Aldeer.com

Barbecue joints worth a stop

Posted By: Clem

Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/07/24 06:41 PM

I believe we may have discussed this in another thread buried down the line but the Mentone post in the General got me thinking about this.

When I drive over to Georgia, I usually go on Alabama 40 through Henagar, dip into Valley Head and then up to Mentone.

There is a BBQ place at the junction of 40-75 called, I think, Bama Boys BBQ. It's the one beside McDonald's.

Down in Valley Head at the Y, there's a small joint but I can't remember the name.

Both have been around for quite a while. Never have been to either of them.

Are they good? Any first-hand accounts, and suggestions on what's best?
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/07/24 06:47 PM

If you go down 82 past maplesville stop at herds it’s good but only open for lunch.
Posted By: sw1002

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/08/24 02:09 AM

Sam's in Fayette was really good when i spent a couple years there playing baseball. Still one of my favorites anywhere. Did go back once around 2016 and it was still good but can't vouch for now. Meat Boss is probably my favorite in the Mobile area.
Posted By: Big Buck Video

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/08/24 02:15 AM

Jim's on 82 in Billingsley is good stuff.

In Tuscaloosa I like Archibald's the best.
Posted By: BurningBright

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/08/24 02:15 PM

I believe the one in Valley Head is the Rib Shack. I've never been but heard it is good. Did Bama Boys used to be in Hammondville? There was a BBQ place there that closed a few years ago.

The other day someone mentioned a restaurant up that way but didn't know the name. They said it was mostly BBQ, in a house (I think) and you ate at family style picnic tables outside. Anyone know what place it might be? They thought it was on Hwy 11.
Posted By: The Big Cheese

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/08/24 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by sw1002
Sam's in Fayette was really good when i spent a couple years there playing baseball. Still one of my favorites anywhere. Did go back once around 2016 and it was still good but can't vouch for now. Meat Boss is probably my favorite in the Mobile area.

Use to eat Sams back in the day when I travelled to Fayette regular. Been 8 years or so since i've been.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/09/24 03:38 AM

Twix N Tween in centerville used to be great. I don’t know if they are even still in business. I know the new 4 lane bypassed them years ago and that hurt them.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/09/24 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc
Twix N Tween in centerville used to be great. I don’t know if they are even still in business. I know the new 4 lane bypassed them years ago and that hurt them.

They had the best pulled pork back in the day. Pretty sure they're out of business

Worst bbq I've had in AL is Bush's in Luverne. Don't stop there, it's awful. I really don't know how they're still open
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/09/24 03:37 PM

Alabama Rib Shack in Gainesville AL is very good.
Posted By: chevydude2015

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/09/24 04:00 PM

Hancock's in Selma

Slab and More in Demopolis
Posted By: geeb1

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/09/24 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Big Buck Video
Jim's on 82 in Billingsley is good stuff.

In Tuscaloosa I like Archibald's the best.

I wondered if Jim's was still open. We used to eat lunch after every hunt in autauga county. The one with all the Alabama football posters?
Posted By: top cat

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/09/24 07:34 PM

Out of a good one
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/11/24 05:40 AM

They closed and I think it's a Mexican place now.
Posted By: James

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/11/24 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tigger85

Everything that closes seems to turn into a wannabe Mexican restaurant.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/11/24 03:55 PM

Any details on Slab and More in Demopolis?
Posted By: Brian_C

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/12/24 01:15 AM

BarBQ 65 at exit 128 on I65 is pretty good , the pulled pork and the smoked chicken is worth a taste. The baked beans are not great UT are edible if you doctor them up with the bbq sauce.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/12/24 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tigger85

It did and it is. I forgot about Willard’s in Marion on hwy 5. Barbecue samich isn’t great but it’s good and bye god you were full when you left. Big samich.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/12/24 03:07 AM

Best BBQ in Alabama goes to Uncle Sam's in hueytown.imo everything is great here!
Second original dream lands ribs in t-town.
Posted By: chevydude2015

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/13/24 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Stoney

What do you want to know? It’s dang good bbq. Their wings are supposed to be good as well but I haven’t tried them personally.
Posted By: Okatuppa

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/13/24 02:38 PM

Hog Wild BBQ in Gulf Shores.

Slabs & More in Demopolis.
Their wings are excellent, too.
Posted By: blade

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/13/24 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by chevydude2015
Originally Posted by Stoney

What do you want to know? It’s dang good bbq. Their wings are supposed to be good as well but I haven’t tried them personally.

Yes, very good BBQ. If I’m over that way at eating time, its where I go.
Posted By: johnmcgowan

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/13/24 06:05 PM

Did not know about Slabs in Demopolis. Next time I'm down that way I'll have to stop by there.
Posted By: Showout

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/13/24 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Big Cheese
Originally Posted by sw1002
Sam's in Fayette was really good when i spent a couple years there playing baseball. Still one of my favorites anywhere. Did go back once around 2016 and it was still good but can't vouch for now.

Use to eat Sams back in the day when I travelled to Fayette regular. Been 8 years or so since i've been.

Their smoked wings are phenomenal.
Posted By: MAG

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/20/24 07:05 AM

Robertson’s in Ralph is very good. Always consistent, and other choices.
Posted By: Buckwheat

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/20/24 01:16 PM

Byron's in Auburn is VERY good. Also is a major meeting place in the morning for the locals having Breakfast.
Posted By: fourfive45

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/20/24 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by chevydude2015
Hancock's in Selma

Slab and More in Demopolis

Hancocks has the best hamburger steak I’ve ever eaten
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/20/24 07:52 PM

Slab and more in demop good

Byrons awesome - try there Brunswick stew and cornbread and sliced bbq sandwich great. There breakfast is very good

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/20/24 07:57 PM

Use to get good bbq at hancocks in selma - been long time since been there

Had some good bbq at mobile dreamland

Out of state - montgomery inn boat house in Cincinnati use to have special baby back ribs - many years since i been there
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/20/24 09:22 PM

Where in Demopolis is Slab and More?

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/20/24 09:28 PM

If you come into demopolis on hwy 43 from linden and you get to hwy 80 and car dealership is on your left and if you go right you go to selma. Go neither left or right - head across 80 amd go toward colored section of town - its down on your right. Right up in where all the brothers live - its a shack

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/20/24 09:29 PM

My map says E Pettus street (edmond)
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/22/24 03:35 AM

Sam’s in Fayette. The wings can’t be beat.

Mookie’s in Winfield, awesome white sauce.
Posted By: Whild_Bill

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/22/24 04:47 AM

Is Charlie Browns still open in Selma? Bunch of gals bummed a pinch of snuff from me in that place back the day
Posted By: Ridgehunter36

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/22/24 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
Byron's in Auburn is VERY good. Also is a major meeting place in the morning for the locals having Breakfast.

I'm literally looking at Byron's from my office chair, they might as well add me a bedroom in the back.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/22/24 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lonster

You can’t name a place Mookie’s and not serve some top notch smoked meats. beers

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/22/24 08:52 PM

Chris BBQ in Prattville has a really unique BBQ sauce thats worstichire sauce based

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/22/24 10:16 PM

^^
Forgot about that one. I use to work in prattville a lot - chris’s was good

Next time you in prattville - try uncle nicks downtown. Incredible cajun food. Going to look up name now to make sure i got it right - awesome place. Been years since i been there - they even let you sample food before you order

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/22/24 10:18 PM

^^^
Its Uncle Micks cajun cafe. Sorry - not bbq - but WB mentioned prattville and it made me remember this awesome spot
Posted By: Driveby

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/25/24 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by BCLC
Originally Posted by Lonster

You can’t name a place Mookie’s and not serve some top notch smoked meats. beers

Maybe I hit them on an off day but the time I tried it was terrible. They gave me a sampler to try everything and I didn’t care for any of it. The chicken and ribs were overcooked and dry and everything was for the most part under seasoned.

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/25/24 02:55 PM

Anyone a fan of Archibalds in Tuscaloosa. I went there last year got the ribs wasn’t impressed at all I’ll take dreamland any day over that
Posted By: Buckwheat

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/25/24 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Whild_Bill
Is Charlie Browns still open in Selma? Bunch of gals bummed a pinch of snuff from me in that place back the day

Been closed for several years. I hunted over there back in the early 90's. Managed to "Bed-Down" a Doe or two from there!!
Posted By: sw1002

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/26/24 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Whild_Bill
Anyone a fan of Archibalds in Tuscaloosa. I went there last year got the ribs wasn’t impressed at all I’ll take dreamland any day over that

I like the wings at the one off of Skyland
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/28/24 06:03 PM

True South on SEC Network visited a place in Gainesville called Alabama Rib Shack; looked like it would be worth checking out?

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 01/28/24 10:01 PM

Dreamland has higher reviews WB. Never been to archibalds - dreamland always been good to me in T-town

Saw a place in Memphis last night on food network on diners drive-ins and dives thats supposed to be good - has a Graceland/elvis connection. Forgot dang name - looked good
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 02/07/24 01:10 AM

Went to Pucketts at I-65 and 157 in Cullman last Saturday. It was really good. I will be back. Think I need to try more on the menu. Prices were a tad high but portions were big too.
Posted By: imadeerhntr

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 02/07/24 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by trlrdrdave
Went to Pucketts at I-65 and 157 in Cullman last Saturday. It was really good. I will be back. Think I need to try more on the menu. Prices were a tad high but portions were big too.

Dang that’s odd every person I’ve spoken with talked about how bad it was. Never tried it, and all did say it was overpriced
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 02/07/24 11:48 AM

Smokey C’s in Decatur ranks high for me.
I’m not someone who seeks out a BBQ joint often but that one ranks high.

Here integrates tons of options
Sparkys’s, Southern and Brooks BBQ are oldies that are good on this side of the river. Dick Howell’s and Bunyan’s in the Florence side are oldies and good. The newer ones are 306 and Mitchell’s Smoked meats
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 02/07/24 03:59 PM

The Smoke House in Millbrook was my favorite. I think they have new ownership within the last couple years, but it was still pretty good last time I had it.

They even had a Twix n Tween bbq sauce
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 02/09/24 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by cartervj
Smokey C’s in Decatur ranks high for me.
I’m not someone who seeks out a BBQ joint often but that one ranks high.

Here integrates tons of options
Sparkys’s, Southern and Brooks BBQ are oldies that are good on this side of the river. Dick Howell’s and Bunyan’s in the Florence side are oldies and good. The newer ones are 306 and Mitchell’s Smoked meats

I need to try Smokey C's. Pass by it all the time never stopped.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Barbecue joints worth a stop - 02/09/24 11:34 PM

The turkey is my favorite and I really like the white sauce. The ribs are good too with a nice choice of sides. Get there early
© 2024 ALDEER.COM