Aldeer.com

Rifle in the making

Posted By: Reloader79

Rifle in the making - 12/31/16 08:38 PM

Got my savage 110 action cleaned and ready for ceracoating. Ordered my barrel today also. It will be a 308 110 LA with Shilen 26" barrel. The long action will allow bullets to be seated as far as need to be. Scope will be Leupold Mark 4, 4.5-14x50 with 20 moa picatinny base. I have also polished the trigger and action and both are smooth as glass. Still debating on stock , can't wait to get it all together, I'll try and update with pics as project progresses.

Action cleaned and ready for coating

Posted By: johnmcgowan

Re: Rifle in the making - 12/31/16 11:17 PM

thumbup Nice!!!!
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/01/17 07:54 AM

Very nice. Keep the pics coming.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/01/17 08:28 AM

Is it a hunting or target build? What bullets and powder are you thinking of using? And yes, keep the pics coming.

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/01/17 04:45 PM

It will be hunting/target combo, I'll be using 155 and 168 AMax for targets out to 1000, and 150 SST, Ballistic Tips for hunting. Varget, H380 on the powders.
Posted By: James

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/01/17 05:29 PM

Cool, wish I was set up to do that kind of stuff..

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/08/17 10:39 PM

Updates on project, got all parts cerakoted and barrel is installed but I'm waiting on headspace gauges to finalize barrel installation.

Just out of the oven

Barrel installed but not headspaced

Posted By: paulfish4570

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/08/17 10:54 PM

good stuff ...

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/20/17 02:04 PM

Updates, got everything installed only problem is the rings are too tall, I went ahead and ordered a new set of Burris tac lows. Purchased a 112 laminated wood stock from another forum for now. Tuned the trigger to 2lbs, now I'm ready to go try it out. I'll replace the rings when the new ones arrive, also pics with the scope will be later but here's a few in the stock. Pay no attention to the clutter as it's been cleaned since pics

Posted By: Big Al

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/20/17 02:15 PM

Looks great! thumbup
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/20/17 02:34 PM

Looks pretty good and the clutter says you use your space..mine looks the same most of the time

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/20/17 07:23 PM

Pic with the scope and rings, if you never owned any Burris tactical rings they are massive in size. I usually order high rings with 50mm scopes but these are too high but will do for now til the lows arrive. Rifle weighs in at 12.8 lbs, it will be for target and longer range hunting. I won't carry it too far from the ride. Hope it doesn't rain all day tomorrow so I can get some range results.

Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/20/17 07:34 PM

That will be a nice steady long range shooter. I can't wait to see the group pictures. Congrats,you did a fine job.

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/20/17 07:37 PM

Thanks Clark , I hope it does what it suppose to.

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/20/17 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Reloader79
Thanks Clark , I hope it does what it suppose to.

How meticulous are you in a build like that? Did you bed the stock with pillars? Did you bed the rail?

Lap the rings? I've been using rubber cement on my rings since John Barsness said that's what he does to keep from lapping them.

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/20/17 07:53 PM

Stock was already bedding I did a slight fill in to tighten the action and the lug up. It all fits very tight. I'm planning on purchasing a choate ultimate sniper to put on it which is a v block design. I also lapped the locking lugs with lapping compound. I basically did everything I was capable of doing without a lathe to square the bolt and action.
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/20/17 09:53 PM

Look at the Stockys tactical stocks much better than the choate

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/21/17 04:02 PM

After helping out neighbors after the tornado I was able to get a little range time in here are the first results at 100. The first number is group and the second number is number of rounds. All were 168 gr AMax over 46grs of Varget. I am really impressed with this combo so far as some groups were on the .1's and .2's. And it is not even broken in good. Cleaned after each shot 1-5 and then after ever 5, per Shilen break in procedure.

First target

2nd target I decided to try a 5 shot group of 150 nosler ballistic tips, they weren't as tight as the AMaxes but were not even loaded to the barrel, still not bad though

Posted By: BOFF

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/21/17 04:08 PM

VERY NICE!!

Looks like a shooter!

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/21/17 04:50 PM

That looks like a lot of fun.

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/21/17 04:51 PM

After helping out neighbors after the tornado I was able to get a little range time in here are the first results at 100. The first number is group and the second number is number of rounds. All were 168 gr AMax over 46grs of Varget. I am really impressed with this combo so far as some groups were on the .1's and .2's. And it is not even broken in good. Cleaned after each shot 1-5 and then after ever 5, per Shilen break in procedure.

First target

2nd target I decided to try a 5 shot group of 150 nosler ballistic tips, they weren't as tight as the AMaxes but were not even loaded to the barrel, still not bad though

You should be very happy with that. Tell me exactly how you measure groups. I've never measured any of mine except to put a ruler on them from edge to edge.
Posted By: willdo22

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/21/17 05:48 PM

Nice!

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/21/17 06:00 PM

Clark, I measure with digital calipers to the outside of the group, then subtract the diameter of the bullet to get center to center of group. I try to get the edges as close as possible and not do any cheating to make it look better. If you measure outside of holes you are not getting the true center impact of the bullets, that's why you subtract the diameter.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/21/17 06:55 PM

That group no# 6 woulda won the pot last month at brocks gap!
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/21/17 07:25 PM

Fine rifle! One day I will have a long action .308.

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/21/17 07:29 PM

That sir is a shooter!

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/21/17 09:40 PM

Gundoc one day I might make it to Brock's gap, just to experience and enjoy.

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/22/17 12:43 PM

Gundoc one day I might make it to Brock's gap, just to experience and enjoy.

Come shoot in Linden AL good group of guys here are the dates for this year

Reese Bottom Range

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/22/17 02:49 PM

1bamashooter how far does the bench rest go out too? I thinks I answered my question says 600.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/22/17 05:23 PM

Bamashooter, the link just takes me to a blank page. I googled it too, but get the same thing.

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/22/17 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny
Bamashooter, the link just takes me to a blank page. I googled it too, but get the same thing.

I don't know why it takes you to a blank page works fine for me. Copy this link and paste it to your address bar.

http://www.reesebottom.com

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/22/17 07:50 PM

1bamashooter how far does the bench rest go out too? I thinks I answered my question says 600.

Yes 600 most matches we shoot out to 5 tho here is a pic from the benches. Not a very good pic but you can see the set up. Wynne is an awesome guy new shooters are welcome to come shoot on match day

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/22/17 08:00 PM

Do you just show up, or do you have to join to shoot? Give me some details.

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/23/17 12:49 AM

Do you just show up, or do you have to join to shoot? Give me some details.

Email Wynne Echols he is the owner and match director

ww.echols@yahoo.com
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/23/17 09:34 AM

First - Nice shooting. And nice build.

Did it only take you about a week to get the Shilen for it and did it come threaded and chambered? I'm am about to order a couple new barrels.

BTW - Squaring the bolt and action is about a waste of time on a Savage because they have a floating bolt head. If you were serious competition you could maybe do some timing and a little work, but for anything short of that you don't need it as evidenced by the groups in this post. That's why i build on a Savage, to save money or machining, easy barrel changes, etc. It has it's advantages. Not in love with Savage myself but pretty cost effective to have a stack of barrels as big as a school bus in lieu of a stack of custom rifles. I don't like being married if even not permanently to one caliber and you can swap on a Savage like changing underwear after you've done it a few times.

Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/23/17 10:18 AM

Always remember return to zero wink

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/23/17 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: 87dixieboy
Always remember return to zero wink

When you move to the next revolution in a match and you don't return to zero it's hard to see your hits when they are 6ft over the target ymmv

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/23/17 11:59 AM

Goat killer, I ordered that barrel from midway, they had it in stock. I've only put about 25 down it so far and probably gonna do some more today.

Re: Rifle in the making - 01/24/17 08:17 PM

Finished with low rings installed, I'm gone shoot some more now.

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/12/17 06:47 PM

Updating the savage build, this rifle shoots, but I'm wanting to step it up to the next level, so I'm going to have it rechambered to a 300wsm to shoot the heavier 225gr ELD match bullets. Also I will use it to hunt with on some of the longer shots I may encounter. Planning on shooting either the 200 gr sierra or the 212gr Eld x.

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/13/17 05:36 AM

What all is involved in the rechamber? I assume you'll replace the bolt head? What about the magazine?

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/13/17 01:40 PM

Replace the bolt head, and I'm getting the chamber reamed to the wsm, magazine should be fine. That should be it, I will probly be one of few that has a long action 300wsm savage 110.

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/13/17 02:12 PM

Hmmm, so no work to the feed rails to get those fat cases to feed?

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/13/17 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: riflenut

I talked to a gunsmith and he said possibly may have to but not sure, he said it wasn't a big deal if he had to.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/13/17 04:33 PM

What would the advantage of a long action 300WSM vs 300 Win Mag be?
I've always understood it is best to scale caliber to action length.

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/13/17 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: riflenut

I talked to a gunsmith and he said possibly may have to but not sure, he said it wasn't a big deal if he had to.

Good deal. With long action, you should be able to stick those long pills way out there assuming it's not short throated. You already know you have a good tube so she ought to shoot.

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/14/17 08:10 AM

Originally Posted By: AU7MM08

seating depth will be longer with less pressure, more powder, etc

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/16/17 09:15 AM

You really don't know much about customizing guns do you, as 87db said above, you can seat heavy long bullets out to touch the lands. Less case to bullet contact equals less pressure, more powder, more velocity and better accuracy.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/17/17 07:49 PM

You really don't know much about customizing guns do you, as 87db said above, you can seat heavy long bullets out to touch the lands. Less case to bullet contact equals less pressure, more powder, more velocity and better accuracy.

This plus with a savage you can technically make a switch barrel rifle relatively cheap and not be constrained to action length. Plus there is not really that much difference in a short action vs a long action in terms of weight or length. ... that is unless you are RH Clark grin

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/17/17 08:57 PM

Three 3 shot groups I shot today at 100. Load was 168 Amax over 46gr Varget, not to shabby for damn ole savage. Two lower groups are 150 nosler ballistic tips that I'll use for hunting.

And here two 3 shot groups with 150 nosler ballistic tips.

As you can see above I was 1/4" left, made a 1 click adjustment and should be good on the ballistic tips.
Posted By: paulfish4570

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/17/17 09:30 PM

that'll do ...
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/18/17 05:26 AM

Three 3 shot groups I shot today at 100. Load was 168 Amax over 46gr Varget, not to shabby for damn ole savage. Two lower groups are 150 nosler ballistic tips that I'll use for hunting.

And here two 3 shot groups with 150 nosler ballistic tips.

As you can see above I was 1/4" left, made a 1 click adjustment and should be good on the ballistic tips.

No need to switch to the Ballistic Tips for hunting. Just use the AMAX bullets and you will not be disappointed. Better than BT's, especially at longer range.

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/22/17 10:42 PM

More updates, bought a new scope over tre weekend. Nikon black x1000 6-24x50, illuminated moa, scope is very clear and on par with the mark 4 I had in it. I like the reticle better though.

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/23/17 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By: joshm28

This plus with a savage you can technically make a switch barrel rifle relatively cheap and not be constrained to action length. Plus there is not really that much difference in a short action vs a long action in terms of weight or length. ... that is unless you are RH Clark grin

Hey now,I resemble that remark! Yea,I like light rifles when walking around and for most general hunting. On a long range rifle like this though weight just isn't a concern at all,mostly cause I ain't going to be toting that SOB up and down the hills and hollers in Bankhead.

For all you guys who can drive your wheelers to your stand and think you are deer snipers,more power to ya!

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/23/17 11:22 AM

I'll drive my golf cart up to the stand when im deer sniping but when that happens its typically further than a 50 yard shot laugh

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/23/17 06:00 PM

I consider deer sniping to be anything greater than 300 yards.

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/23/17 08:39 PM

I just like to say deer sniping

Re: Rifle in the making - 08/23/17 10:00 PM

Ya'll funny. Like I said,more power to ya. I like eating them and I don't care if I shoot one from 10 yards or 300.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM