Aldeer.com

Handgun question

Posted By: EarlPitts

Handgun question - 02/09/16 09:18 AM

Looking to get my college age son a handgun to keep with him while in college any suggestions on a gun

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 09:21 AM

Killed a few.
Do you think the church wants the mobile home
Posted By: burbank

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 09:31 AM

smile
Originally Posted By: EarlPitts
Killed a few.
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 09:34 AM

A revolver, just pick a caliber.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 10:11 AM

unless he's very experienced with handguns,and I assume he isn't since he doesn't own one, get him a Smith & Wesson 38 Airweight. You can't get any simpler,no safety to forget about and no learning how to quickly clear a jam. It's safe with the long double action trigger and small enough for him to carry. The addition of a lazer grip would be very nice.

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: burbank
smile
Originally Posted By: EarlPitts
Killed a few.
LOL I wondered where that went. A friend had asked me if I had killed any rabbits. I'm selling his church a home for a needy person. Sorry was suppose to be a text message lol
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 11:13 AM

642 S&W
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 11:25 AM

LC9s
Posted By: jonlee126

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 12:42 PM

M&p shields are great concealed carry guns. Especially with a Celtic holster. It has a safety but with a little practice it will become second nature to knock it off when drawn. I have a Springfield xdm which doesn't have a manual safety but rather a grip and trigger safety. Most if not all Springfield XD series have these safeties. Is he going to UA?

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 02:44 PM

Shelton right now
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 02:50 PM

I would never start a newbie with a semi auto. Too many small things can go wrong and probably at the worst time.

642 S&W

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 03:18 PM

When does he start college Earl? If it is next fall he should have plenty of time to aclimate and be comfy carrying anything. Keeping in the truck is one thing, carrying at all times is another.

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
I would never start a newbie with a semi auto. Too many small things can go wrong and probably at the worst time.

642 S&W

I'm sure you're more experienced than I on this subject. At what point in a persons concealed carry career should the consider carrying a a semi auto?
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 04:28 PM

I do agree with Wiley but I don't think it takes a tremendous amount of time to become proficient with a semi-auto. There are significantly more errors that can occur with feeding, ejection, etc., but all those can be explained and taught on the range. If you go the semi-auto route, I would advise some significant range time with the ammo that you plan to carry. If it does have feeding or ejection issues, you'd rather discover that on the range instead of when it's needed for defense. Also explain to him why it's not a good idea to change ammo without test firing some on the range.
Posted By: Thorm465

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 04:52 PM

First off 9mm or 45acp. Keep it common and simple for him to buy carrying and target ammo. Any smaller than a 9mm in a pistol you might as well get him a 22lr.

If he has any experience shooting go 45acp. The recoil is very smooth and very easy to manage with proper mechanics. Now if you're going the subcompact route get him a 9mm unless he's a large guy. 6'+ 200lbs+. If he has no experience shooting or an anticipation problem start him with a 9mm.

The 40s&w is a GREAT caliber, but the snappy recoil takes a little experience.

Go Springfield xdm/xds/xd mod2 or a glock all day! For the price ~$500 they can't be beat. Both great guns. It's kind of like chevy or ford more or less. I'm a xdm guy myself. The springfield will take the edge on accuracy and the glock on reliability al beit a marginal edge. If you like the grip of a 1911 you'll prefer the xdm if you didn't then go glock.

I've got an xd 45 tactical, xdm 45 compact, xdm 40, xds 45, and I got the gf a xd mod2 9mm for christmas. My favorie by far is my xdm 45 compact! I'm 6' 205. I love them all and they all have their role.

IMHO 3.8" is the absolute sweet spot for a pistol barrel. Great for open carry and concealed and shooting.

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: jonlee126

642 S&W

I'm sure you're more experienced than I on this subject. At what point in a persons concealed carry career should the consider carrying a a semi auto?

One can't mark a date on a calendar and say "he's had 6 months so he's good to go". It has to be when the individual can say with full confidence that they are 100% comfortable with the weapon. It took me a year or 2 of part time carrying a 1911 style pistol to accept that it was safe to have a round chambered AND the hammer back when carrying. It was just a mental thing.

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 05:21 PM

642 S&W

One can't mark a date on a calendar and say "he's had 6 months so he's good to go". It has to be when the individual can say with full confidence that they are 100% comfortable with the weapon. It took me a year or 2 of part time carrying a 1911 style pistol to accept that it was safe to have a round chambered AND the hammer back when carrying. It was just a mental thing.

Well in that case an XD series handgun, several boxes of ammo, and some dry fire practice at night and he should be well on his way. Have you ever considered that one of the "small things that go wrong" for newbies is running out of ammo? I bought an xdm 4.5 9mm for a reason as my first handgun for a reason! Lol 19 round mags go a long way. And yes I concealed carried it too at 165lbs soaking wet. On the other hand maybe there is some value to statistic that most self defense shootings happen at 7' and 5 rounds is all you need.

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 06:00 PM

You should never need 19 rounds in a standard concealed carry situation.
1. you shoould try and get away without shooting anyone. Shooting should be a have to thing unless you want to go to jail.
2. If you cant hit someone in 5-7 rounds you prolly shouldn't be shooting anyway.

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 06:11 PM

I agree with the first statement but I can think of a situation or two where I would want more than 5-7 rounds. When I had my shield I ALWAYS carried an extra mag. So regardless of which gun I was carrying I had at least 15 rounds. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 06:16 PM

Notice I said standard situation. Most of the time you will be dealing with 1-2 ppl at a max distance of 5-10ft. I agree though always better to be prepared. I would say the most important think is to pick a gun you like that you can handle well and spend plenty of time shooting said gun.

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 06:21 PM

OP, there is entertainment value in buying a hand gun as well. I find it a lot more enjoyable to shoot my semi auto that my uncles revolver.

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: 87dixieboy
Notice I said standard situation. Most of the time you will be dealing with 1-2 ppl at a max distance of 5-10ft. I agree though always better to be prepared. I would say the most important think is to pick a gun you like that you can handle well and spend plenty of time shooting said gun.

I didn't know there was a standard situation. Just like you hear LEOs talk about a routine traffic stop, they don't.

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 06:37 PM

Have you ever considered that one of the "small things that go wrong" for newbies is running out of ammo?

Yes, I have. And I've also considered the affects of 'limp wristing' a semi auto and clearing a stovepipe, FTE, FTF, accidentally dropping the mag out and/or other semi auto malfunction while under attack. YMMV
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 06:53 PM

S&W 642 Airweight is hard to beat.

Simple and unmatched reliability in a good revolver. You can load it throw is in a draw, come back in 20 years, pull the trigger and it will go bang. I also agree you should never plan to get into a shootout and revolver is all the firepower you really likely need if you are moving away from the threat as you probably should be. I'm not going to act like a hero over someone's cash register money. I'm not going to stop a robbery. Not likely you'd be involved in an active murder. Only way I'm getting involved is if my life is threatened.

And if I'm going to stop a Terrorist... I'm not going to do it with a CC weapon. Probably need a little more firepower if someone's got an AK unless you just got a deathwish.

Re: Handgun question - 02/09/16 07:16 PM

Do me a favor. Reload your revolver. How long did that take? (Unload the revolver first please) Now sprint to your mailbox and back, then reload your revolver. How long did it take this time? Multiply that difference by 10 and that's how long it'll take you to reload it in an active shooter situation, if you are able to with all the adrenaline that'll be flowing.

I'll be d**ned if my last thought will be "if I only had one more round."

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. And never be outgunned.

Re: Handgun question - 02/10/16 08:21 AM

The only way you aren't going to be outgunned in an active shooter situation is if you carry an AR and several mags everywhere. People watch too much TV.

Carry the most effective weapon that you are comfortable using and carrying everyday. It might not even be the same gun in different situations. I carry both a pocket pistol and a Glock depending on the situation but I don't feel outgunned even when I'm carrying the Kahr P-380. It's likely more than I'll ever need.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Handgun question - 02/10/16 10:33 AM

I am curious how many of the resident experts have ever had a gun pulled on them or have used a gun in self defense.

Re: Handgun question - 02/10/16 10:34 AM

Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark
The only way you aren't going to be outgunned in an active shooter situation is if you carry an AR and several mags everywhere. People watch too much TV.

Carry the most effective weapon that you are comfortable using and carrying everyday. It might not even be the same gun in different situations. I carry both a pocket pistol and a Glock depending on the situation but I don't feel outgunned even when I'm carrying the Kahr P-380. It's likely more than I'll ever need.

thumbup

Re: Handgun question - 02/10/16 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By: doekiller
I am curious how many of the resident experts have ever had a gun pulled on them or have used a gun in self defense.

I will be the first to say I haven't. And I hope I never have to
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Handgun question - 02/10/16 11:45 AM

thumbup

TRUTH!

Re: Handgun question - 02/10/16 12:36 PM

I'm no expert but I've been on both ends of this situation.

Re: Handgun question - 02/10/16 02:51 PM

Close as I've ever been the guy standing next to me got shot in the face.

Hope that is close enough.

Nobody is an expert in a gun fight. In a civilian setting situation awareness is better than any training beyond basic operation and marksmanship.... and will save you from having to use your weapon almost 10 out of 10 times.
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Handgun question - 02/10/16 11:52 PM

Ruger sp 101.Training is vital for anyone.As far as ammo capacity Clint Smith of thunder ranch was onto something "Only hits count"
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Handgun question - 02/11/16 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Goatkiller
Close as I've ever been the guy standing next to me got shot in the face.

Hope that is close enough.

Nobody is an expert in a gun fight. In a civilian setting situation awareness is better than any training beyond basic operation and marksmanship.... and will save you from having to use your weapon almost 10 out of 10 times.

Yep...The most sure way to win a gunfight is to never get in one to begin with. If something don't feel right, it probably ain't. Do what you can to avoid trouble and leave the area.

I've also had to use a gun in a self defense situations, all 3 times though no shots were fired, although I'm sure I could have been justified in doing so. The mere sight of the gun change the minds of the folks on the other side of the situation. The first the guy had an ice pick, the second the old saying about bringing a knife to a gunfight, was appropriate. The third, a guy started toward me with a tire tool.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Handgun question - 02/11/16 03:59 PM

Never used one but did spend what seemed like an eternity with a gun a foot from my head during a robbery.Pretty bad feeling sitting there hoping the guys just a crook and not a killer. In this case it would have done me no good to have been carrying. My idiot manager at an all nite grocery store in Huntsville decided to do a bank drop at 1:30 in the morning and took me along.As soon as he walks up to the drop one guy came around a corner and another came from behind me as I was sitting in the car watching him.Never saw him until I looked to my right and he was standing at the window with the gun pointed. He never said a word but I put my hands on my head, stared straight ahead and got to praying.

Re: Handgun question - 02/11/16 05:43 PM

These type stories always interest me. Never even happens to some people, but I've been unlucky on occasion I guess.

Walking to my car downtown B'ham late one night. I just started to open the door when, you know... "Hey, can I ax uz sumptin, I need sum help". He came around the back of the car and had the knife just about into my kidney when my pistol landed right on the end of his girlfriend's nose. I wasn't going anywhere else with it, he'd have sunk it to the hilt for sure. We made a deal at that point and I didn't have to take either of them with me.

polished stainless .45 with real elephant ivory grips. I've still got that pistol. No doubt you can clearly see that one in a dark parking lot.

Re: Handgun question - 02/11/16 06:15 PM

Both those stories show that better situational awareness trumps a bigger gun with more rounds.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Handgun question - 02/11/16 06:49 PM

Dad says a .22 looks like a .50 cal when it's pointed at you. He was in 'Nam in '65-'66 so I reckon he would know.

Re: Handgun question - 02/11/16 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: AC870
Dad says a .22 looks like a .50 cal when it's pointed at you. He was in 'Nam in '65-'66 so I reckon he would know.

And God was with him in that battle that he survived to make it home.

Re: Handgun question - 02/11/16 08:10 PM

Sir maybe you should watch the news more often. If the next ISIS/muslim terrorist attack is nearby where you call home, you'll start thinking a lot differently. Maybe if ISIS had put a hit on your head as they have every active/veteran and our families you'd think differently.

Carrying an AR and a battle sac in the back of your vehicle isn't a bad idea in the world we live in.

If it's not more than you'll ever need then you'll never need more again.

Re: Handgun question - 02/11/16 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Thorm465

Sir maybe you should watch the news more often. If the next ISIS/muslim terrorist attack is nearby where you call home, you'll start thinking a lot differently. Maybe if ISIS had put a hit on your head as they have every active/veteran and our families you'd think differently.

Carrying an AR and a battle sac in the back of your vehicle isn't a bad idea in the world we live in.

paranoid much!?

Re: Handgun question - 02/11/16 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Goatkiller
...Nobody is an expert in a gun fight. In a civilian setting situation awareness is better than any training beyond basic operation and marksmanship.... and will save you from having to use your weapon almost 10 out of 10 times.

This is very true. However, situational awareness is something only gained through experience and on;y a small percentage of civilians will ever acquire this skill. At least this is what my experience has led me to believe.

Re: Handgun question - 02/11/16 08:19 PM

paranoid much!?

That's cute. I'll stay aware/prepared, you keep your head in the sand and we'll see who lives longer and families stays safe.

Re: Handgun question - 02/11/16 08:19 PM

I wish I could do this. There's that employer thing mad
Posted By: bshunt

Re: Handgun question - 02/11/16 08:58 PM

I,ve had to pull one and came so so very close to using it.Was told by police that I had all right to have used it.The most tense few moments I,ve ever had.If you ever have to pull one,be sure that your pepared to use.Everwhere I go now,except work,I try to be packing.Not looking for trouble,but wanna be ready in case trouble show's up( and it's happening a lot more these day).
Posted By: wmd

Re: Handgun question - 02/11/16 09:10 PM

I have never had a gun pulled on me and have only had to use one in self-defense one time 25 years ago and that was to convince the ex-boyfriend of the girl my brother was dating that he really didn't want to take another step in to my apartment. The guy couldn't let things go though and my brother ended up killing him about a year later.

Re: Handgun question - 02/11/16 09:15 PM

Notice I said to carry the most effective gun that you will be comfortable with and always have with you. If you can always carry a Glock 17 or 19 then more power to you,most people won't. That Glock or AR in your car won't do you much good when you are accosted wearing nothing but a pair of shorts down at the lake. My point is more about always carrying than about what you carry. I don't want people to get a Rambo complex and leave all that gear in their vehicle,which most will wind up doing if what they are carrying isn't convenient and comfortable.

let me ask you this since you want to carry an AR in your car. Are you going to get to the safety of your car ,get the AR and then go back into the danger?

Your greatest and most likely danger isn't going to be from an active ISIS shooter. It's going to be from a thug who attacks when you aren't prepared and don't expect it.
Posted By: Little Foot

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 07:30 AM

Originally Posted By: wmd
I have never had a gun pulled on me and have only had to use one in self-defense one time 25 years ago and that was to convince the ex-boyfriend of the girl my brother was dating that he really didn't want to take another step in to my apartment. The guy couldn't let things go though and my brother ended up killing him about a year later.

DAYUM

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 07:50 AM

I have had a gun pulled on me and I have used a gun in defense of myself once and defense of another once.
Both times I drew my gun the other person fled as soon as they saw my gun. Had they not, there would have been at least one of them dead as my gun was pressed into him at point bank range.

I travel into parts of Birmingham most of you are scared of on a weekly basis. I have never had even a hint of problems in those areas. The two times I used a gun I was in homewood.

If Isis attacks around me, I guess I will not be a one man army like Thorm2039485. He can fight off all the terrorist for us. I am more concerned with a robbery or carjacking for myself or my family.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 09:30 AM

Newish Alabama Law, your employer can NOT prevent you from carrying in your personal vehicle even on company property.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 09:37 AM

I would honestly like to know how anyone is thinking an AR in the car can be used.

I can't see and wouldn't recommend going back into an active shooter situation if you had got to your car unless your family is inside with the shooter but I wouldn't leave to go to the car if that were the case.

It might be useful if you were attacked at your car but then you would be better off to just to get away in the car.

You might see yourself going back into a shooter situation to help people,but honestly by the time you get your AR and go back in trained officers are most likely showing up and you will be the first one they shoot.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 09:56 AM

Clark it really isn't practical, just keep carrying your pistol. My luck someone would break in the car and steal the dang AR.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 09:59 AM

Thorm next time you pull up to a work place that has a strict no gun policy for the area, try explaining to them this somewhat new law to them. Im sure they would happily escort you off the property.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 10:10 AM

I would honestly like to know how anyone is thinking an AR in the car can be used.

I can't see and wouldn't recommend going back into an active shooter situation if you had got to your car unless your family is inside with the shooter but I wouldn't leave to go to the car if that were the case.

It might be useful if you were attacked at your car but then you would be better off to just to get away in the car.

You might see yourself going back into a shooter situation to help people,but honestly by the time you get your AR and go back in trained officers are most likely showing up and you will be the first one they shoot.

A situation might occur in that you needed to hunker down at your vehicle for an extended period of time. A long gun might be good option in that situation. You may be the only hope of rescue that a loved one has in a particular situation. A long gun might be a good option in that situation. I can assure you that I have more firepower in my vehicle than I do on my person, where and when the law allows it. I may only need 3 gallons of gas in my truck but it usually has over half a tank. It's better to have it and not need it that need it and not have it. YMMV.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 10:13 AM

Notice I said to carry the most effective gun that you will be comfortable with and always have with you. If you can always carry a Glock 17 or 19 then more power to you,most people won't. That Glock or AR in your car won't do you much good when you are accosted wearing nothing but a pair of shorts down at the lake. My point is more about always carrying than about what you carry. I don't want people to get a Rambo complex and leave all that gear in their vehicle,which most will wind up doing if what they are carrying isn't convenient and comfortable.

let me ask you this since you want to carry an AR in your car. Are you going to get to the safety of your car ,get the AR and then go back into the danger?

Your greatest and most likely danger isn't going to be from an active ISIS shooter. It's going to be from a thug who attacks when you aren't prepared and don't expect it.

I completely agree with this.

To answer your question, yes or at least I'd like to think so.

To your last point, I prefer to be prepared for both.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 10:15 AM

Originally Posted By: 87dixieboy
Thorm next time you pull up to a work place that has a strict no gun policy for the area, try explaining to them this somewhat new law to them. Im sure they would happily escort you off the property.

I'm not going to explain anything to them until they're asking why I will not let them search my car or my lawyer is serving them.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 10:18 AM

If Isis attacks around me, I guess I will not be a one man army like Thorm2039485. He can fight off all the terrorist for us. I am more concerned with a robbery or carjacking for myself or my family.

I highly doubt I'll be alone. I know other Marines and other Veterans in my area that stay prepared for terrorist to show up in our area. We will not sit back and allow ourselves to be helpless victims.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 10:21 AM

Without training and the confidence to employ that weapon, this probably isn't for you. I just know I would never be able to live with myself if I ran while others were slaughtered.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 10:28 AM

Without training and the confidence to employ that weapon, this probably isn't for you. I just know I would never be able to live with myself if I ran while others were slaughtered.

You really do think you're Rambo don't you.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 10:52 AM

You really do think you're Rambo don't you.

He doesn't think he is Rambo. Rambo was a pussy compared to him.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 10:54 AM

Newish Alabama Law, your employer can NOT prevent you from carrying in your personal vehicle even on company property.

You need to learn a thing or two before you throw out your opinion.

There are places not covered by the law. Like where he works, it is a federal military facility and doesn't fall under the law. Neither do places like power plants that are fenced, secure, with limited access and security.

Your know it all attitude is funny given you lack of knowledge.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 11:58 AM

Roll up to a gate at Browns Ferry Nuke Plant or Redstone Arsenal or Anniston Army Depot or Ft. Rucker or ANY Federal, gated facility where most firearms and ammo are prohibited and tell 'em you've got centerfire weapons/ammo and that you are, BY GOD, coming on in. We'll see the story on the TV news and probably read your obituary.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 12:16 PM

Roll up to a gate at Browns Ferry Nuke Plant or Redstone Arsenal or Anniston Army Depot or Ft. Rucker or ANY Federal, gated facility where most firearms and ammo are prohibited and tell 'em you've got centerfire weapons/ammo and that you are, BY GOD, coming on in. We'll see the story on the TV news and probably read your obituary.

Exactly, these places will not even let you enter if you have any shells in your vehicle much less a firearm

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 12:41 PM

I have never seen them ask for permission to search your vehicle either. They just point you to a lane, tell you to get out, and commence to searching.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 12:54 PM

://///// Military bases and federal facilities are not covered under state law. I had no idea I needed to have clarified that.

Did someone have to tell you to lift the seat before you stopped pissing on it?

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 01:14 PM

://///// Military bases and federal facilities are not covered under state law. I had no idea I needed to have clarified that.

Kinda like folks not feeling the need to clarify why they don't do things like you do ... their employer says they can't do it. It is plainly clear to them (and others) why some folks can't/won't/don't do things like they really want.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 01:48 PM

Take a look at this FBI study.
http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/10-lessons-learned-from-the-new-fbi-study-on-active-shooters

Here is #4
4) The majority of the incidents (56%) ended by the shooter’s own initiative. That means that the events happened so fast that police or armed citizens did not have a chance to intervene. The idea that armed citizens can keep an “active shooter bag” full of emergency gear in the car, escape the building where the shooting is taking place, grab the gear and get inside in time to stop the killing is absolutely ludicrous for the majority of these encounters. These shootings are “come as you are” events. If you don’t have the gear on your person to stop the killer, you won’t be a factor in the termination of the shooting. - See more at: http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/10...h.obQzghGy.dpuf

I'm no coward nor do I see any of us as cowards,nor incapable. I just wanted to us to think about what might happen should one of us grab an AR and go into an active situation. There is a very good possibility of getting shot by a cop just arriving at the scene or even another armed citizen inside.

There is also the possibility that were we to engage the bad guy,accidentally shooting another person. It's happened to cops lots of times and could happen to any of us country boys too.

I think the best and most effective plan is to be able to always defend yourself or others instantly. The most likely case is that the shooting will be over in minuets if not seconds.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 02:21 PM

What does that mean? You sure are an Internet badass.

You made an incorrect statement and I pointed out you were wrong and didn't know what you were talking about. If that upsets you, I will be happy to buy you some maxi-pads for your runny vagina.

Re: Handgun question - 02/12/16 02:44 PM

My thoughts exactly doekiller. thumbup
© 2024 ALDEER.COM