Aldeer.com

Brisket newbie

Posted By: inatree

Brisket newbie - 08/19/18 07:46 PM

This is first time I have ever tried doing a brisket. I have won contest with my buts, chicken and ribs. Just been chicken to try a brisket. I'll let yall know in a few hours how I did. I am about half way through now.

Re: Brisket newbie - 08/20/18 03:08 AM

Turned out great. Moist with a good smoke ring. 165 middle. The wife and granddaughters killed it.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Brisket newbie - 08/20/18 03:19 AM

Glad ya'll enjoyed it. it. Need some pics . I look for 196 in the middle
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: Brisket newbie - 08/20/18 01:12 PM

I cooked one about a month ago. Almost 20 hours of cook time and pulled it to rest when it hit 198 internal temp. I could cut it with a fork.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Brisket newbie - 08/20/18 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by inatree
Turned out great. Moist with a good smoke ring. 165 middle. The wife and granddaughters killed it.

mind sharing what you did? i'm "scared" of brisket - 'cause it's high as a kite & i don't wanna screw up a high-$$$ cut of meat ... lemme know

Re: Brisket newbie - 08/20/18 04:04 PM

I marinaded it in Stubs Beef marinade over night and injected it also. But my salt and pepper heavy on it and smoked it at 220-235 for about 10 hours ( this was just the flat not the whole brisket) when it hit 165° I pulled it off wrapped in aluminum foil and towels then stuck in a cooler for a couple hours. When I got it back out the temp probe would push threw it with not much effort. I am convinced that when you can push it threw with no effort it's good to go cause you have broken down all the connective tissue.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Brisket newbie - 08/23/18 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

mind sharing what you did? i'm "scared" of brisket - 'cause it's high as a kite & i don't wanna screw up a high-$$$ cut of meat ... lemme know

The easiest way to screw up a brisket is to get it to hot, but other than that they are not hard to cook. I just rub mine and smoke at 225, until internal temp hits 190 then I start probing it with the thermometer. When it slides in easy I pull and wrap and let it rest for a while. Having an electronic thermometer helps, since you don’t have to keep opening the lid to check temp during the cook which helps maintain a consistent temp.

I plan 1:15 per pound for cook time, but it can be more or less.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Brisket newbie - 08/23/18 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Bunny
Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

The easiest way to screw up a brisket is to get it to hot, but other than that they are not hard to cook. I just rub mine and smoke at 225, until internal temp hits 190 then I start probing it with the thermometer. When it slides in easy I pull and wrap and let it rest for a while. Having an electronic thermometer helps, since you don’t have to keep opening the lid to check temp during the cook which helps maintain a consistent temp.

I plan 1:15 per pound for cook time, but it can be more or less.

i've got all of the above & will probably try one this fall during football season ... i guess i'll experiment on a smaller brisket & see how it goes ... thx!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM