Aldeer.com

Crawfish boil recipes

Posted By: Dkhargroves

Crawfish boil recipes - 04/07/19 04:29 PM

Anyone care to share? Iā€™m doing a batch I caught over past week here in town along with taters, sausage, skrimps, corn, onions, shrooms, garlic and lemons.

Seasoning I plan on using is half and half Louisiana bag seasoning along with swamp fire. Cook them for 3-5 mins then let soak for close to 30. Will take pics
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/07/19 05:05 PM

I cooked 25 pounds yesterday. I heated up 5 gal of water with lemon, onions, seasoning, garlic and poured it in a cooler. Then boiled crawfish in clean water for 5 min and dumped crawfish in the cooler, adding shrimp, corn, potatoes, mushrooms in also from another pot. Let sit for 1 hr shocked shocked and ate. Damn good.

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/07/19 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
I cooked 25 pounds yesterday. I heated up 5 gal of water with lemon, onions, seasoning, garlic and poured it in a cooler. Then boiled crawfish in clean water for 5 min and dumped crawfish in the cooler, adding shrimp, corn, potatoes, mushrooms in also from another pot. Let sit for 1 hr shocked shocked and ate. Damn good.

That does sound damn good. Did the crawfish have any flavor since you boiled them in plain water?
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/07/19 09:04 PM

That sounds delicious! Very similar to how we do it...hardest part is keeping folks outta the cooler during that last hour of soaking when the magic happens.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/07/19 09:56 PM

Do you put them in salt water to purge them first?

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/07/19 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dkhargroves

That does sound damn good. Did the crawfish have any flavor since you boiled them in plain water?

the freshly hot crawfish when thrown in the warm slurry water suck the flavor into the crawdads. They weren't as hot as I have fixed but they were damn good.

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/07/19 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by jacannon
Do you put them in salt water to purge them first?

no, just washed fresh hose water over them for 30 min to clean.

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/07/19 10:36 PM

fixing leftovers into gumbo for tonight......
Posted By: James

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/08/19 01:31 AM

We always toss in some brussel sprouts šŸ‘
Posted By: bama1971

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/08/19 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by James

brussels & artichokes are both good ads, and easily avoidable if someone doesn't care for them
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/11/19 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by bama1971
Originally Posted by James

brussels & artichokes are both good ads, and easily avoidable if someone doesn't care for them

Eggs!
Posted By: Ant67

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/11/19 08:40 PM

Turnip roots
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/11/19 08:59 PM

Perch recommended to me once to throw some in chicken/turkey quarters in. It was a big hit with our crew
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/11/19 11:34 PM

Gotta have shrooms
Posted By: quickshot

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/12/19 01:00 PM

I use a 80qt pot I like to use two of the 4.5lb zatarains extra spicy or one orginal and one spicy, I then add 4-6 dark beers truck stop honey,yingling etc 6 large onion quartered 4-6 lemon depending on there size cut in half and 4 cloves garlic bring to a boil. Meanwhile start getting the other ingredients ready I usually do new potatoes, corn, and sausage first and just before there done through in some mushrooms. Once there ready I like to pull them and place them in a cooler to stay warm while the crawfish,shrimp,crab whatever you got left to cook. It doesn't really take to long for them to cook just before you know there done I like to turn the cooker off place the lid on it and let them sit and soak up the juices and spices for bout 15minutes take out toss on the table or cooler and dig in. The beer and lemon really seem to help soften the shells up and to me helps add to the flavor.
Posted By: JBrown1975

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/12/19 02:23 PM

I like to add a stick of butter or a big shot of vegetable oil to the pot. Seems to help get spices into shells for more flavor.

Other veggie ideas - green beans, asparagus, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, sweet potatoes, almost any firm veggie is good in the boil water.

In addition to lemons, try oranges in your pot. Citrus taste is great. Pineapple is not bad either.

Eggs and extra potatoes - boil eggs in the shell and cook extra potatoes - save and make potato salad the next day. Seasoned potatoes make it awesome. Not sure the eggs really pick anything up extra but they will be done and ready for the salad.

Someone mentioned leg quarters. I have done just chicken thighs. Also have done frog legs. Both are good. Leftover chicken will make good spicy chicken salad too.

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 04/13/19 02:22 PM

All great ideas. Love the next day tater salad idea!
Posted By: snakebit

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 05/08/19 08:44 PM

Any way to get a little more elaboration on this method?
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 05/08/19 11:20 PM

Lots of really good recipes on YouTube. Check em out
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Crawfish boil recipes - 05/12/19 02:31 AM

No Jmud, I recommended throwing a turkey breast into the boil. It makes some awesome sandwiches the next few days.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM