Aldeer.com

Steyr scope mounting?

Posted By: AU7MM08

Steyr scope mounting? - 04/30/17 01:26 PM

What is the preferred scope mounting hardware for Steyrs.

I'm mounting a Steiner 3-15X50 on a Steyr in 280Rem.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Steyr scope mounting? - 04/30/17 01:34 PM

Man,I don't know what's available,but since it isn't an ultralight rig where every ounce counts,I would try to find a picatinny rail I could use.Getting the rail and rings is a bit more of an investment but it will enable you to get perfect ER with just about any scope you would want.

Here you go.
https://steyrarms.com/accessories/picatinny-rails.html

Re: Steyr scope mounting? - 04/30/17 01:46 PM

That's kind of the route I was thinking.
Talley makes a pic rail but they also make rings for the Steyr.

Re: Steyr scope mounting? - 04/30/17 03:51 PM

Rings might work fine,but after years of having to try and match scope tube length and eye relief to rifle action length and LOP,I've decided I will use a rail on any rifle that has one made for it unless I am scoping an ultralight,in which case I'll use Talley Lightweights.

I'm probably going to buy a $200 NEAR MFG rail for my Sako 75 Finnlight later this year. I have my 2 main rifles lighter than the Finnlight which was light at the time but not so much now at about 6-3/4 lbs.
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: Steyr scope mounting? - 04/30/17 04:55 PM

You will probably need High scope rings to keep the bolt handle from dragging on the eye bell portion of the scope when you operate the bolt. Otherwise you will scrap up the scope.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Steyr scope mounting? - 05/01/17 08:33 AM

I think I have 2 piece Abolt bases and Leupold Rings on mine. Works just fine.

smile
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Steyr scope mounting? - 05/01/17 08:51 AM

I use zipties.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Steyr scope mounting? - 05/01/17 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Fun4all
You will probably need High scope rings to keep the bolt handle from dragging on the eye bell portion of the scope when you operate the bolt. Otherwise you will scrap up the scope.

I have medium height rings on all of my Steyrs, all with 56mm objective scopes with 30mm tubes. Zero problems with clearance on either end.

Re: Steyr scope mounting? - 05/01/17 10:34 AM

Originally Posted By: hunterbuck
Originally Posted By: Fun4all

I have medium height rings on all of my Steyrs, all with 56mm objective scopes with 30mm tubes. Zero problems with clearance on either end.

I've never owned a Steyr. I've always heard stories about the bolt handle needing higher rings than on other rifles. I have however handled several Steyr rifles with 40mm objective scopes mounted just off the barrel and the bolt cleared just fine.

Re: Steyr scope mounting? - 05/01/17 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: odocoileus
I use zipties.

Plumbing strap and self-tapping screws into the stock is what I was considering.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Steyr scope mounting? - 05/03/17 09:03 AM

I'd go with Talley or Warne mounts. Never have had an issue with either.

Re: Steyr scope mounting? - 05/03/17 10:15 AM

Just be careful not to over tighten rings on vertical split rings. I've seen more scopes damaged using vertical split rings than any other.
Posted By: Alagator

Re: Steyr scope mounting? - 05/03/17 12:47 PM

If it is a Pro Hunter, what Goatkiller said is correct. If you don't go with the rail, the Prohunter uses the two-piece bases that fit a Browning A-bolt.
Posted By: DaBreeze

Re: Steyr scope mounting? - 05/03/17 01:16 PM

Mash it here
© 2024 ALDEER.COM