Aldeer.com

I need some opinion…

Posted By: Smann

I need some opinion… - 02/14/17 09:36 AM

I need some opinion... i'm looking to buy a new shotgun. I believe I have it narrowed down to a Benelli Supernova pump that is chambered for 3 1/2 inch shells or a Weatherby SA–08 semi automatic that is chambered for 3 inch. Thoughts?? The Weatherby is about $50 more.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: I need some opinion… - 02/14/17 10:01 AM

I have never shot the Weatherby, but researched them a while back when I was looking for an auto loader. They are built in Turkey and while that isn't necessarily a bad thing, the quality from Turkey is all over the board. Weatherby, probably sells the better stuff, but I don't know.

With the 3.5" Benelli, you could shot any rounds yuo could find in a pinch, if necessary.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: I need some opinion… - 02/14/17 11:28 AM

out of those 2, I would go with the sx3
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: I need some opinion… - 02/14/17 11:38 AM

there a guy that hunts with us, who sold his benelli supernova and bought a mossberg 835. Said he didnt like the benelli. But who knows. just throwing it out there
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: I need some opinion… - 02/14/17 01:32 PM

Your are comparing an apple to an orange.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: I need some opinion… - 02/14/17 04:50 PM

What are you using it for?
Love my Benelli Montefeltro, but never liked the feel of their pumps
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: I need some opinion… - 02/14/17 04:59 PM

I'd go with the weatherby sa-08 COMPACT, you don't need 3.5" shells to kill turkeys, and it is a semi auto. But if it is only for turkeys I'd get the SA-459.
Posted By: XVIII

Re: I need some opinion… - 02/14/17 06:16 PM

Supernova and yes, agreed 3.5" not needed but 3.5 > 3 for turkeys.

The moss 835 and Rem 870 super in similar price range if considering a pump.

A franchi and stoeger shld be in similar weatherby price range if wanting a semi.

Try and handle all and see which feels best.
Posted By: Smann

Re: I need some opinion… - 02/14/17 07:20 PM

So I bought a Beretta A300. Excited about that.

Re: I need some opinion… - 02/14/17 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Smann
So I bought a Beretta A300. Excited about that.

Good choice.
Posted By: modoc_333

Re: I need some opinion… - 02/15/17 02:06 PM

If you need 3.5 for turkey, you need to keep calling them in or set the decoy closer!

I have given them the drop/flop with a 20ga 2 3/4. No problem.
I think we have a tendency to get into overkill territory with huge magnum deer rifles and overkill pistols. Before you know it, we will have everyone telling us we need 4 inch for turkeys.

That being said, you can always shoot shorter shells in that chamber so no problem there.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: I need some opinion… - 02/15/17 03:36 PM

Just seeing this.

Good choice on the A300. I have a 20 ga SA-08 youth for my kids. Great shooter. Would highly recommend to anyone.
Posted By: 300gr

Re: I need some opinion… - 02/15/17 03:39 PM

870 variant or 1187 would be my vote. Don't personally like the feel of Benelli pump s

Re: I need some opinion… - 02/15/17 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: modoc_333
If you need 3.5 for turkey, you need to keep calling them in or set the decoy closer!

I have given them the drop/flop with a 20ga 2 3/4. No problem.
I think we have a tendency to get into overkill territory with huge magnum deer rifles and overkill pistols. Before you know it, we will have everyone telling us we need 4 inch for turkeys.

That being said, you can always shoot shorter shells in that chamber so no problem there.

thumbup First time I patterned a 3.5" Mossberg 835 I had, I didn't like it no more. I finished that season, killed a nice Osceola bird, then decided if I couldn't kill one with a 3" max chambered gun, then I didn't need to kill no more!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM