Aldeer.com

Brunswick Stew

Posted By: Maggie123

Brunswick Stew - 09/17/18 09:01 PM

Do any of you make Brunswick stew in the fall?

I made a pot last week and dang if it did not turn out better than any I have made before..'

They say when the spoon can stand alone, it is done!!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Out back

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/17/18 09:35 PM

That looks fine.
Haven't made any for a while, but you done flung a craving on me!
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/17/18 09:41 PM

I'll make some.... if it ever cools off.
Posted By: inatree

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/17/18 10:25 PM

We love it. Be glad when it's cools off.
Posted By: quickshot

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/18/18 12:13 AM

Love some Brunswick stew thumbup never tried making it though mind posting up your recipe?
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/18/18 02:02 AM

Looks good, the best Brunswick stew I’ve ever ate came from a little store at the intersection of hwy10 and 69 called Compton’s, an old family recipe passed down through the years. They sold it in the fall for $30 a gallon and it was worth every penny too.

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/18/18 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by quickshot
Love some Brunswick stew thumbup never tried making it though mind posting up your recipe?

If you use a recipe..it ain't Brunswick Stew!
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/18/18 03:36 PM

Love the stuff, just can't eat it when it's 90 degrees. Yours looks mighty tasty!
Posted By: biglmbass

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/18/18 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by NWALJM
Love the stuff, just can't eat it when it's 90 degrees. Yours looks mighty tasty!

'zactly...
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/18/18 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by biglmbass

'zactly...

I've never understood that. I'll tear up a bowl of chili, stew, or soup anytime of the year.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/18/18 05:43 PM

When fall comes in about 10 or 12 more weeks, yeah.

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/18/18 09:20 PM

Lawsy honey, I don't have a recipe...I just start cooking and keep going till I think I got enuff stuff in there. Mine is primarily shredded meat with some veggies, just not a lot of em. I use lima beans or butter beans sometimes both, whole kernel corn, okra, tomatoes and potatoes but never overload the stew with them. I use lots of hot sauce, onions, garlic, celery and loads of spices. Rather than ketchup that lots of folks use, I use crushed tomatoes and sometimes a can of tomato paste if the taste needs it. My secret ingredients, that were given to me by an old friend or two are brown sugar, butter and molasses.

The stew above has beef roasts, chickens and pork loins in it...our venison is down to two tender loins and I was not about to put those in the stew!!!

Next time I make it, it might be totally different!! LOL!! Even so, the above ingredients are pretty much standard...
Posted By: Irishguy

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/20/18 10:14 AM

I love it. It's good for a change of pace in the fall from chili and stews and stuff.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/20/18 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Maggie123
The stew above has beef roasts, chickens and pork loins in it...our venison is down to two tender loins and I was not about to put those in the stew!!! Next time I make it, it might be totally different!! LOL!! Even so, the above ingredients are pretty much standard...

wow, never had brunswick stew with multiple meats in it; very cool! sounds great!
Posted By: Bar270

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/20/18 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Reloader79
Looks good, the best Brunswick stew I’ve ever ate came from a little store at the intersection of hwy10 and 69 called Compton’s, an old family recipe passed down through the years. They sold it in the fall for $30 a gallon and it was worth every penny too.

Comptons had some good food

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/21/18 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude
The stew above has beef roasts, chickens and pork loins in it...our venison is down to two tender loins and I was not about to put those in the stew!!! Next time I make it, it might be totally different!! LOL!! Even so, the above ingredients are pretty much standard...

wow, never had brunswick stew with multiple meats in it; very cool! sounds great!

Sounds kind of like Kentucky Burgoo I've seen made.

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/21/18 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

Sounds kind of like Kentucky Burgoo I've seen made.

Not a dimes worth of difference in them. But around here we call it Brunswick Stew. I usually make a big pot about the time it starts getting cold and freezing it in freezer bags and eating it all winter. That and a pan of cornbread and some bread and butter pickles is fine eating.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/21/18 06:46 PM

Little place in Sparta, GA called Straw's BBQ has some of the best Brunswick stew I've ever had. I thought it was normal to have multiple meats in it? There was a thread a while back where a bunch of different recipes were posted, I recall it b/c I was blasphemed for posting the "all canned goods" version of the recipe as a simple alternative when you didn't have the luxury of using home cooked meats or fresh veggies.

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/26/18 03:34 PM

This rainy cooler day has got me jonesing for some of this stew now lol.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/26/18 04:46 PM

Love it when it gets coolet.
Posted By: need2hunt

Re: Brunswick Stew - 09/26/18 09:29 PM

we always called it fire house stew because the volunteer fire departments sell it in the fall. Its alot better cooked over a fire so it gets that smoke flavor
Posted By: James

Re: Brunswick Stew - 10/02/18 06:22 AM

Wife makes it in the fall, but looks like it might be Christmas before she gets to make it this year lol...
Posted By: imadeerhntr

Re: Brunswick Stew - 10/06/18 05:10 PM

I had a recipe I found online last year. It was chicken and smoked pork shoulder and all the veggies and I remember it called for like a half a bottle of a specific bbq sauce. Didn’t sound good but I followed it to a t and it was some of the best I’ve ever had.

Re: Brunswick Stew - 10/09/18 02:32 PM

Gonna be stew weather next week boys and girls!
Posted By: JDR4Bama

Re: Brunswick Stew - 10/15/18 04:37 AM

What vessel is used to cook over fire? My dutch oven doesnt' seem to be big enough.
Posted By: inatree

Re: Brunswick Stew - 10/15/18 11:16 PM

[quote=NWALJM]Gonna be stew weather next week boys and girls![/quote

Dang Skippy ! Bring on the soups , stews and chilli's

Re: Brunswick Stew - 11/21/18 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by JDR4Bama
What vessel is used to cook over fire? My dutch oven doesnt' seem to be big enough.

I havw several different sizes of cast iron pots [aomw might even call them cauldrons] to use over the fire and they work like a charm.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Brunswick Stew - 11/21/18 02:54 AM

Big Bob Gibson's has some really good stew

Re: Brunswick Stew - 11/21/18 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tigger85
Big Bob Gibson's had some ok stew

Ain't nothing at Big Bob's good any more. Even the pie was not fit to eat last time I tried.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Brunswick Stew - 11/22/18 03:22 AM

Never did like their pies.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM