Aldeer.com

Cast Iron Fillets...

Posted By: Irishguy

Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/15/19 11:37 AM

People here always complain about Walmart steaks, so I guess I lucked out last night. I had to stop by the Walmart east of Rome on highway 411 yesterday on the way to the cabin from one of our plants I had been working at that day. I needed to pick up a few things for the cabin. So I rolled my shopping cart by the meat department and saw quite a few steaks on clearance. Some were the Wagu beef and others were Angus fillets and yet others were these two beauties. They were in the black styrofoam trays. Each one individually wrapped. I think these were less than $5 each. I picked up all the clearance Wagu and Fillets they had.

Anyway, Mrs. Irish and I met up at the cabin and after we got everything unloaded she went about making some twice baked potatoes out of some leftover mashed potatoes we had, and we warmed up some leftover green beans and I salted and peppered the steaks. When the potatoes were almost ready I heated up a skillet with some olive oil (Normally I would have used avocado oil here, but I didn't have any.) Once these went about 5 minutes on one side I had Mrs. Irish chop up some fresh herbs and garlic. Once I flipped them I threw all that in the skillet along with about 2 tablespoons of butter. As they finished cooking a kept spooning the oil, butter, garlic and herb over them. When they reached about 120 degrees I pulled the off to rest for a minute or two.

They turned out fantastic. One of the better steaks I've had lately...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Rutabaga

Re: Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/15/19 11:55 AM

Mouth watering
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/15/19 04:49 PM

Last ribeye I bought at Walmarks was horrible. Tough and full of gristle. I quit trying to eat it about half way through, but my dog sure liked it.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/15/19 06:23 PM

good lookin' piece of iron, IG!

Re: Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/15/19 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

We have two up here that are as smooth as glass on the inside. One is a #5 and one is a #8. No other markings on either one, but both are great skillets.
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/15/19 07:01 PM

Now that is my kind of meal. I usually sear mine at high almost smoking skillet heat for only a minute on each side then transfer them to the over to finish off until they hit about 115-120 and then let them rest for about 5 minutes.

You going to make me stop by the meat store now. Damn, those look so good.
Posted By: CAM

Re: Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/15/19 07:14 PM

beers thumbup

Re: Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/15/19 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Irishguy

We have two up here that are as smooth as glass on the inside. One is a #5 and one is a #8. No other markings on either one, but both are great skillets.

i'd have to look at my iron when i get home - but i *believe* that is an old Lodge, based on the shape of the handle & shape/size of the pour spouts ... is the 5 & 8 written on the back at the 12 o'clock position? see below - that's a little #3 i restored over the summer ... note the similarities ... BTW, vintage Lodge is killer iron ... my workhouse skillet is a #10 i picked up this past summer, as well

[Linked Image]
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/15/19 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by muzziehead
Now that is my kind of meal. I usually sear mine at high almost smoking skillet heat for only a minute on each side then transfer them to the over to finish off until they hit about 115-120 and then let them rest for about 5 minutes.

You going to make me stop by the meat store now. Damn, those look so good.

That's how I do them, but don't get the skillet quite as hot and go two minutes a side, finish in the oven at 400 for about 5-7 minutes depending on cut, then let it rest. No sense in firing up the grill.
Posted By: William

Re: Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/15/19 10:21 PM

I've always grilled my steaks. I need to try a cast iron steak and see about it.

Re: Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/16/19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Irishguy

i'd have to look at my iron when i get home - but i *believe* that is an old Lodge, based on the shape of the handle & shape/size of the pour spouts ... is the 5 & 8 written on the back at the 12 o'clock position? see below - that's a little #3 i restored over the summer ... note the similarities ... BTW, vintage Lodge is killer iron ... my workhouse skillet is a #10 i picked up this past summer, as well

[Linked Image]

I think you are right. Built back when Lodge actually made cast iron cookware instead of just casting cast iron cookware.

Re: Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/16/19 05:52 PM

yes; the old handmade (using sand molds) Lodge is top notch cast iron ...
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/17/19 12:19 AM

I haven't ventured into the old Lodge yet but I've been pleased enough with the new stuff.
Cooked some chicken tortilla soup in my double dutch and it turned out quite tasty.

Re: Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/17/19 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by AU7MM08

I haven't ventured into the old Lodge yet but I've been pleased enough with the new stuff.
Cooked some chicken tortilla soup in my double dutch and it turned out quite tasty.

What you are looking for in a cast iron skillet is a super smooth interior finish. If you buy one that doesn't have a smooth finish you can use a grinder to smooth it out and then re-season it.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/17/19 11:35 PM

Looks good id weigh about 600 lbs if I could cook like that!

Re: Cast Iron Fillets... - 11/19/19 03:15 PM

i have an old Lodge set from the 1940's - handmade with molds - that i've considered selling ... thing is - i won't give them away ... they're smooth as a baby's butt, and in perfect shape ...
© 2024 ALDEER.COM