Aldeer.com

Best Mexican Food

Posted By: BPI

Best Mexican Food - 09/15/20 09:00 PM

The best bbq post in the general forum along with these killer looking tacos with brisket and all the fresh looking vegetables got me thinking - wheres the best mexican / tex mex at ?

I have 2 entries - Superior grill off 280 - Rosie's in Huntsville ( the one right by the main highway ) with the lean going to rosies.

Thoughts ?
Posted By: AU_trout_bum

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/15/20 09:06 PM

I'd say Rosie's followed by Chuy's
Posted By: Out back

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/15/20 09:11 PM

What? No taco bell love?
Posted By: fillmore

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/15/20 09:13 PM

Dos Hermanos taco truck in downtown Bham

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/15/20 09:15 PM

When my second home was in Huntsville, I loved Rosie's. Went there at least a couple of times a month.

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/15/20 09:58 PM

Rosie's is count.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/15/20 10:10 PM

El taco loco in Birmingham.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/15/20 11:01 PM

Anybody remember the original El Palacios in Birmingham, can't remember which one we used to go to when I was growing up, maybe the Bessemer one. They had these fried tortilla's with cheese on them they served like most mexican places do chips and salsa today. We at their all the time. Think it was a chain, may be a few still around but I bet they are nothing like they were back then.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/15/20 11:50 PM

La Tortilia at the 97 exit on I20/59 is good, ate there last night
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by fillmore

Is there still one off west Oxmoor in that gas station parking lot?

Agree, there's not a better street taco in Alabama.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by fillmore

THIS^^^^ The best tacos you can get anywhere.

This is real Messicans food.
Posted By: FreeStateHunter

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 01:53 AM

Rosie’s isn’t real Mexican. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good but if you’re looking for real Mexican that’s good go to El Cazador on South Parkway

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 12:26 PM

I posted Mexican / Tex Mex... I agree - they are different.

I ate at a legit Mexican joint in downtown Dallas last month - can't remember the name though. Had chicken enchiladas and soup - It was count.
Posted By: Darrylcom

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 05:11 PM

I second Superior Grill. Margarita Grill is good too, I think someone from Superior must have started Margarita because they have the same food with different names.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 06:39 PM

It’s not proper Mexican but my favorite is Taco Mama @ the Summit, not the one in Crestline Village. Steak soft tacos & chips with extra queso and salsa. ¡¡Ayyy yay yayyyy!!
Posted By: Groundhawg

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 07:27 PM

No doubt the best in the state can be found at the Blue Agave, downtown on the square, in Ozark. AL. This wonderful restaurant offers a truly enjoyable dining experience. With culinary offerings from South of the border the management of this restaurant take preparing authentic Mexican Cuisine to a whole new level. With traditional entrees to new spicy and delicious offerings coming forth from the kitchen.
Posted By: snakebit

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 07:32 PM

La Parilla Dothan
Posted By: AU_trout_bum

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 07:37 PM

If you want real Mexican (not what this post was asking) then go to the back corner of Mi Pueblo grocery store in Homewood.

Here in Auburn, Durango is pretty good for legit tacos. They don't do much else, but they have authentic stuff and I'm usually the only gringo when I go.

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by snakebit
La Parilla Dothan

We were talking about REAL Mexican food! They make some good food but it is far from authentic Mexican food.

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by AU_trout_bum
If you want real Mexican (not what this post was asking) then go to the back corner of Mi Pueblo grocery store in Homewood.

Here in Auburn, Durango is pretty good for legit tacos. They don't do much else, but they have authentic stuff and I'm usually the only gringo when I go.

I reckon the back corner of the Mi Pueblo is about as Messican as you can get. Chickens feet soup and beef tongue on the menu along with fried cactus and tequila to wash it down.

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Groundhawg
La Parilla Dothan

We were talking about REAL Mexican food! They make some good food but it is far from authentic Mexican food.

Just how real you talking , amigo ? Sure enough "authentic' Mexican is about like authentic Chinese... you really don't want the genuine article.

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by BPI
La Parilla Dothan

Just how real you talking , amigo ? Sure enough "authentic' Mexican is about like authentic Chinese... you really don't want the genuine article.

Know it, had it and enjoy it! Do not know know about authentic Chinese, though, no experience with that.

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by BPI
La Parilla Dothan

Know it, had it and enjoy it! Do not know know about authentic Chinese, though, no experience with that.

Think Wuhan China wet markets... That's authentic Chinese.

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by BPI
Originally Posted by BPI
[quote=snakebit]La Parilla Dothan

Think Wuhan China wet markets... That's authentic Chinese.

Understand, now. That is not much different then what I know as authentic Mexican from the local market. And you are correct most would never want to be FORCED to eat "freshly" fixed Mexican food.
Posted By: snakebit

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 09:59 PM

La Parilla Dothan

Originally Posted by BPI
The best bbq post in the general forum along with these killer looking tacos with brisket and all the fresh looking vegetables got me thinking - wheres the best mexican / tex mex at ?

I have 2 entries - Superior grill off 280 - Rosie's in Huntsville ( the one right by the main highway ) with the lean going to rosies.

Thoughts ?

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 10:05 PM

La Parilla Dothan

You won't find messican food in Alabama.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
La Parilla Dothan

You won't find messican food in Alabama.

There are some places that sell sure enough mexican food. Small places. Ice cream shop by walmarks in oneonta used to sell real mexican food. Wasnt anything like youd get at the mexican restuarant really.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/16/20 10:34 PM

Use to date a girl in San Antonio when I lived in Arkansas for while - best Mexican food I ever had Was in San Antonio - all the Mexican places were awesome I visited there

Never found anything like it in Alabama
Posted By: ClarkGriswold

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/17/20 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Darrylcom
I second Superior Grill. Margarita Grill is good too, I think someone from Superior must have started Margarita because they have the same food with different names.

You are correct. Javier used to manage Superior Grill on 280 and went out on his own at 31 and 119 in Pelham.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/18/20 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
La Tortilia at the 97 exit on I20/59 is good, ate there last night

Yes sir definitely favorite place to eat.margaritas are damn good also
I think I was one of his first customers he takes good care of us when we come in
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/18/20 12:03 AM

I tell you the two Mexican food trucks in Homewood Birmingham area are jam up.oxmmor rd and green springs rd.
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/18/20 01:23 AM

That’s funny, I’m consistently disappointed with Superior Grill. Guess we are all different. I will say I like their cheese dip. I like Iguana Grill and Taca Mama.

Once I ate good Mexican food around San Antonio I realized that most of the stuff around here is pretty basic non authentic.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/18/20 01:46 AM

Have not eaten at Superior in many years, but I would grade it a straight F, worst food of any kind I ever tried to eat.
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/18/20 03:31 AM

Have not eaten at Superior in many years, but I would grade it a straight F, worst food of any kind I ever tried to eat.

Tell us what you really think! Lol

You ain’t wrong though ...

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/18/20 12:07 PM

I haven't eaten there but for the past 3 years. It was suggested by a friend so I went while I was in the area. It was so good I've been back 3-4 times since when in the Bham area. Either I stink at knowing what good food is, or they changed a lot in the last several years. Unsure which.
Posted By: Darrylcom

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/19/20 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold

You are correct. Javier used to manage Superior Grill on 280 and went out on his own at 31 and 119 in Pelham.

Well that explains the steak “Crazy Javier”. The Rj’s dip is the bomb also.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/20/20 02:14 PM

Superior grill in the garden district in New Orleans is pretty dang good. The one in baton Rouge is decent too. The one on 280 is dismal in comparison.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/20/20 03:08 PM

Speaking of Mexican food... I whipped up the best burritos we ever ate last night NO BEANS. Picked up a whole beef tenderloin at Hoggly Woggly and after slicing into steaks I pan fried the trimmings in a smidge of peanut oil, then i deglazed the pan with some red wine & lime juice and sautéed some portabello ‘shermz, boiled up some taco rice, made a small batch of fresh salsa, then melted some white American and made some homemade queso, all wrapped up in warm tortilla. F-I-R-E 🔥🔥🔥

It was so good Jr woke up this morning and ate another one for breakfast. No greater compliment to the chef than somebody wanting morning after leftovers.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/20/20 05:57 PM

El Barrio; some of the best food in Birmingham.
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/23/20 12:12 PM

There is NO Messican food in AL after spending TOO much time on the border. But, there was a place in downtown Albertsville that had some mighty fine Mex tasting food. Don’t know the name but it was a cross from a pizza joint I believe.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Best Mexican Food - 09/24/20 01:04 AM

Little bitty place in Cuba, New Mexico.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Best Mexican Food - 10/02/20 09:32 PM

Most of you know I grew up in Arizona, and like to eat so I know Mexican food. None I've had in Alabama is good. Some is good for around here. It just isn't the same when it isn't prepared all by hand with fresh ingredients and Mamacita's sweat rolling off her forehead into the mixture.

I love authentic Mexican but the taco trucks are about as close as they come.
Posted By: Whild_Bill

Re: Best Mexican Food - 10/02/20 10:04 PM

Taco Casa hot tacos I odder them by the dozen usually a lot of Mexicans eating in there
Posted By: Rutabaga

Re: Best Mexican Food - 10/02/20 11:27 PM

Worked and stayed in Sweetwater, Texas fora total of two-two and a half years. Loved it, great authentic Mexican food.

Re: Best Mexican Food - 10/05/20 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Whild_Bill
Taco Casa hot tacos I odder them by the dozen usually a lot of Mexicans eating in there

rofl
Posted By: imadeerhntr

Re: Best Mexican Food - 10/06/20 01:31 AM

Tacos loco just past Sammys on the left and a food truck on 31 just south of marks and north of milos and Dos Hermanos is good also. I like dis hermanos sabiche
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Best Mexican Food - 10/12/20 03:17 PM

Anybody know a good one around prattville area? We prefer Mexico tipico and cucos (salsa). Yall got me wanting to drive up to try that dos hermanos. Those pictures in their fb page making my mouth water

Re: Best Mexican Food - 10/12/20 03:44 PM

Went to Arab Saturday to buy some pumpkins and stopped at Speedy Gonzolez' tacos in Boaz.. Awesome and cheap ! They also have homemade Tamales.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM