Aldeer.com

Paint or Wrap?

Posted By: GomerPyle

Paint or Wrap? - 05/02/17 03:47 PM

cleaning up a shotgun that had quite a bit of surface rust on the barrel and mag tube, but nothing major and doesn't appear to be pitted.

going to rub it down thoroughly with 0000 steel wool and oil to get the rest of the surface rust off, then I need to refinish it. I've about narrowed it down to either doing a DIY camo paint job or possibly a wrap if I can find one to fit it.

My question is, which will be more effective in preventing surface rust in the future? I've heard mixed opinions on the wraps, with some saying moisture can get trapped underneath....

Thoughs?
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Paint or Wrap? - 05/02/17 03:50 PM

the alumahyde paint from brownells is supposedly the cats meow
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Paint or Wrap? - 05/02/17 09:05 PM

If I were going to keep it I would have it cerakoted
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Paint or Wrap? - 05/02/17 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: 300gr
Posted By: Bamaturkeykilla

Re: Paint or Wrap? - 05/02/17 10:22 PM

Agree with this. Had one done a few years ago in the titanium color and love it. Probably gonna get more done when they starting getting some wear on them.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Paint or Wrap? - 05/03/17 01:06 PM

how much would you expect to pay to have one cerakoted? no fancy designs or anything, just a basic cerakote paint job...
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Paint or Wrap? - 05/03/17 06:26 PM

PM Gundoc, he does it and he's right there by you.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Paint or Wrap? - 05/03/17 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Reaper
PM Gundoc, he does it and he's right there by you.

If you want it done right, this is the way to go. Plus it will be a nice gift to the guns owner when you give it back. smile
Posted By: jdhunter2011

Re: Paint or Wrap? - 05/19/17 01:39 PM

x2 I had my old .870 done
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Paint or Wrap? - 05/19/17 04:51 PM

I did my mossberg 500 in a mossyoak wrap and I love it. Gonna wrap my other gun over the summer.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Paint or Wrap? - 05/19/17 04:57 PM

Fixing to rattlecan a Ruger American .308.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Paint or Wrap? - 05/21/17 08:34 AM

I don't know Gomer. I've seen some pretty nice rattle can camp jobs on duck guns over the years that seem to last a long time and do as good a job repelling the elements as a factory finish. I've never had the cajones to spray rustoleum on one of my guns, but have thought about it.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Paint or Wrap? - 05/21/17 08:44 PM

My 870 is spray painted/cleared and doesn't have a bit of rust on it from hard field use. Touch ups are easy if needed.

I had a wrap on a shotgun years ago and it rusted where the wrap met the vent rib. Moisture would get on the edges of the wrap.

I prefer spray paint. The cerakote is nice too.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM