the floating pin design of a AR actually hits the primer when the bolt is closed. This is normal.

Unburnt power in the lower is because of running suppressed and sometimes low quality powder.

Do not take this the wrong way but PSA is known to have out of spec parts so this could become a wild goose chase...

Getting a 300 to run on a 8.5" suppressed with subs reliably isn't as easy as everyone thinks.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: AR FTF with Silencer? - 07/28/17 08:36 PM

I pulled one of my ARs out of the safe last year that had not been fired in 20 years and it did the same thing. It would dent the primer and not fire. I gave it a good cleaning and lubed "dripping wet" the bolt and firing pin. It has worked great since then.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM