Aldeer.com

Fun w/Hammered Iron -

Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Fun w/Hammered Iron - - 01/16/20 02:42 PM

acquired this skillet over 2 years ago; cleaned it up & had it as a display piece for quite some time in my kitchen ... decided to pull it out & cook with it, for fun; made a lil breakfast for dinner last nite ... supposedly these "ugly" hammered pieces were made by unknown foundries in the New England area back in the day; this one came with a lot of about 16 skillets i got a while back ... very thick bottom, and smooth as a baby's butt on the cooking surface

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Irishguy

Re: Fun w/Hammered Iron - - 01/17/20 12:22 AM

That's a really pretty skillet. Kind of like a Brute De Forge knife.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Fun w/Hammered Iron - - 01/17/20 02:45 AM

Why would a skillet made by a casting process have hammer marks in it?
Posted By: Irishguy

Re: Fun w/Hammered Iron - - 01/17/20 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
Why would a skillet made by a casting process have hammer marks in it?

I was wondering that myself. Apparently it's just decorative and it actually molded in...

From the Cast Iron Collector: http://www.castironcollector.com/hammered.php
"If you have collected vintage cast iron cookware for even a short time, you're bound to have come across a pan with a "hammered" finish. Like plating, a hammered finish was intended to give a more upscale appearance to the cookware. The dimpled finish mimicked that of more finely-made service ware.
Hand hammering was a common decorative technique on pieces made of softer materials like brass, copper, and tin. The metalsmith would spend a great deal of time and effort to meticulously create the hundreds if not thousands of same-sized impressions on each piece.
"Hammered" cast iron, and cast aluminum as well, differs in that the dimpling is molded in, rather than applied afterwards. The type of iron typically used to make pots and pans is not malleable enough to be hammered, to say nothing of the time and enormous expense a skilled craftsman's labors would add to each relatively inexpensive piece. Therefore, it is the pattern which is hammered, and whose characteristics are then transferred to each mold.
Among hammered pieces, skillets and dutch ovens were relatively common, often being plated as well. Other hammered pieces more rarely found include waffle irons and corn stick pans.
Variations in the hammering style are seen from one manufacturer to another. The dimple edges may be sharp and distinct, or more subdued. Chicago Hardware Foundry and Wagner pieces typically have larger indentations, about 1/4" to 3/8" in diameter."

Re: Fun w/Hammered Iron - - 01/17/20 02:20 PM

^^^ Irishguy nailed it -- it's simply a cosmetic deal ... out in the wild, i don't run into hammered pieces that much down here ... below is a beautiful dutch oven a lady had in the Huntsville area a year or so ago that i made a play on, but ultimately did not buy ... she wanted quite a bit of change for it

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JDR4Bama

Re: Fun w/Hammered Iron - - 01/18/20 05:59 AM

I'm gonna mail you a new potholder! Good looking pan.

Re: Fun w/Hammered Iron - - 01/18/20 02:22 PM

LOL thank you!! that potholder has seen some serious miles! 😂
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Fun w/Hammered Iron - - 01/18/20 09:49 PM

Done to make look upscale for the poor folks
© 2024 ALDEER.COM