Aldeer.com

Struggle Meals on the Coast...

Posted By: Irishguy

Struggle Meals on the Coast... - 01/22/20 11:33 PM

I guess by now you know that Mrs. Irish and I both like to cook and have a low tolerance for most bad food. Well the last 2 weeks I've been on the road and I've been needing some us time if you know what I mean. Plus we've been needing to get down to Mexico Beach to check on our property since the storm and just basically get a feel for the area and see which direction it's heading down there. So Friday I met her at the beach for a few days of R&R.

The good part is that we found a nice townhouse to stay in that has been completely refurbished just across from the beach. The bad news is that there are almost no restaurants at all up and running. So as per usual we plan on cooking most of our meals down there.

I don't know about y'all, but when we go down to the beach we bring food and just plan to cook most of our food and go out a few times. The problem that we face is that we are old and set in our ways and most condo owners must not know how to cook or don't care and you usually have some pretty slim pickin's when it comes to cookware. We try to make do...

Smash burgers in some kind of crappy skillet:

[Linked Image]

You gotta toast the buns with butter:

[Linked Image]

You gotta have fixin's:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When you let your wife make breakfast, this is the kind of stuff you get... Fruit!

[Linked Image]

We did get away to the Apalachicola oyster cookoff and had some beers from Oyster City Brewery and some fried oysters and shrimp from the event.

[Linked Image]

Followed that up with something healthy for dinner: Chicken, quinoa and a Greek salad...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You can tell I had a little more input on this breakfast: Ham, taters, eggs, and toast...

[Linked Image]

I finally got some raw oysters down at St. Joe Beach. Shipwreck, thankfully, is back and serving good food as usual...

[Linked Image]

I got us a couple of dozen, a couple of drinks and we headed home to cook some ribeyes on a chilly night...

Re: Struggle Meals on the Coast... - 01/22/20 11:40 PM

Pretty sunset coming out of Shipwreck...

[Linked Image]

I can't believe I cooked ribeyes this good in a crappy non-stick skillet...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Struggle Meals on the Coast... - 01/23/20 01:56 AM

Dangitman
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Struggle Meals on the Coast... - 01/23/20 02:06 PM

nice!
Posted By: hallb

Re: Struggle Meals on the Coast... - 01/23/20 02:34 PM

I figured pros like ya'll carried your own cookware smile
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Struggle Meals on the Coast... - 01/23/20 03:05 PM

At least a couple cast iron skillets!

Re: Struggle Meals on the Coast... - 01/23/20 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by hallb

Originally Posted by trlrdrdave
At least a couple cast iron skillets!

After this trip we will be... Seriously. I'm adding cast iron to the travel list. We already carry our own chef's knife and sharpener.

One year in Savannah, we actually cooked an entire thanksgiving meal in a toaster oven. (The oven in the 1850's townhouse where were were staying was broken.) The boy's have said repeatedly that that was one of the best Thanksgiving meals ever. grin

Re: Struggle Meals on the Coast... - 01/23/20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by hallb

i definitely do; my #10 vintage Lodge skillet will see active duty this year ... i also bring the stuff to make my own coffee, too -- my own beans, grinder, and either my brewer or french press ... i'm anal about good coffee in the morning!

Re: Struggle Meals on the Coast... - 01/23/20 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude
...i'm anal about good coffee in the morning!

They sell beans the come out of a cat's ass.

Re: Struggle Meals on the Coast... - 01/23/20 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Irishguy

ok - i'm not THAT anal wink and yes, i've heard about monkey butt beans & i have no interest in any of that ... it could be fantastic, but i'd never be able to drink it & get that image out of my head
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Struggle Meals on the Coast... - 01/24/20 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Irishguy

ok - i'm not THAT anal wink and yes, i've heard about monkey butt beans & i have no interest in any of that ... it could be fantastic, but i'd never be able to drink it & get that image out of my head

I just want to know who the first IDOT is that thought it was a good idea to make coffee from monkey turd beans. Some good drugs had to be involved.

Re: Struggle Meals on the Coast... - 01/24/20 02:32 PM

no doubt about it!! LOL
Posted By: lances

Re: Struggle Meals on the Coast... - 01/25/20 02:37 PM

Wow
© 2024 ALDEER.COM