Aldeer.com

Ribs

Posted By: Ben2

Ribs - 10/21/19 03:36 AM

I have done a few baby back rib cooks on my new pit boss pellet smoker and they have been pretty good, the last one was dang good! I am trying to dial in times and temps and runs etc. I cooked baby backs the first couple cooks, then I bought some st Louis ribs on accident. Best I can tell the st Louis is a baby back that a lot of the meat and fat has been trimmed off. Is that correct? Do these type ribs need to cook at a much shorter time and lower temp than baby backs since they don't have as much fat,?
Posted By: James

Re: Ribs - 10/21/19 03:43 AM

St Louis should've had more meat & fat, Baby Backs are leaner cut of meat. The St Louis is all i cook.......
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Ribs - 10/21/19 03:44 AM

StLouis ribs are spare ribs that have been cut and trimmed into a perfect rectangle that lays flat while cooking because the bones aren’t curved like baby backs ... preferred cut for competition ribs
Posted By: Irishguy

Re: Ribs - 10/21/19 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by BCLC
StLouis ribs are spare ribs that have been cut and trimmed into a perfect rectangle that lays flat while cooking because the bones aren’t curved like baby backs ... preferred cut for competition ribs

Exactly. Usually they cost more too.
Posted By: inatree

Re: Ribs - 10/22/19 01:18 AM

St Louis is all i cook, even if I enter a contest.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Ribs - 10/22/19 01:21 PM

i guess i'll be the contrarian LOL i like baby backs personally ... i slow cook at 225 for at least 4 hrs, and then start checking them every 30 mins or so for the "bend test" -- IOW when you try to pick them up, the meat begins to break apart ...

some ribs are better than others -- personally, i cannot stand Smithfield ribs; i prefer to cook Winn Dixie packaged ribs as they've turned out a lot better for me than other brands i've tried ...

YMMV
Posted By: charlie

Re: Ribs - 10/22/19 01:53 PM

I prefer the baby backs as well. Just always turn out better for me when I cook ribs. They cost a little more but it's not much for something I only cook once a month or so.
Posted By: BPI

Re: Ribs - 10/22/19 02:03 PM

I am a fan of baby back myself.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Ribs - 10/22/19 05:01 PM

Another vote for baby backs. I do them a bit higher than 225 b/c I think my pellet smoker runs cooler than what it's telling me it is. I usually do some combo unwrapped/wrapped - maybe 2-1-2 or just 3-1-1 with the middle being wrapped. Any longer than that wrapped and they get too much fall apart. The last hour or two back on the heat unwrapped does help to tighten them back up.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Ribs - 10/23/19 11:33 AM

I don't buy baby backs, too expensive for the amount of meat on them. I buy the full slab. I cut the brisket bone off and what I call the thin flank meat and cook that separately. That thin meat is the best part. 3 times the meat on full slabs and just as tender, if you cook them right. You have to get ribs to 180 degrees internal temp for them to be tender.
Posted By: Ant67

Re: Ribs - 10/23/19 03:08 PM

I’m done with low and slow. Cook for 30 min at 400 and then wrap for 30 min. Unwrap and sauce for about 15 min or until you get desired color. Try to get a little char while I’m at it. Dreamland style except more tender because they don’t wrap. Cook St Louis spares 90% of time

Re: Ribs - 10/23/19 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ant67
I’m done with low and slow. Cook for 30 min at 400 and then wrap for 30 min. Unwrap and sauce for about 15 min or until you get desired color. Try to get a little char while I’m at it. Dreamland style except more tender because they don’t wrap. Cook St Louis spares 90% of time

you do this in your oven?

Re: Ribs - 10/23/19 09:40 PM

No BGE.
Posted By: William

Re: Ribs - 10/24/19 04:33 PM

I prefer St Louis style ribs. Usually do a 3/1/.5 with them. Beef ribs are better than pork.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Ribs - 10/24/19 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by William
I prefer St Louis style ribs. Usually do a 3/1/.5 with them. Beef ribs are better than pork.

This is true, I've actually been doing more beef ribs lately than pork...it's just pork ribs are more readily available at every grocery store you walk into.
Posted By: blade

Re: Ribs - 10/24/19 06:44 PM

Beef ribs are great, but hard to find in my little neck of the woods.

Re: Ribs - 10/24/19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ant67

I the saucing is really mopping. I mix a third each of water, white vinegar and your favorite sauce. (Preferably not too sweet). Mop and flip every 5 min until desired color
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Ribs - 10/24/19 07:45 PM

Last weekend I had fried baby back ribs for the first time.

I was skeptical but they turned out great. We used a standup double basket fryer and put plain (unseasoned) cutup ribs into peanut oil on 375* for 8-9 minutes. Let them drip then dumped in cooler and added the rub seasonings and stirred them around to coat them. We let them sit for 15 minutes. Then coated in Archibald sauce.

They were not fall off the bone but were really good. and it was 30 minutes start to finish. I plan to do them at the camp house this fall.

Re: Ribs - 10/25/19 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by sumpter_al

I was skeptical but they turned out great. We used a standup double basket fryer and put plain (unseasoned) cutup ribs into peanut oil on 375* for 8-9 minutes. Let them drip then dumped in cooler and added the rub seasonings and stirred them around to coat them. We let them sit for 15 minutes. Then coated in Archibald sauce.

They were not fall off the bone but were really good. and it was 30 minutes start to finish. I plan to do them at the camp house this fall.

hmm interesting ... how hard were they to get off the bone?
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Ribs - 10/25/19 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude
Originally Posted by sumpter_al

hmm interesting ... how hard were they to get off the bone?

Not bad. About like a fried pork chop. Not fall off bone but for the trade off in time it is something I will do this fall at camp.
Posted By: James

Re: Ribs - 10/26/19 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by William
Beef ribs are better than pork.

Not to me they ain't lol...I love some good beef, but when it comes to ribs i want pork
© 2024 ALDEER.COM