Aldeer.com

Mock tender steak

Posted By: Beadlescomb

Mock tender steak - 07/30/18 02:04 AM

Saw these at publix this afternoon and I dont guess I've ever seen them before. They were something like $4/lb and had decent marbling so what the heck I'll give them a try. I had been wanting to cook a steak in the cast iron pan and ruining an expensive filet would have sucked.. These were a couple of inches thick so I seasoned them with salt and pepper then rubbed them down with evoo and added a little oil to the pan. I cooked them on stove top for 90 seconds on each side then put it in the oven for 3 minutes on each side. I added a pat of butter when I flipped them and the end result was a medium steak that was surprisingly tender. Definetly the best $4 I've ever spent
Posted By: MattIce

Re: Mock tender steak - 07/30/18 02:49 AM

Need pics
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Mock tender steak - 07/30/18 03:33 AM

I’ve seen those steaks as well and was wondering if they were any good.
Posted By: Irishguy

Re: Mock tender steak - 07/30/18 10:42 AM

That sounds good. I need to look for them and try them out.

Re: Mock tender steak - 07/30/18 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by MattIce
Need pics

Gone too quick

Re: Mock tender steak - 07/30/18 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by 3toe
I’ve seen those steaks as well and was wondering if they were any good.

Originally Posted by Irishguy
That sounds good. I need to look for them and try them out.

The butcher at publix told me they were the 3rd most tender cut on a cow. I thought they were good just have to be careful to get ones with some fat. Several were very lean
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Mock tender steak - 07/30/18 02:32 PM

I make sure I cut the mock tender off of every deer shoulder. Good stuff. Never had a beef mock tender though.
Posted By: BC

Re: Mock tender steak - 07/30/18 03:00 PM

I watched a show one time where the meat industry was taking scraps of meat and using some sort of powdered meat glue to hold it together. There was some question in the long term health ramifications to this powdered meat glue. I wonder if that's what those steaks are that you are talking about.

Re: Mock tender steak - 07/30/18 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by BC
I watched a show one time where the meat industry was taking scraps of meat and using some sort of powdered meat glue to hold it together. There was some question in the long term health ramifications to this powdered meat glue. I wonder if that's what this is you are talking about?

It's a cut of meat off the shoulder. Not mock like fake
Posted By: BC

Re: Mock tender steak - 07/30/18 06:55 PM

Copy. Never heard of it.... learn something new every day.

I think what they were referring to was those hockey puck looking things that are wrapped in bacon and being sold as filet mignon.

Re: Mock tender steak - 07/30/18 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by BC
Copy. Never heard of it.... learn something new every day.

I think what they were referring to was those hockey puck looking things that are wrapped in bacon and being sold as filet mignon.

Probably the ones you see in the sealed plastic container
Posted By: Irishguy

Re: Mock tender steak - 07/30/18 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb

It's a cut of meat off the shoulder. Not mock like fake

That must have been what I had a Ovenbird that night. They called it "braised shoulder of beef." It was one of the best "steaks" I have ever had.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Mock tender steak - 07/30/18 08:03 PM

It's the teres major muscle. Acre in Auburn has it on their menu. It's fantastic.
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Mock tender steak - 07/31/18 12:26 AM

After you cut the mock tender off of a deer shoulder and trim it up it looks like a little tenderloin. Hence the name I guess. Does a beef mock tender look the same? Or more steak-like?

Re: Mock tender steak - 07/31/18 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by tbest3
After you cut the mock tender off of a deer shoulder and trim it up it looks like a little tenderloin. Hence the name I guess. Does a beef mock tender look the same? Or more steak-like?

It looks the same
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Mock tender steak - 07/31/18 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by tbest3

Intact it does. Sliced in cross section it will look a lot like a filet.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Mock tender steak - 08/02/18 05:21 AM

I bought 2 the other day for $6 and man they were good! I will buy them every time I see em from here on out.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Mock tender steak - 08/08/18 04:09 AM

I bought a 5 pack last night for less than $5. DANG! These little jewels are great! 1 1/2 minutes on each side at 400 and they'e perfect. Got 3 left for dinner (middle of the day meal in case y'all citified folks forgot) tomorrow.
Posted By: Damyankee

Re: Mock tender steak - 08/08/18 09:36 PM

These are labeled 'mock tender' at the store?

Re: Mock tender steak - 08/09/18 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Damyankee
These are labeled 'mock tender' at the store?

Yes
Posted By: James

Re: Mock tender steak - 08/09/18 09:03 PM

Mock steak I tried (been few years) was full of muscle and connective tissue, and it was chewy as hell. So I froze it, and added to a 15 bean soup....
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Mock tender steak - 08/14/18 03:43 PM

Mock tenders are great imo!
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Mock tender steak - 08/25/18 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by James
Mock steak I tried (been few years) was full of muscle and connective tissue, and it was chewy as hell. So I froze it, and added to a 15 bean soup....

My experience as well. I bought too and they were not edible.
Posted By: Dallas County

Re: Mock tender steak - 08/31/18 05:15 PM

Me too. After reading this I went and bought a pack. Seasoned them up, seared them on the grill to a perfect medium rare, let the rest and dug in. And dug and dug and dug. I'd say it's about halfway between jerkey and gizzards as far as texture. They looked good though!

Re: Mock tender steak - 08/31/18 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas County

Me too. After reading this I went and bought a pack. Seasoned them up, seared them on the grill to a perfect medium rare, let the rest and dug in. And dug and dug and dug. I'd say it's about halfway between jerkey and gizzards as far as texture. They looked good though!

Y'all must have went to the Vernon tull cooking school
Posted By: biglmbass

Re: Mock tender steak - 08/31/18 06:02 PM

lol VT cooking school.........

Re: Mock tender steak - 09/02/18 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by biglmbass
lol VT cooking school.........

LMAO!!! rofl
© 2024 ALDEER.COM