Aldeer.com

Installing a Boyds Gun Stock

Posted By: Abram

Installing a Boyds Gun Stock - 03/27/17 07:38 PM

For those of you have installed a Boyds Gun stock, how hard was it? I am thinking of ordering one for my Ruger American Predator and the boyds website recommends bedding the lugs, how hard is that? I really like the looks of the pepper laminate stocks.

Thanks
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Installing a Boyds Gun Stock - 03/27/17 08:32 PM

Put them on 700's and on Axis. Very simple. The 700's went right on, the Axis needed a little trimming in the trigger slot and magazine well. Maybe 5 minutes of work if that.

Did not bed either. Made sure the barrel wasnt touching the stock and torqued the screws.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Installing a Boyds Gun Stock - 03/27/17 08:45 PM

I did a thumbhole on a 10/22 for my son. The magazine don't drop free when the release is pushed but does easily extract. A little sanding with sandpaper would take care of it but he uses it the way it is. Everything else was a perfect fit. You will not go wrong with a Boyd's stock.
Posted By: G1Eagle

Re: Installing a Boyds Gun Stock - 03/27/17 09:37 PM

My buddy has a Boyd's stock for his Ruger American Predator. It may be the pepper laminate you describe. Sounds familiar. It looks really nice. He did have to get his bedded. The magazine would not lock into place when he just mounted the stock using the metal v blocks Ruger provides. Not sure how much expertise it took to bed it so the magazine fit correctly or if any bedding job would have fixed his issue.

It's much nicer to shoot with new stock. Probably around a .75" to 1" MOA gun.
Posted By: Abram

Re: Installing a Boyds Gun Stock - 03/28/17 07:10 AM

Thanks fellas
Posted By: woodswalker

Re: Installing a Boyds Gun Stock - 03/28/17 07:52 AM

Abram, you've seen the Boyd's stock on my Remington 788. It fit well with no modifications. I know you're pretty good working with materials but if you want a gunsmith to do it, I highly recommend Glenn Pencoe at Pops Armory in Jemison. He's done well on a couple of projects I've taken to him.

POPS Armory, 405 County Road 52, Jemison, AL (205) 646-1486
Posted By: ValleyDawg

Re: Installing a Boyds Gun Stock - 03/28/17 08:51 AM

Very easy to do. The last 2 I have done needed no modification, I have seen some that needed a little sanding on the barrel channel. If you want to bed it, it is not too hard. The kit i used was from brownells. They sell a glass bedding kit.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM