Aldeer.com

Those “mock” fillets

Posted By: Darrylcom

Those “mock” fillets - 09/30/18 12:46 AM

I’m gonna cook a few I picked up from Publix. Gonna do a reverse sear. I usually only do real fillets so I will report back. Don’t think I’ve over salted these. I wash it off before cooking. They just set and soak.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 09/30/18 12:59 AM

I cooked some Thursday night and they had a really good flavor but they had a little connective tissue that you had to eat around

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 09/30/18 01:06 AM

I’m going to cook them just like a real fillet. I’ll report back. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 09/30/18 01:34 AM

Completely coating in salt and letting sit for a few hours will help tenderize them.

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 09/30/18 01:40 AM

One hour per inch of thickness

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 09/30/18 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Darrylcom
One hour per inch of thickness

Yep. Coarse salt works even better.

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 09/30/18 02:29 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 09/30/18 03:43 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a mock filet?

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 09/30/18 01:11 PM

I don’t really know. Someone was talking about them a while back on here so when I seen them at the store I jumped on them.

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 09/30/18 01:13 PM

Here is the other thread discussing:
http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2539798#Post2539798

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 09/30/18 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by crenshawco
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a mock filet?

I guess it would be the triceps of the cow? Only way I know to describe it

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 09/30/18 06:57 PM

Well it was $7 for 3 nice ones. After eating it I would pay $20 next time for the same steaks. So they are good.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 10/01/18 12:26 AM

Daughter works at Publix as she said thry sell alot of them. Gonna have to try a few.

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 10/01/18 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by top cat
Daughter works at Publix as she said thry sell alot of them. Gonna have to try a few.

They don't always have them but they are a favorite of mine. It compares to a filet the way a chuck eye compares to a ribeye.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 10/02/18 01:45 AM

I've noticed that the price of these has been steadily going up lately. First ones were around $4, then $6 and the ones that I saw Saturday were $7. The meat market is playing the game of pricing according to demand.
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 10/02/18 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote
I've noticed that the price of these has been steadily going up lately. First ones were around $4, then $6 and the ones that I saw Saturday were $7. The meat market is playing the game of pricing according to demand.

Supply and demand unfortunately
Posted By: Powpow65

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 10/09/18 03:25 AM

Probably a baseball cut sirloin if I had to guess. Looks good
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 10/09/18 12:58 PM

Holy cow that is a ton of salt. You use a whole tub lol. Surprised you can even eat the sucker. The finished product does look tasty. Will have to try this.

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 10/09/18 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by 87dixieboy
Holy cow that is a ton of salt. You use a whole tub lol. Surprised you can even eat the sucker. The finished product does look tasty. Will have to try this.

You wash it off before you cook it. It tenderizes the meat.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 10/09/18 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote

I remember being able to get flank steaks for like 7 bucks. Then it became a pretty popular cut of meat and went to $18.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 10/09/18 01:48 PM

I bought a pack of 3 and cooked them like a normal steak. Seared over 600 deg grill to med rare. They weren't fit to eat. Maybe I just got a bad cut.
Posted By: Driveby

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 10/15/18 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by 3toe
I bought a pack of 3 and cooked them like a normal steak. Seared over 600 deg grill to med rare. They weren't fit to eat. Maybe I just got a bad cut.

Same here.

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 10/15/18 11:50 PM

I put mine in heavy salt for an hour and 20 minutes to tenderize, then washed the salt away. Sprinkle lightly with pepper. Put on a roasting rack above a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 250 degrees for 21-22 minutes. Take immediately to a medium hot cast iron skillet with a pat of butter or my favorite, ghee butter. Sear 1.5 minutes, rotate 90 degrees on same side continue searing for 1.5 minutes (3 mins total). Then repeat the sear on the other side (3 minutes total). Pull out of cast iron. Let rest for 5 minutes. If not good this way, something is wrong with the meat. I’ve cooked 3 times this way with the same results. It tastes similar to fillet, although not as good. It can’t at a quarter of the price, but it can fool people who don’t eat fillet all the time. Like I said before I would pay 3 times what it costs, but who ever is telling Publix that, please quit.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 10/16/18 02:45 PM

I bought some the other night for $4.49/lb and seared em just like a filet. I was pleasantly surprised

Re: Those “mock” fillets - 10/16/18 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by BrentM
I bought some the other night for $4.49/lb and seared em just like a filet. I was pleasantly surprised

They've got a little connective tissue in them sometime but I can deal with that for what they cost
© 2024 ALDEER.COM