Aldeer.com

New Southern Cocktail...

Posted By: Irishguy

New Southern Cocktail... - 06/16/18 10:28 PM

So Irishguy is experimenting with cocktails now... Not fru fru chick type cocktails but real men's cocktails like Vodka martini's and Old Fashioned's, etc...

This one I'm calling the "Highway 11" because it runs from New Orleans all the way to the Canadian border and runs right through Birmingham, home of Buffalo Rock.

Fill a short glass with ice and add:

5 dashes of Peychauds bitters from New Olreans. Thanks TenX! grin (I guess you could use others like Angostura bitters, etc...)
1-2 oz of Wild Turkey 101 ( Or other high rye and high proof Bourbon)
Fill rest of glass with Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale (This makes the drink and gives a nice spicy finish on the back of your throat)
Stir vigorously to build up a nice froth in the drink.

It has a very colaesque taste to it with a nice spicy finish.

Trust me on this...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tbest3

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 06/16/18 11:05 PM

Nice. Think I’ll have myself a drink of 101 as well.
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 06/19/18 03:55 PM

Keep um coming. Im gonna have to go out and buy some new liquor to try all these drinks

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 06/21/18 11:30 PM

Having a “Highway 11” out by the pool this evening. Good call Irish thumbup
Posted By: hallb

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 06/22/18 01:11 AM

I love Buffalo Rock

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 06/22/18 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by tbest3
Having a “Highway 11” out by the pool this evening. Good call Irish thumbup

I'm glad you liked it.

I like that they're not too sweet and there's a nice kick on the finish.
Posted By: William

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/06/18 07:36 PM

Thank you.
Posted By: ttownwhitetail

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/09/18 11:27 PM

Try it with Ginger Beer and it’s even better. Gives you a little more of a kick.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/10/18 03:38 AM

Trust this guy’s post above but...

Fever Tree Naturally Light Ginger Beer is the one.

Throw the Gingerale in da trash bucket, and crush up a sprig of Thyme.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/10/18 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Trust this guy’s post above but...

Fever Tree Naturally Light Ginger Beer is the one.

Throw the Gingerale in da trash bucket, and crush up a sprig of Thyme.

[Linked Image]

Know how I know you're gay?

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/10/18 04:42 AM

Is that one if those buffalo rock southern spice drinks in the can?

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/10/18 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb
Is that one if those buffalo rock southern spice drinks in the can?

Yes. It is more spicy than any ginger beer I have ever tasted. Plus it is uniquely Southern and Alabama.

Interesting facts about Buffalo Rock.

https://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/06/ginger_ale.html

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/10/18 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by ttownwhitetail
Try it with Ginger Beer and it’s even better. Gives you a little more of a kick.

Did you even try the drink like I originally made it? Because I've tried ginger beers and they don't have the kick that Buffalo Rock does.

Y'all can go create your own drink, but don't try to go F&^%$* up mine.

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/10/18 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Irishguy

Did you even try the drink like I originally made it? Because I've tried ginger beers and they don't have the kick that Buffalo Rock does.

Y'all can go create your own drink, but don't try to go F&^%$* up mine.

Someone had a little too much to drink 😂😂😂

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/11/18 05:51 AM

Extremely sorry Irish guy, meant no harm with my reply. I have had Buffalo Rock ginger ale and I do like it very much. I just haven’t found any ginger ale that has the bite of the ginger beer that I drink. It’s just a personal preference.

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/11/18 11:17 AM

Extremely sorry Irish guy, meant no harm with my reply. I have had Buffalo Rock ginger ale and I do like it very much. I just haven’t found any ginger ale that has the bite of the ginger beer that I drink. It’s just a personal preference.

I was halfass kidding. but I will say that the drink stands on it's own as per the original recipe. I have had quite a few ginger beers and I know they are the "in thing" right now with the surge in popularity of the Moscow Mule, etc... but sometimes it is interesting to go back to some vintage concoctions and give them a try.

That was kind of the point to my drink. Wild Turkey, bitters and Buffalo Rock. Old school. Not fru fru stuff.

What Ginger beer specifically do you think has more kick than Buffalo Rock? Because I'm going got do a taste test and see.

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/12/18 06:12 AM

I like the “Reeds with extra ginger”. It’s kinda hard to find. But I buy it at World Market or Mana Grocery here in Tuscaloosa. If you ever come across any Ginger Purée, that’s even stronger. When you get a Montana Mule at Longhorn steakhouse they use the ginger Purée with the Whiskey. It’s good as well.
Posted By: Drew11

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/16/18 01:22 PM

Wanted to try this this weekend, could not find the Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale...

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/17/18 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Drew11

It seems Winn Dixie usually has it. Maybe because your in Title-town.
Posted By: Drew11

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/17/18 02:54 PM

Didnt try Winn Dixie, even made a rare trip to Wally World thinking if anyone had it it would be them, but no dice.

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/18/18 12:40 AM

Didnt try Winn Dixie, even made a rare trip to Wally World thinking if anyone had it it would be them, but no dice.

I picked up a 12 pack of buffalo rock at Publix this afternoon. Had a ribeye and baked potato then mixed me up a Highway 11 for dessert. thumbup
Posted By: dsmc

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/26/18 01:11 AM

Another satisfied customer......I’m a little slowposting, been drinking these a couple of weeks now.
[Linked Image]

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/26/18 03:54 AM

That buffalo rock stuff ain't fit to drink. I had one once on a hot dove field and dang near threw up. I can drink most anything except for that

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/26/18 03:59 AM

That buffalo rock stuff ain't fit to drink. I had one once on a hot dove field and dang near threw up. I can drink most anything except for that

I drink one about every other morning. I like em. And they dang sure mix well with wild turkey 101.

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/27/18 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by dsmc
Another satisfied customer......I’m a little slowposting, been drinking these a couple of weeks now.
[Linked Image]

Damn son! It's a cocktail not a glass of ice tea! A few of those and you'll be running around the pasture nekkid. grin

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/27/18 10:30 AM

I'm not a fan of Buffalo Rock straight. That's why there's still a half a case of it in the fridge (Left there by Mrs. Irish's girlfriend Karen) So that's partially why I invented this drink... TO figure out a way to use them up.

I assure you this drink is waaaayyyyy better than a Buffalo Rock straight up.

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/29/18 12:10 AM

Restocked the 101 supply this afternoon. Working on my second highway 11 about to throw a ribeye on the grill thumbup thanks again Irish for this concoction.

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/29/18 12:18 AM

I'm not a fan of Buffalo Rock straight. That's why there's still a half a case of it in the fridge (Left there by Mrs. Irish's girlfriend Karen) So that's partially why I invented this drink... TO figure out a way to use them up.

Like I posted earlier, I like Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale by itself and normally drink one every other morning or so. But with this drink it’s like the bourbon mellows out the stoutness of the ginger ale, even though it’s normally supposed to be the other way around. All I know is it’s a damn good drink.
Posted By: dsmc

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/29/18 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by dsmc
[Linked Image]

Damn son! It's a cocktail not a glass of ice tea! A few of those and you'll be running around the pasture nekkid. grin

I don’t have to make as many trips.....2 is about all you need🤪🤪

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 07/29/18 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by tbest3

Like I posted earlier, I like Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale by itself and normally drink one every other morning or so. But with this drink it’s like the bourbon mellows out the stoutness of the ginger ale, even though it’s normally supposed to be the other way around. All I know is it’s a damn good drink.

I think you hit the nail on the head, The bourbon actually mellows out the Buffalo Rock and the bitters adds this sort of mystery taste in there that kind of hints of cola or Dr. Pepper.
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: New Southern Cocktail... - 08/08/18 11:21 PM

I like beer but I honestly cant stand ginger beer
© 2024 ALDEER.COM