Aldeer.com

The Bacon Explosion!!!

Posted By: DEADorALIVE

The Bacon Explosion!!! - 12/12/10 02:55 AM

I get asked about this a lot, so I'll repost it...

The ingredient list is simple.... 2 lbs of sausage, 2 lbs of thick cut (not market cut) bacon, BBQ seasoning, BBQ sauce, and a smoker!

Here's the link I received that made me try this recipe... http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

Ok...got up this morning and started the Bacon Explosion recipe. First off, prep time is sorta lengthy, but it was kind of fun doing it. I used the Spicy Venison Sausage recipe I posted last night.

Step 1. The Bacon Weave...it's not as simple as it looks, but not terribly complicated, either...

Step 2. In an effort to keep costs down, I used ingredients I had onhand. Rather than a barbeque specific flavoring, I used "Bad Byron's Butt Rub"...

Step 3. The sausage layer. I found that trying to push the sausage layer out to the edges disturbed the bacon weave, so I took the sausage off and pressed it out on wax paper, then transferred it back to the bacon weave.

Step 4. I used Gwaltney's thick cut bacon...

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 12/12/10 02:56 AM

Step 5. I like bacon crispy, so it was easier to crush than to chop...it turned out finer than the chopped bacon shown in the link to the recipe.

Step 6. I had some Kraft BBQ sauce onhand, so that's what I used. It doesn't lend itself well to "drizzling", though, so I poured some on, then daubed at it a bit with a BBQ brush.

Step 7. The recipe describes this as "the fun part"...it was more like "the tricky part"! Rolling the thick layer of sausage, while keeping the roll tight and the ingredients contained took a little patience.

Step 8. I used a spatula to get the edge of the bacon weave up and started, and it all rolled right up. I was patting myself on the back at this point, congratulating myself on how much like the picture in the link it looked!

So...it's on the smoker, now...should be ready around 3:30 or so...we'll see how it all comes out!

A word about the smoker...I don't have one. I'd LOVE a BGE, but haven't been able to find room in the budget for one, yet. I'm using a homemade smoker, borrowed from fireman...it's like a BGE...2 12" terracotta pots, with a grill and a hotplate for the heat source. I call it, the Big Orange Egg! This marks my first attempt at smoking anything, ever...seems to doing fine, though, and fireman swears it works like a charm!

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 12/12/10 02:57 AM

Alrighty, then...I had the smoker's hot plate set around "Medium", so once the meat was in, the temperature built a lot more slowly than if I'd had a smoker with a thermostat. Rather than the 3 or 3 1/2 hours I anticipated, it took closer to 5 1/2 hours, but here are the results...

Hot off the grill...when the core temp. of the roll reached 165 degrees, it was done.

Applying the glaze...since my BBQ sauce was vinegar-based, I added some honey for a smoother, shinier glaze.

The finished glaze...took it about 20 minutes or so to set up...

The finished product...NOTE: use a VERY sharp knife to cut with, in order to maintain the integrity of the slice. Otherwise, you'll end up making a mess and spoiling your presentation.

Final step....the taste test! I gotta say, this didn't taste anything like I expected it to. With so much bacon, I sort of figured it would overwhelm the other flavors and dominate the roll. Not so. Using the venison sausage was a great idea, I think, since venison cooks to a whole different texture than pork does. The flavors were all well balanced. The bacon, the venison, the BBQ sauce, the Mesquite smoke, and the glaze all knew their roles and played their parts well.
Posted By: BIG-AL

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 12/12/10 03:09 PM

YUM!!!!
Posted By: sethjamtoe

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 12/12/10 05:46 PM

Damn! I'm starving now! I'm gonna have to try this one! I have a few packs of venison sausage in the freezer that are just calling me to turn them into a "Bacon Explosion"!

Thanks!
Posted By: rst87

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 03/03/11 07:47 PM

i like the smoker. What all do you need to make one.
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 03/04/11 10:05 PM

I just pulled 2 bounds of venison sausage out of the freezer to try this again. Can't think of a better way to spend a rainy Saturday than cooking on the BGE.
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 03/05/11 11:51 PM

Yep, still good. I think I can feel my heart struggling just a little bit.
Posted By: smccord

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 03/08/11 09:23 PM

A friend made one of those things awhile back and also added chopped onion and bell pepper to the inside. It was truly to die for.
Posted By: BDhunts

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 03/16/11 10:23 PM

Dang it man!!!! Gonna have to try that

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 04/16/11 07:46 AM

The smoker was 2 12-14" terra cotta pots with a small round grill that sat on the lip just below the rim, and something to hold the whole thing an inch or so off the surface it's all sitting on. A hot plate for the heat source, with the cord running out of the bottom hole, and an old aluminum saucepan for the wood chips, and a meat thermometer sitting in the hole on top. He probably has $35 in the whole thing...if that much, he's kinda a cheapskate about stuff like that! *L*
Posted By: hogjaw

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 05/09/11 09:23 PM

I tried that one time but the recipe I used called for plain hamburger meat. I did not like it. Would be better with sausage! Heatattack Roll!
Posted By: coldtrail

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 05/11/11 04:42 PM

neat smoker, the "Big Cheap Egg"
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 05/15/11 03:26 AM

Ive made 6 or 7 and the sausage is a little bit too much flavor i would stick with the regular ground meat.
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 05/22/11 11:47 PM

My heart just stopped beating just looking at these pics laugh

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 05/30/11 01:10 PM

I also mix in some onions, bell peppers, cheese, as well as a few other things in the middle before a roll it up.
Posted By: smittyred

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 10/26/11 12:43 AM

you know when youre sittin aroung at night and your kinda hungry and kinda not but just dont know what you want....found it haha
Posted By: Megatrondiablo

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 11/29/11 09:07 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: doekiller

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 03/31/12 11:18 PM

Will and I made one of these Thursday and then cooked it last night. It was great. HE loved making it.
Posted By: Morris

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 04/20/12 08:30 PM

I will be making a stab at this over the weekend. Already got meat thawing out. Gonna find some thick cut bacon on way home.
Posted By: Morris

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 04/21/12 05:33 AM

I'm stoked!!! Got mine prepped for smoker in the morning. Added some onions and jalapeno peppers in the center.
Posted By: imadeerhntr

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 05/20/12 06:59 PM

I made my first today. It's on the smoker right now with temp at 144. I stuffed mine with mushrooms, provolone cheese, spinach and vidallia onions. Used jimmy dean regular sausage, and coated the bacon down with sweet baby rays sweet vidallia onion bbq sause.
Posted By: eskimo270

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 07/22/12 02:45 AM

I smoked on of these today and they were a big hit, the only thing that I did different was add green pepper and cheddar cheese. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Posted By: MsN40R

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 08/15/12 03:26 PM

I am gonna try this soon! looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing as well, but think I will add peppers and cheese as well
Posted By: 8pt

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 09/30/12 05:07 AM

Looks awesome. Need to cook one of these for ball games next weekend
Posted By: glenncmp

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 07/19/13 11:02 PM

dang and i'm at work drooling now... gonna be a long night!!
Posted By: theolgoat

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 07/20/13 12:01 AM

This is the sh*t that killed Elvis, thank you sir for giving this to the everyone
Posted By: hammerhead

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 07/21/13 08:29 AM

Originally Posted By: theolgoat
This is the sh*t that killed Elvis, thank you sir for giving this to the everyone

I don't recall seeing Morphine, Demerol, Chloropheniramine, Placidyl, Valium, Codeine, Ethinamate, Quaaludes, and barbituates in the list of ingredients.

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 08/11/13 08:49 PM

Another mini one!!! I eat 6-8 deer a year. This consist of prob 1/5 of it.
Posted By: natesl

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 11/02/13 09:05 PM

So yummy....
Posted By: bowhunter86

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 11/26/13 06:12 PM

Why am I just now seeing this? Looks awesome, mommas gonna have to make a walmart run...
Posted By: wishbone

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 07/01/14 10:02 PM

Dang that looks good. Gonna try it soon !
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 02/11/15 09:09 PM

HOLY HARDENING OF THE ARTERIES BATMAN!

Dang that looks good
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 02/06/17 03:27 PM

I have dont that before, and it is so good.

A tip for rolling it would be to put wax paper down before doing the bacon weave. Then the paper will let you pickup the weave evenly, after the roll starts to roll upwards, gently pull the wax paper off and discard. Also if you will make the bacon weave then put in the freezer for a few minutes to get cold it will roll up easier.

Room temperature bacon weaving is like herding drunk greasy cats.
Posted By: Whild_Bill

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 03/20/22 04:26 AM

OG what a classic entry! Hall of fame
Posted By: olemossy

Re: The Bacon Explosion!!! - 03/20/22 03:11 PM

Oh my.... Never saw this before. Thanks Whild Bill for getting this going again. I will definitely be using this recipe
© 2024 ALDEER.COM