Aldeer.com

AR pistol question

Posted By: BamaBart

AR pistol question - 02/25/17 09:30 PM

I have a Anderson upper and lower.
Do I need a special license to build a AR pistol?
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: AR pistol question - 02/25/17 10:13 PM

No you do not, just absolutely do not go putting a stock on it.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: AR pistol question - 02/25/17 10:18 PM

Nope, a pistol is a pistol. Just don't put a stock on it.

Re: AR pistol question - 02/25/17 11:03 PM

Ok
I can put a wrist strap type or a blunt end stock on it.
Is this correct?

Re: AR pistol question - 02/25/17 11:13 PM

Not sure what you mean by a blunt end stock. But, you can put a wrist strap on it, but if you shoulder it, it makes it illegal.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: AR pistol question - 02/25/17 11:32 PM

Get a shock wave blade.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: AR pistol question - 02/25/17 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: extreme heights hunter
Get a shock wave blade.

I like these better than the sig brace.

Just make sure you have a pistol buffer tube.

Literally everyone shoulders them

Re: AR pistol question - 02/26/17 01:43 AM

Here's mine with the shock wave

Re: AR pistol question - 02/26/17 04:20 AM

Is the top one considered a pistol?
If it is, that's what I want!

Re: AR pistol question - 02/26/17 10:01 AM

Yes sir. 11 1/2"
Posted By: bambam32

Re: AR pistol question - 02/26/17 11:18 AM

I've never fired an AR pistol. I would imagine they are extremely LOUD!

Re: AR pistol question - 02/26/17 03:02 PM

Nah it's not too bad
Posted By: gundoc

Re: AR pistol question - 02/26/17 03:38 PM

Nah it's not too bad

Ever shot it left handed. I'm curious how much blow back I'd get in my face

Re: AR pistol question - 02/26/17 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: gundoc
Nah it's not too bad

Ever shot it left handed. I'm curious how much blow back I'd get in my face

No sir
Posted By: dp509

Re: AR pistol question - 03/01/17 07:54 PM

Very Nice.
Which red dot and flip up Sights did you go with?
Barrel length?
How far out can you hit with it?
Thanks

Re: AR pistol question - 03/01/17 08:17 PM

Red dot is primary arms, mbus flip ups, 11 1/2". I haven't shot it much but kilt a few pigs at bout 70 yards. Bought it for close quarters hunting/defense. And it's just cool as hell. Adams upper Anderson lower

Re: AR pistol question - 03/01/17 09:01 PM

One other thing to remember about AR pistols, you can not legally put a vertical foregrip on a pistol.
Posted By: Karl9

Re: AR pistol question - 03/02/17 05:31 AM

I have a couple of questions,

Do you have to register the lower as a pistol?

If the blade touches your shoulder is it an unregistered NFA weapon at that point?

Re: AR pistol question - 03/02/17 09:17 AM

You do not register any gun except NFA items. An AR pistol is not a NFA item.

Under the letter of the law, if you shoulder it, you have created a NFA item. How you would get caught, I have no idea. Unless you did something like post a photo or video on the internet.
Posted By: Karl9

Re: AR pistol question - 03/02/17 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By: doekiller
You do not register any gun except NFA items. An AR pistol is not a NFE item.

Under the letter of the law, if you shoulder it, you have created a NFA item. How you would get caught, I have no idea. Unless you did something like post a photo or video on the internet.

Thank You Doekiller.

Re: AR pistol question - 03/02/17 02:38 PM

also, I keep the atf paperwork pertaining to the stock/blade folded up inside the grip of my ar-pistol. may not be necessary but not every officer knows every law on the books and I don`t want any bullshitt.
Posted By: bamachem

Re: AR pistol question - 03/02/17 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: doekiller
You do not register any gun except NFA items. An AR pistol is not a NFA item.

Just for clarification, not really "under the law", but more of a recent ATF opinion letter that said they would consider any pistol that had a brace placed to the shoulder as using the brace for something outside the approval parameters, and therefore could be viewed as changing the approved pistol with brace to an unregistered SBR.

Under the letter of the law, it is a pistol, plain and simple. Placing it to the shoulder does not magically transform it into a rifle like some might like to think.

Anyway, they "loophole" is when you buy an AR pistol that includes the brace at the time it is purchased. Therefore you do not modify it by attaching the brace after the fact, and it is not intended to be shouldered, according to the manufacturer you bought it from. Therefore, if you misuse the product and have not altered the product, then you have not created a new product through it's misuse.

Simple, right? More like ridiculous.

If I were to take my Buckmark 22 and put it against my shoulder and pull the trigger, it would still be a Buckmark 22 and a pistol.

Common sense will prevail, eventually.

Here's the original ATF letter stating that shouldering a AR pistol, even with a brace, does not mean you have manufactured a NFA item.

http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ss...ATFE-LETTER.jpg

Here's the ATF letter stating that misusing an item might lead you to "create" an entirely new item/class and therefore commit a felony. Now they're saying any previous letters stating otherwise are rescinded. Silly, but true.

https://www.atf.gov/file/11816/download

More on the subject - https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/can-legally-shoulder-sig-arm-brace/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/...might-be-wrong/
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: AR pistol question - 03/03/17 08:47 PM

Kinda sorta off topic but since you folks are commenting on pistols and legality...

I'm almost positive that I've seen shoulder stock kits for Glock pistols, are those legal?

Re: AR pistol question - 03/03/17 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
Kinda sorta off topic but since you folks are commenting on pistols and legality...

I'm almost positive that I've seen shoulder stock kits for Glock pistols, are those legal?

Yeah I've seen those too. I wouldn't get caught with one on my Glock. Possession of the stock isn't illegal attaching it to the pistol is though.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: AR pistol question - 03/03/17 09:33 PM

Yeah I've seen those too. I wouldn't get caught with one on my Glock. Possession of the stock isn't illegal attaching it to the pistol is though.

The ATF also has a thing they call 'constructive intent' that they've used. That's a situation where you have an accessory or parts AND a weapon that they 'could' be installed in/mounted to that would absolutely be illegal if put together.

Re: AR pistol question - 03/03/17 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote

The ATF also has a thing they call 'constructive intent' that they've used. That's a situation where you have an accessory or parts AND a weapon that they 'could' be installed in/mounted to that would absolutely be illegal if put together.

Yeah I've heard of that too ... Like locking your suppressor up in your safe and your wife knows the combo. You leave and she in "constructive possession" of an NFA item not registered to her and she's suddenly a felon
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: AR pistol question - 03/03/17 10:03 PM

Not trying to derail.

Why would you want an AR pistol? Just for cool factor? I'm not saying it wouldn't be a fun toy, and that's fine if that's what you want, but what practical purpose does it have? Advantages over an AR rifle?

I've never shot one, and I believe that the whole pistol vs SBR, etc. is complete bull crap. A person should be able to own whatever version of an AR they want, without restriction. I just don't understand the appeal to the AR pistol. It SEEMS that it wouldn't do anything as good as a rifle and only have a better round (556 vs 9mm or 40) than a regular handgun, yet not handle as well.

Re: AR pistol question - 03/04/17 01:08 AM

I use to think the same way until I held one. Bought it and took it to the woods for pig hunting. Keep in mind, here in true south Alabama, these woods are thick! It's kinda like the difference in toting a 26" bolt action gun to a 24" or 22". It's much easier. Will I shoot long distance, hell no. It's not the only AR I own though.
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: AR pistol question - 03/09/17 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigbamaboy
Not trying to derail.

Why would you want an AR pistol? Just for cool factor? I'm not saying it wouldn't be a fun toy, and that's fine if that's what you want, but what practical purpose does it have? Advantages over an AR rifle?

I've never shot one, and I believe that the whole pistol vs SBR, etc. is complete bull crap. A person should be able to own whatever version of an AR they want, without restriction. I just don't understand the appeal to the AR pistol. It SEEMS that it wouldn't do anything as good as a rifle and only have a better round (556 vs 9mm or 40) than a regular handgun, yet not handle as well.

All goes back to what you intend to do with a AR "pistol". As long as you don't use FB live while you are shooting it....

Feel free to make your own assumptions from there.

It handles like a...AR "pistol".
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: AR pistol question - 03/09/17 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Avengedsevenfold
Originally Posted By: Bigbamaboy
Not trying to derail.

All goes back to what you intend to do with a AR "pistol". As long as you don't use FB live while you are shooting it....

Feel free to make your own assumptions from there.

It handles like a...AR "pistol".

I smell what you're stepping in. wink

Re: AR pistol question - 03/09/17 10:04 PM

I want one to carry in a backpack.

Re: AR pistol question - 03/09/17 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: BamaBart
I want one to carry in a backpack.

You might consider going with a 300blk out as it is optimized for a very short barrel and a side folding adapter for a KAK brace
That sorta setup should get you into backpack size
Posted By: James

Re: AR pistol question - 03/09/17 10:47 PM

I have a Sig 300blk I wanna say my barrel is a 9" or 10 1/2" I'll have to look..

Re: AR pistol question - 03/09/17 10:56 PM

I believe 300blk is optimized for a 9" barrel.
Barnes has a 300 supersonic offering that is supposed to be great.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM