Aldeer.com

Another new Model 7

Posted By: trox28

Another new Model 7 - 01/18/16 10:58 PM

Picked up another model 7 today.Stainless 260.Haven't decided yet on which stock but I've narrowed it down to a Boyds platinum coyote color or a silver/black web Bell&Carlson medalist.I'm staying with the black scope on this one and actually ordered a Leupold VX2 4x12x50 for it earlier.Hoping to try it out before seasons over.

Posted By: Haybale

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/18/16 11:58 PM

I love me a 260. I call first in line when you sale it in a couple weeks.

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Haybale

Nope ain't happening
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 08:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Haybale

Negative, I called dibs at 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon grin
Posted By: bama1157

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 08:51 AM

Nice rifle Trox I have always wanted a 260 just never run up on one at the right price...
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 09:20 AM

Fine rifles there. I sold one just like the black stainless several years ago. I loaned it to a friend that was having issues with his old Marlin 336 and eventually he wanted to buy it. He's killed dozens of deer with it.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 10:50 AM

Is that a brand new Seven? I handled one at the turkey convention last winter and I like the way they feel better than the old ones

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: BrentM
Is that a brand new Seven? I handled one at the turkey convention last winter and I like the way they feel better than the old ones

Noooo 97 model..Wood ones 03
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: trox28

Let us know how it shoots. If I believe that was the first year for the 260, and have heard some grumblings about how they wouldn't shoot due to inappropriate twists in the early rifles. I remember a friend of mine got one for Christmas in 97 or 98 and they never could get it to shoot.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 05:49 PM

Now you just pissing me off. laugh. Lol. Cause that makes me want to buy another Model Seven, too. Good looking rifle. Congrats. thumbup

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: odocoileus

Let us know how it shoots. If I believe that was the first year for the 260, and have heard some grumblings about how they wouldn't shoot due to inappropriate twists in the early rifles. I remember a friend of mine got one for Christmas in 97 or 98 and they never could get it to shoot.

Shot a box through it today just piddlin and it shot great with the cheapass Simmons..Maybe my Leupold will be in the next few days and I'll really get it sighted in and see how she groups. Also I got to try the 7-08 out today..Climbing up my ladder into my tripod and this one came out across the clearcut..First shot didn't exit but the smaller hole on the right is the entrance.He spun around on the first shot and I put anothern in him.Big hole is exit on 2nd shot..I never even made it in my tripod and he didn't go but 40 yards.140gr Nosler Partition at around 150 yards.Thought he was bigger but he's gonna eat just fine.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 07:20 PM

Awesome! Do you know if you can replace the bolt shroud in the models with the J-lock to eliminate it? I'd never use it and it just looks ugly and messes up the lines of an otherwise beautiful rifle.

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 07:31 PM

Awesome! Do you know if you can replace the bolt shroud in the models with the J-lock to eliminate it? I'd never use it and it just looks ugly and messes up the lines of an otherwise beautiful rifle.

Not sure on that.The 260 don't have the j-lock but the 7-08 does..I'm sure its replacable but it don't bother me so i've never looked into it
Posted By: longshot

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 07:44 PM

My son's model 7 has a really short youth stock on it now but I will need to swap it out for a standard stock before next season

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: longshot
My son's model 7 has a really short youth stock on it now but I will need to swap it out for a standard stock before next season

Well I'll have two black synthetic stocks if you can use one.The one that came on my 7-08 was a factory stock and honestly cheap looking and felt cheap.The one on this 260 is more like a B&C stock with the texture and I actually like it for a synthetic stock but its gotta go cause I don't do synthetic. I had considered the B&C grey/black web stock for this one just cause I figured it would look good but I can't spend $275 on a synthetic stock.If you want either of these let me know.I also have a brand new 2 piece stainless Leupold base for a Mod7 to if you need it.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 08:39 PM

You buy rifles like I buy Copenhagen. smile
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 09:35 PM

Dang, you can afford Copehagen? Must be nice.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 09:43 PM

Not sure on that.The 260 don't have the j-lock but the 7-08 does..I'm sure its replacable but it don't bother me so i've never looked into it

I believe I've seen the replacement shrouds on Remington's website.
Posted By: shooters

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 09:47 PM

260 with 140 Bergers are very nice! thumbup

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: shooters
260 with 140 Bergers are very nice! thumbup

I'm gonna get the 260 sighted in as soon as my scope comes in and see if my wife can get a buck with it before seasons out.Its a damn good shooter that's fo sho!

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaw

Grizzy snuff

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 10:56 PM

It may not like 140's if it has a 10 twist, but I bet it will shoot 120 grain bullets just fine.

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 11:28 PM

Trox... where did you find the production dates?
Mines a non J bolt but has the nicer of the synthetic stocks with the R3 pad
782xxxx serial number
20" barrel 243

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/19/16 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: longshot
Trox... where did you find the production dates?
Mines a non J bolt but has the nicer of the synthetic stocks with the R3 pad
782xxxx serial number
20" barrel 243

Left side on barrel just in front of action..It'll be two very small stamped letters..Gimme them letters and I'll tell you when it was made.

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/20/16 12:00 AM

It may not like 140's if it has a 10 twist, but I bet it will shoot 120 grain bullets just fine.

1/9 twist as is all model 7's..It shot the 140 core Lokts great!I have read a few things similar to what your saying on the earlier model 7's but have also read the initial problem was with the 244cal and was later fixed to the 1/9 twist and it was renamed the 6mm.That was before the model 7's were built and they had the problem fixed when they started building model7's.I'll say the only downfall to the gun at all (and its really not a problem cause the mod 7 wasn't designed as a target shooter) is after 3 back to back shots the groups open up a little cause the barrels heat pretty quick.They don't get ridiculous but they do open up.Still well within vital range of killing a deer but not near 1/2". I took two shots back to back on that buck above earlier and you can see the groups and that was 150+ yards.

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/20/16 12:27 AM

Trox.... it's KA

Found it... it's a 2006 first list I found only went to 2001

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/20/16 08:02 AM

thumbup
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/20/16 09:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Shaw

Grizzy snuff

Copenhagen is still the only thing in America that's worth more than it's selling price.

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/20/16 10:18 AM

All the Remington .260's were introduced with a 10 twist when they brought the cartridge on to the market and the caliber never gained popularity. I don't know if they made a model seven in .260 when they first introduced it or not. I think the following year they went to a 9 twist and things were better but the caliber still didn't really take off.
260's got super popular when some of the other rifle manufactures like tikka and sako and savage pretty much everybody but Remington and browning started making their 260 barrels with an 8 twist.
Crazy how Remington keeps screwing stuff up. I would think a lot of people would shoot a 6mm Rem instead of a 243 if Remington had ever offered it with a fast twist barrel so it would shoot 100 grain bullets well.
Sorry to derail your thread trox. I love model sevens and .260's so I just thought it was interesting
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/20/16 10:27 AM

All the Remington .260's were introduced with a 10 twist when they brought the cartridge on to the market and the caliber never gained popularity. I don't know if they made a model seven in .260 when they first introduced it or not. I think the following year they went to a 9 twist and things were better but the caliber still didn't really take off.
260's got super popular when some of the other rifle manufactures like tikka and sako and savage pretty much everybody but Remington and browning started making their 260 barrels with an 8 twist.
Crazy how Remington keeps screwing stuff up. I would think a lot of people would shoot a 6mm Rem instead of a 243 if Remington had ever offered it with a fast twist barrel so it would shoot 100 grain bullets well.
Sorry to derail your thread trox. I love model sevens and .260's so I just thought it was interesting
I'm anxious to see how this 10 twist A-bolt is gonna shoot the 100 grain Barnes TTSX heated up. Even if it doesn't shoot it well, it won't be a big heartbreak or anything because it will shoot a ragged hole with the 120 TTSX factory stuff. For whatever reason, when I think of a 140 grain bullet...I think 7mm and not 6.5 though I certainly understand why many folks do want to shoot 140 grainers in a .260.

I did shoot some 140 grain Game Kings (Southwest ammunition) out of that little Browning the other day and though the group wasn't nearly as good as the 120's, it still shot them pretty damn good. Very interesting to look down through the history of the .260 and study the twist rate issue, load for the .260 now, etc. I'm looking forward to fooling with all of it a little more myself.

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/20/16 11:43 AM

Jug them same 140 game kings would just about shoot in the same hole in my 260 finnlite with an 8 twist.
I was thinking that A Bolt had a 9 twist though.

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/20/16 11:56 AM

Jug them same 140 game kings would just about shoot in the same hole in my 260 finnlite with an 8 twist.
I was thinking that A Bolt had a 9 twist though.
And you're STILL a dumb arse for getting rid of that gun. grin

It might be a 9 twist. I dunno. I just figured it was a 10 twist considering when it was manufactured.

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/20/16 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: JUGHEAD

And you're STILL a dumb arse for getting rid of that gun. :grin. [/quote]

Nah it was too much gun for me pal. Now if I ever got rid of my model seven you could call me a dumbass and I would agree with you 100%

Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/20/16 06:31 PM

You shot the 260 yet jug?

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/20/16 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
You shot the 260 yet jug?
Yes sir! Shoots like a dream! thumbup
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Another new Model 7 - 01/20/16 10:56 PM

Sweet ain't she??? thumbup
Posted By: James