Aldeer.com

Y'all talk to me about smoking a fresh ham

Posted By: straycat

Y'all talk to me about smoking a fresh ham - 12/05/18 06:06 PM

I'm not a stranger to grills and smokers and have had great success with smoking pork, chicken, turkey, brisket, etc. But I've never tried to smoke a fresh ham. I grew up on a farm and we had 200 head of hogs. I freaking love ham. My grandfather had a smokehouse that he had just right. But I was young and didn't really pay attention. Salt, Hickory, and I was to not play in the smokehouse....my memory of the process. My memory of eating was just pure goodness.

So...guys I need a good recipe for smoking a fresh ham--not in a smokehouse, but a backyard smoker.
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Y'all talk to me about smoking a fresh ham - 12/05/18 06:34 PM

straycat are you going to cure it in salt first or just smoke it? I've done both ways. Cured in salt came out way better. More than likely that is what your grandfather did.

Posted By: JBrown1975

Re: Y'all talk to me about smoking a fresh ham - 12/05/18 06:44 PM

Stray, brine (salt and sugar base, plus anything else you like to flavor with - maybe syrup, sorghum, garlic, orange juice, dr pepper, root beer, whatever sounds good to you) the ham. Figure on leaving it in brine for a day for every 2# of ham weight - example, 10 lb ham stays in brine for 5 days or so. Pull from brine and season, I like a little salt and a heavy dose of course black pepper and cayenne pepper. Put it on the smoker low and slow and take it to about 150 - 160 degrees and enjoy it. You can glaze at end of smoke if you like a glaze. Let glaze set about last 20 - 30 minutes of cook.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Y'all talk to me about smoking a fresh ham - 12/05/18 07:12 PM

Tim Farmer there puts on a great show.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Y'all talk to me about smoking a fresh ham - 12/05/18 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by ParrotHead89
Tim Farmer there puts on a great show.

Used to enjoy his show but don't think it's been on in a while. I tried a fresh ham once without any prep. It turned into BBQ.

How did he lose use of his right arm....

Re: Y'all talk to me about smoking a fresh ham - 12/05/18 10:52 PM

motorcycle

Re: Y'all talk to me about smoking a fresh ham - 12/05/18 10:53 PM

i've not seen it on tv in a while..but the same ones are on youtube
Posted By: blade

Re: Y'all talk to me about smoking a fresh ham - 12/06/18 02:16 AM

It won’t be as good as you remember, haha. Momma’s Daddy’s and grandparents cooking cannot be replicated!!! But still will be great. Good luck.
Posted By: Cynical

Re: Y'all talk to me about smoking a fresh ham - 12/06/18 02:41 AM

You have to cure it, or it’ll just be bbq. Gray vs pink.

Hank Parker’s Shaw's recipe is a good one. Brine it longer than you think is necessary to get the cure down near the bone.

This is for a fresh ham, not one already cured.

I like "Bear Carver's" ham glaze from smoking meat forums at the end of the cook or when you reheat it after smoking.
Posted By: Darrylcom

Re: Y'all talk to me about smoking a fresh ham - 12/06/18 10:17 PM

I did a “double smoked” ham for Thanksgiving. I bought a precooked, smoked, spiral cut half ham. Then I rubbed it completely with yellow mustard and seasoned with the holy gospel. Then smoked it, when it come up to temp o glazed it with sugar free syrup, you can use regular maple syrup if not doing low carb.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Damyankee

Re: Y'all talk to me about smoking a fresh ham - 12/07/18 02:46 AM

That looks damn good. Nice job! thumbup
Posted By: dozier

Re: Y'all talk to me about smoking a fresh ham - 12/07/18 04:13 PM

A double smoked ham is awesome!
Posted By: BrotherTurtle

Re: Y'all talk to me about smoking a fresh ham - 12/17/18 07:14 PM

The last one I did, I smoked it for 2 or 3 hours, then wrapped it in foil like I do with a Boston butt. Before I closed the foil, I poured about 3 cups of pineapple juice all over it and then sealed the foil. It was great. But I think I will add some salt next time.
Posted By: straycat

Re: Y'all talk to me about smoking a fresh ham - 01/19/19 02:35 AM

Thanks for the tips. Forgot I posted this and ran across it tonight.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM