Aldeer.com

Dry aging in the fridge

Posted By: Coosa1

Dry aging in the fridge - 11/06/18 05:21 PM

I know a lot of guys who process their own stuff let their deer hang in the cooler before they break it down and package it, which I do when I can. But for the times when you don't have time or are away from home and have to break it down and pack it in a cooler do you guys dry age in the fridge? I read an article on it the other day where the writer stated that they did it on a piece by piece basis on racks in a cookie sheet and for up to 20-25 days. I've got a decent sized roast thawing out now and I'm gonna try to age it like that for a couple weeks to see how it does. Anyone have any input on it?
Posted By: Heath

Re: Dry aging in the fridge - 11/06/18 05:48 PM

I don't think you can dry age in a normal fridge that has not been modified for that specific purpose. Too much moisture. I have seen some videos on modifying small fridges for dry aging but seems people had mixed results. I would be interested if you have modified one and had success.

Re: Dry aging in the fridge - 11/06/18 06:05 PM

I'm pretty sure the article I read was talking about using a normal fridge, I'll see if I can find it. Not saying you're wrong, I just want to double check.

Re: Dry aging in the fridge - 11/06/18 06:13 PM

Ok so upon further review it seems I have my articles and podcasts mixed up. The article I was thinking of was on wet aging for up to 20-25 days in vacuum bags. It was actually on the MeatEater podcast where I was getting the dry aging in the fridge from. Rinella was saying that he does it the way I originally described for up to two weeks.
Posted By: Daggerz

Re: Dry aging in the fridge - 11/06/18 06:32 PM

One of the best back straps, that I've ever eaten, was "dry aged" on a wine rack, in a refrigerator. He just always puts a cookie sheet, or something underneath, for the drippings.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Dry aging in the fridge - 11/06/18 08:02 PM

They do make some special bags you can use that are designed for the fridge, I've heard good reviews for them, never used myself:

https://umaidry.com/collections/steak

Re: Dry aging in the fridge - 11/06/18 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by hallb
They do make some special bags you can use that are designed for the fridge, I've heard good reviews for them, never used myself:

https://umaidry.com/collections/steak

Good find there. I might have to give those a try.
Posted By: chill

Re: Dry aging in the fridge - 11/08/18 03:05 AM

I have use a regular frig for years with good results. I have old wire shelves raised on wood stripesblocks. Age between 7 to 14 days. Try to keep temp around 38 degrees.
Posted By: bama1157

Re: Dry aging in the fridge - 11/08/18 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by chill
I have use a regular frig for years with good results. I have old wire shelves raised on wood stripesblocks. Age between 7 to 14 days. Try to keep temp around 38 degrees.

I have done it this way several times, it works good....
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Dry aging in the fridge - 11/08/18 11:05 PM

I set a backstrap on a spare grill grate in a cooler over ice for 10 days it was awesome, just trim the colored edges and cook. Have aged in a paper stack in the fridge as well worked just fine too!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM