Aldeer.com

Morel shrooms

Posted By: rackhunter'

Morel shrooms - 04/16/19 10:54 PM

I’ve just recently discovered these delicious wild mushrooms. While I was out west hunting turkeys the guys land I was on ask me about them and if I’d be interested in carrying a bag of them home. Sure, he told me how to prepare them and after 34 years on earth there’s not many things I’ve not tried to eat so I was excited to try something new. They turned out great and now wish I had another bag of them . Battered and fried
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: top cat

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/16/19 11:14 PM

I had some hunting out there few years ago. They where great. Don't think they grow around here cause I don't recall even seeing one. Wonder if they can be purchased and if so there are probably dried and high as a cats back.
Posted By: bama1971

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/16/19 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by top cat

I had some hunting out there few years ago. They where great. Don't think they grow around here cause I don't recall even seeing one. Wonder if they can be purchased and if so there are probably dried and high as a cats back.

Got a buddy on east Alabama/Georgia line who picks them all the time.
Posted By: Darrylcom

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/16/19 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by bama1971

North east Alabama? I’ve never seen or heard of these. I would be game to try one since the others didn’t die.
Posted By: bama1971

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/16/19 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Darrylcom

North east Alabama? I’ve never seen or heard of these. I would be game to try one since the others didn’t die.

No, south of there. Cusseta/Valley area
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/16/19 11:34 PM

You can buy them fresh on ebay this time of year. Never done it but I've considered it. I've always heard how good they are
Posted By: rackhunter'

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/16/19 11:37 PM

I was in south central Oklahoma, we picked them along the creek. About as many as you would want. From my understanding our climate is right just like out west but they grow around and under a certain type of tree we just don’t have many of here.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/16/19 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Darrylcom

There's some in Jackson County. I hear around B'ham is as far South as they grow. Look on a South to East facing slope around the base of Ash trees or stumps growing in fairly good soil. The "growing season " is very short.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/17/19 01:14 AM

They are great. Haven't had any for close to a decade. I have some buddies who have some honey holes where they always get a few every spring. One spring they picked 4 plastic sacks out of one spot. For those that know, that's some big bucks.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/17/19 11:25 AM

I've always wanted to try them but Ala. isn't ideal for them.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/17/19 02:18 PM

I'd always been told TN was about as far south as they grew....would love to find some around here and I try to halfway keep an eye out for them during turkey season, but never seen one.
Posted By: lances

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/17/19 07:59 PM

Dry land fish!
Posted By: Dallas County

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/17/19 08:08 PM

I just want to know if you really have an industrial fryer like that in your house!!
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/17/19 08:09 PM

They are here. I figured this would be a good year for them but I didn’t even find enough to mess with. No point in looking now what few there were have been gone for 10 days or so. Somebody hunting in Kentucky this weekend might find a few.
Disturbed ground in good dirt is where you will find them. Doesn’t have to be rich enough to grow ginseng but good black dirt. If you are north of Birmingham and you have lots of may apples on a place you probably have a few morels. They will never grow on a place that water stands on so you need some hills
Posted By: Ruger7mag

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/17/19 09:26 PM

We have them in middle TN. Picked almost 200 this year and sold 4 pounds of them. They are all but done here.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/17/19 09:56 PM

How much did a pound run......??
Posted By: Ruger7mag

Re: Morel shrooms - 04/18/19 12:14 PM

How much did a pound run......??

I sold for $30 a pound just to move them quick. A buddy of mine has sold several for $40 a pound this year.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM