Aldeer.com

Lamb Chop Stew...

Posted By: Irishguy

Lamb Chop Stew... - 10/27/19 10:35 PM

So I found some lamb chops in the back of the cabin freezer and since they were older, I didn't want to just make lamb chops out of them and decided to make a stew instead. I thawed them, rinsed them off, then patted them dry. I seasoned them with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and parsley and let them sit for a couple of hours for the salt to pull the moisture out. Then I tossed them in flour and browned them in the Dutch oven in olive oil.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Beverages were Sweetwater 420 Strain Stout and Wild Turkey 101.

[Linked Image]

I finely chopped some onion, fresh garlic, carrots and celery and added that to the lamb for it all to braise along with some tomato sauce and beef broth for a couple of hours until the meet was falling off the bones.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I pulled all the meat off the bones, tossed the bones, added more carrots, celery and some potatoes and let it all simmer for about another hour until the veggies were tender. I think Mrs. Irish threw in some fresh herbs from our cabin herb garden along the way and we served it with some crusty French bread. Good eats.

[Linked Image]

The bones cooking for a couple of hours add a nice richness to this stew.
Posted By: William

Re: Lamb Chop Stew... - 10/29/19 05:32 PM

Love lamb chops. I haven't tried braising them down to a stew. Great idea!
Posted By: willdo22

Re: Lamb Chop Stew... - 10/30/19 02:02 AM

That looks good

Re: Lamb Chop Stew... - 10/30/19 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by William

Well... Normally I wouldn't have done it, but these were kind of old and had been in the freezer a while. Hence the stew idea. I did them kind of how I make my Ox Tail stew.

I forgot to mention that I used about a half a cup of red wine in there too. Oh and tomatoes and tomato sauce. And beef broth.

Braising them with the bones really makes the dish in my opinion.
Posted By: James

Re: Lamb Chop Stew... - 10/30/19 12:19 PM

I would try it. But i honestly i reckon I'm not a lamb person, I've tried it on several occasions at different establishments, and i don't like the strong flavor.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Lamb Chop Stew... - 10/30/19 03:39 PM

Looks great. Lamb Braised in red wine. I'm in every time.

We try to buy a lamb every spring, and it seems to disappear quick.
Posted By: William

Re: Lamb Chop Stew... - 10/30/19 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by James
But i honestly i reckon I'm not a lamb person, I've tried it on several occasions at different establishments, and i don't like the strong flavor.

My wife HATED lamb. Then I started getting lamb chops from the butcher down the street. I tried a bunch of recipes until I found this one: BGE Lamb Pops. She said last night that it was her favorite recipe of mine. Maybe one day I'll make the sauce that goes with it........
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Lamb Chop Stew... - 12/03/19 12:55 AM

Thanks for the inspiration
Made my own version

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Lamb Chop Stew... - 12/03/19 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by William

This ^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Lamb Chop Stew... - 12/03/19 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by cartervj
Thanks for the inspiration
Made my own version

[Linked Image]

Awesome job. That looks better than mine.

I'm thinking about making an Ox Tail stew this weekend. Good cold weather eats.
Posted By: ts1979flh

Re: Lamb Chop Stew... - 12/03/19 07:02 PM

I've got some beef shanks in the freezer. I need to do something with them. I'm thinking something like the lamb stew might work.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Lamb Chop Stew... - 12/04/19 02:50 AM

I'm not sure about that Irishguy, you all are knocking it out with your cooking threads.

You look into that flatiron pepper co, they have some blends with pepper flakes only and several levels of heat. The smoky one shown went well with the dish. Another note, venison should interchange with lamb I would think.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM